Page 17 of 43 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Morning Glories (16-26) - Still good but I'm losing interest with this arc
    Spider-Man: Family Business OGN - This was fantastic and I highly recommend it
    The Shadow Hero OGN - Get this now!
    Squadron Supreme (1-7) - Decent stuff
    Black Panther and the Crew #1 Cool start
    Captain America (6-19) - The weaker part of Brubaker's run

Total = 434
    Last edited by UltimateTy; 04-16-2017 at 09:04 PM.
    We need better comics

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    2017 Total: 502 issues in 100 days - 50% done! (+228 issues from 1k pace, -50 issues from 2017 pace)

Average Issue Rating: 3.34/5 (-.1)

Most-Read Series:
    1. Justice League (2011) - 50 issues
    2. Gotham Central (2003) - 40 issues
    3. Wonder Woman (1987) - 31 issues

Highest-Rated Series:
    1. Detective Comics (2016) - 4.64 (+1.3 avg)
    2. Clean Room (2015) - 4.42/5 (+1.08 avg)
    3. Black Monday Murders (2016) - 4.33/5 (+.99 avg)
    2017 Total: 540 issues in 107 days, 38 new issues read, now 54% done!
    (+246 issues from 1k pace, -51 issues from 2017 pace)

Average Issue Rating: 3.34/5 (no change!)

Most-Read Series: (no change!)

Highest-Rated Series:
    1. Clean Room (2015) - 4.42/5 (+1.08 avg)
    2. Black Monday Murders (2016) - 4.33/5 (+.99 avg)
    3. Detective Comics (2016) - 4.28 (+.94 avg)

Read since last week, with *s on runs I recommend:
    All-New Wolverine (2016) #1-7 *
    Batman (2016) #1-8
    Detective Comics (2016) #941-942
    Black Panther & The Crew (2017) #1 *
    Squirrel Girl (2015A) #1
    Nightwing (2016) #1-6 *
    Old Man Logan (2016) #1-2
    Scarlet Witch (2016) #1-3
    Uncanny X-Men (2016) #1-5
    Weapon X (2017) #1
    Wonder Woman (1987) Annual 1
    X-Men Blue (2017) #1
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

Spectacular Member

2017 Week 15

Easter Holiday

Total for the week: 0
    Total for the year: 432

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    I liked the political angle with the new president trying to make his mark, but getting seemingly sabotaged at every turn. And of course there's the allure of "what's out there?" Like i said, decent story and the art was sub par, but i have to admit I'm banking on Soule's rep more than anything here. I'll more than likely give it another arc.
    The politics I liked. I'll keep any eye out for the next book you read in this series.

All-New Member

Rebirth
    Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps 6-7 – Really enjoyed this, one of my favourite from Rebirth.
    Justice League one shot plus 1-5 – Fine, but nothing special.
    Nightwing one shot plus 1-2 – Pretty good.

New 52

Red Lanterns 1-3 - I remember giving up on this previously and I’m not exactly loving it, but its definitely better than I remember it being. Will at least finish this TPB.
    JL Dark 1-6 – Reread as I continue to race through all the new 52 stuff I can find in the library. This is a favourite of mine, enjoyed it just as much second time around.
    Batman 25-27, 29-33 – I wasn’t really feeling this, and not sure if I’ve just read a LOT of Batman stuff recently. I took v1 out of the library (this was the end of the Zero Year storyline) but maybe going to take it back and leave it for a while.
    Zero Year (12 issues) – This was great, I loved Catwoman and Black Canary, Jim Gordon especially
    Batwoman 1-6 – Enjoyed this a lot.
    H for Hero 1-3 – I find Mieville hit and miss as a writer (I’ve tried a few novels, loved Un Lun Dun but was less keen on the others) and this was a ‘miss’.

Older DC/Vertigo

Gotham Central 1-4 – Decent, but didn’t love it.
    Superman: Red Son (3 issues) – I thought this was superb! Definitely becoming a big Superman fan at last.
    Y the Last Man 1-25 – I’ve somehow never finished this before, so rereading and aiming to actually complete it this time!
    Wonder Woman: Love and Murder – As a fan of Jodi Picoult’s novels, I was hoping to like this more than I did.
    100 Bullets 1-7 – Intriguing, looking forward to reading more.
    Sandman 1-16 – I’ve tried this before but gave up after one issue and rereading I have NO clue why. A couple of the individual issues (the dreams in the diner, and the convention) are too dark for me to really like, but overall it’s just as stunning as people kept telling me.

Southern Bastards 5-14 – Superb, Boss is one of the greatest villains I’ve discovered recently.
    Sex Criminals 6 – 15 – Loved the second TPB, which I thought had stunning characterisation, not quite so keen on the third.
    East of West 1-5 - outstanding, stunning art
    Kill or Be Killed 1 - 4 - really interesting story.

Marvel

Ultimate Spider-Man 47-49 - I love Spidey, but got distracted a bit here by X-Men. Three good issues though!
    Ultimate X Men 50-60 – Sinister on the scene is interesting, and The Most Dangerous Game sticks in my mind as one of the arcs that has stuck in my mind most since reading these the first time around. Consistently enjoyable stuff.
    Tomb of Dracula 1-4 – Reread of one of the first comics I really loved. (I’m not saying it’s especially good or anything, but it holds a place in my heart anyway.)
    Moon Knight (1980) 1 – 4 – I only picked this up because Moon Knight crossed my mind for some reason and I realised I’d never read any of his solos, but I’m finding it really enjoyable in that cheesy 80s Marvel way. Loved the second issue especially, in which he and his new team track down a killer preying on homeless people.
    Marvel Premiere 15-16 – First couple of issues introducing Iron Fist, and again they’re incredibly cheesy, but I’m enjoying them.
    Wolverine 145-147, Cable 75-76, Uncanny X-Men 376-377, X-Men 96-97 - I'm trying to get back into the 616 X-Men and this was recommended as a good jumping on point by Comic Book Herald (it's The Twelve crossover.) Generally fun, with Wolverine probably my favourite of the four titles.

Others

Wild's End 1-6 - Gorgeous, a new favourite of mine. Loved the artwork and found the plot compelling.
    A contract with God (176 pages, counts as 8 issues) – I’ve been meaning to read it for ages and didn’t particularly enjoy it, sadly – so dark a lot of the time.
    Freelancers 1-3 – It was okay, but I just felt I’d read so many similar books and this wasn’t a particularly strong example.
    The Colour of Magic 1 – I love Discworld, but the early novels aren’t my favourites and this adaptation didn’t hold my attention

Total for the year so far: 568

Hi everyone, I am new to the forums, and relatively new to comics. This thread seems like a good way to keep track, motivate myself to read, and get ideas from others. Here is my 2017 so far:

Publisher Title Date finished Volume Issues Total: 77
    Dark Horse Chronicles of Conan TPB 1/4/2017 5 8
    Dark Horse Chronicles of Conan TPB 1/25/2017 10 11
    Image Autumlands TPB 3/18/2017 1 6
    Image Autumlands TPB 3/25/2017 2 8
    Dark Horse Tarzan: Complete Kubert Years 4/14/2017 1 28
    Dark Horse Samurai: Heaven and Earth 4/14/2017 1 5
    Orion Asterix Omnibus 4/15/2017 1 6
    Image Monstress TPB 4/19/2017 1 5

**EDIT** Sorry my post is so ugly, need to learn how to format...was copy-pasting from excel.

Quote Originally Posted by Conan the Accountant View Post
    Hi everyone, I am new to the forums, and relatively new to comics. This thread seems like a good way to keep track, motivate myself to read, and get ideas from others. Here is my 2017 so far:

**EDIT** Sorry my post is so ugly, need to learn how to format...was copy-pasting from excel.
    welcome! Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Conan the Accountant View Post

How did you like Autumnlands Vol. 2? I read Vol. 1 back when it first released and thought it was ok. I enjoyed it, but something seemed a little off and I decided to hold off on Vol. 2 unless i saw some really good reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormegil View Post
    How did you like Autumnlands Vol. 2? I read Vol. 1 back when it first released and thought it was ok. I enjoyed it, but something seemed a little off and I decided to hold off on Vol. 2 unless i saw some really good reviews.
    It was OK, but I liked the first one a lot more. I thought it went in kind of a strange direction. If you can get a used copy really cheap, it might be worth your time, but if you're not dying to know what happens, I think you can skip it.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Lot of old school stuff. Had you read this before or first time?
    I read the Spider-Man stuff, Bendis Daredevil, Dark Victory and Heroes Reborn Fantastic Four before.

It's my first time reading Rosalie Lightning, Rolling Blackout, A Drifting Life, the Punisher issues, The Untold Legend of Batman, Power Up and the Marvel Two in One issues.

Part of it is that I borrowed some comics collections from the library including Alan Davis' Batman omnibus, and finally read some stuff I picked up in dollar bins.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Spectacular Member

2017 Week 16

Daredevil Epic Collection: Brother, Take My Hand (22 issues)

Total for the week: 22
    Total for the year: 454

Mighty Member

update:

The Fix TP v2 (4) & I Hate Fairyland TP v2 (5) - Think I'm done with both of these. As much as i love Young's art on IHF, the story just isn't doing it for me. The Fix has its (few) moments, but overall I come away feeling the same.

219 + 9 = 228 for the year

2017 top 5:

1. Velvet HC
    2. Black Hammer TP v1
    3. Peter Panzerfaust HC v1
    4. Bloodshot Reborn HC v1
    5. Chew HC v6

Latest Contributions:

Uncanny X-Men: #21
    Fables #1-10
    MMPR #14
    God Country #4
    Felix Leiter #4
    All-Star Batman #6-9
    Green Lantern Rebirth #1-6

Drenai Novels
    Legend
    The Kind Beyond the Gate

Beginning 30/3/17
    Total = 60

Boom Comics - 1
    MMPR - #14

Dark Horse - 5
    Ether - #1-5

DC - 26
    All-Star Batman - #6-9
    Aquaman N52 - #32-40
    Diablo: Sword of Justice - #1-5
    Green Lantern Rebirth - #1-6
    Secret Origins N52 - #2 and #5

Dynamite Entertainment - 4
    James Bond: Black Box - #1-2
    James Bond: Hammerhead - #6
    Felix Leiter - #4

Image - 3
    Mayday - #5
    Motor Crush - #5
    God Country - #4

Marvel - 11
    Uncanny X-Men - #15-21
    Weapon X - #1
    X-Men Blue - #1
    X-Men Gold - #1
    X-Men Prime (one-shot) - #1

Vertigo - 10
    Fables - #1-10

Other Books - 2
    Drenai - Legend
    Drenai - The King Beyond the Gate
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Batman: Knightfall Omnibus Vol. 1 (Vengeance of Bane #1, Batman #484-488, Detective Comics 654-656) - Great so far!
    Morning Glories #27
    Nick Fury #1
    Black Panther: World of Wakanda #6
    Secret Empire #0
    Sandman 41-43 - I'm really digging this arc
    Drax The Destroyer 1-4 and Annihilation Prologue - I couldn't get into this and I'm pretty sure I read Drax recently before or tried to read it.

Total = 455
    Last edited by UltimateTy; 04-30-2017 at 06:04 PM.
    We need better comics

Sandman #29-39: "A Game of You" is an excellent mix of twisted fantasy with early 90s character study. The rest are excellent single issue stories tying Dream to various historic eras. The spotlight on the self-proclaimed emperor of San Francisco is a highlight.

Karnak #1-6
    : It's not bad, but it's generic Ellis, with a slightly different type of cynical, brilliant lead.

Ex Machina #12-25, Special #1-2: Excellent mix of political drama, sci fi and personal drama. "The March to War" is a particular favorite. It's becoming an effective period piece about the post 9/11 United States.

Avengers (Volume 3) #1-11, 1998 Annual: The art by Perez (with Pacheco on the annual) is obviously beautiful, while the team dynamic is strong, even if the enemies aren't A-listers yet.

Impact Comics #1,5: The gimmick of this EC comic was that the stories all had twist endings, usually with characters being as surprised by the readers to learn the truth. The art is exceptional, especially Bernard Krigstein's stories.

Scalped #12-20: It's a crime drama in an unusual well-realized setting (a Native American reservation.) The main story pushes the lead to his limit, as he tries to help the mother of a murdered son (while denying his own pain) and realizing that there's a conspiracy to protect the killer by the people he works. I can't say I've ever read anything better by Jason Aaron and that's not an insult on his other work.

Marvel Team Up #135, 136: Solid, relatively disposable standalones from a writer who had lengthy runs on Spider-Man before (Mantlo) and one who would go on to that in the future (Michelinie)

The Pushman and Other Stories: Interesting manga short story anthology of some messed up relatively ordinary people in Post-World War 2 Japan. Lots of dead babies in sewers.

Best of the lot: "The Master Race" from Impact! #1, possibly the best comic book story under ten pages.

Total So Far: 415 Issues, 13 Graphic Novels
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets