Page 26 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    Update:

Joe Hill IDW Collection (12) - Couple page turners in here. Haven't finished the last story yet. Not a big horror fan, so i probably won't revisit. Also my copy had some messed up signatures for the first several issues. Seem to have this happen with IDW more than any other publisher

Invincible HC v8 (12) - solid as usual

Kraven's Last Hunt Epic (20) - had several double size or more issues so i counted for 20, sue me. Took at minute to get my mind back in 80s mode, but enjoyed this for the most part, even the Spidey Slayer 2 parter

Venom (2016) v1 TP (6) - Rarely buy Marvel trades, but Venom back being Venom? How could i not? 12 year old me would've had some strong words if I didn't. I've been keeping up with the monthly thread in the Spider-Man forum, and those people have been ripping on this hard. Whatever. It's not perfect, but as a means to an end it's not bad, and I've been waiting a long time for a return to the original status quo.

357 + 50 = 407 for the year
    am I the only person on the planet who thinks Flash was a much more interesting Venom than Eddie ever was? I really liked the idea of him gaining legs with the symbiote but can't be bonded with it for a long time. Also they are using basically a parasite monster for military purposes. I see much more potential there than with Eddie who really, really hates Spider-man and wants to eat his brain. I'm also not a fan of his monster form.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    am I the only person on the planet who thinks Flash was a much more interesting Venom than Eddie ever was? I really liked the idea of him gaining legs with the symbiote but can't be bonded with it for a long time. Also they are using basically a parasite monster for military purposes. I see much more potential there than with Eddie who really, really hates Spider-man and wants to eat his brain. I'm also not a fan of his monster form.
    I had zero issues with flash as venom. I thought it was a great idea. However, I've always had issues with how the did Brock and og Venom, with the cancer and the failed attempts with different hosts, etc. Left a really bad taste in my mouth for a long time. Sure, he's pretty one dimensional, but the nostalgia is strong with that one. Couldn't get enough as a kid.
    Last edited by awayne83; 07-13-2017 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I'm in complete agreement with you. Flash was a better lead, and he's always been a better character than Eddie Brock.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    I had zero issues with flash as venom. I thought it was a great idea. However, I've always had issues with how the did Brock and og Venom, with the cancer and the failed attempts with different hosts, etc. Left a really bad taste in my mouth for a long time. Sure, he's pretty one dimensional, but the nostalgia is strong with that one. Couldn't get enough as a kid.
    why can't they tell past stories with him? I'm pretty sure EddieVenom is a nostalgia character for 95% of the readers, they should just do a series with him set in the 90s. I loved Venom as a kid but when I've read his origin in the Michelinie/McFarlane omnibus a couple of years ago I was very disappointed, it didn't hold up at all (unlike UXM or the Stern stuff which is still great).

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I'm in complete agreement with you. Flash was a better lead, and he's always been a better character than Eddie Brock.
    too bad the movie (which I have very little interest in) will feature Eddie. Although they could just use Flash's story and make Eddie a veteran who has a love/hate relationship with Spidey (or more like being jealous, although if he is in the military it would work even better with Cap).

Mighty Member

update:

Descender TP v4 (5) - Still enjoying this, but wish there was more meat to it. Always ends up being a quick read.

Cannibal TP v1 (4) - Wow. Really ended up liking this. Wasn't too keen on another "zombie" take, and am more familiar with Buccellato as and artist, so didn't really know what to expect. Compelling story & characters, the art is solid, definitely recommend. Most of my favorite reads this year have come from low expectations it seems.

Invisible Republic TP v3 (5) - Another solid volume. This story is a great sci-fi thriller (i guess?) that takes place equally over two time-lines.

407 + 14 + 421 for the year

2017 top 5:

1. Velvet HC
    2. Black Hammer TP v1
    3. Peter Panzerfaust HC v1
    4. Daredevil by Bru Omni v1
    5. Cannibal TP v1
    Last edited by awayne83; 07-14-2017 at 05:51 PM.

Spectacular Member

2017 Week 28

Amazing Spider-man Epic Collection 17 Kraven's Last Hunt (20 issues)
    Spectacular Spider-man 178-200 (25 issues)

Total for the week: 45
    Total for the year: 831

Superman/ Batman #1-26: Nice art, and crazy concepts. The biggest drawback is the sometimes convoluted narrative style, with parallel events for Batman or Superman in addition to their narration which often covers different stuff.

My Black Friend: I saw it on NPR's Top 100. Effective comics essay on racial prejudice that gets more specific to one person's experiences.

Our Love is Real: The one-shot that introduced Sam Humphries with a bang. Messed up and hilarious, set in a world where bestiality and homosexuality is the norm, and a cop questions his attraction to a woman (who is sexually attracted to crystals.)

Detective Comics #469-476, 478-479: One of the best short runs of any superhero comic. Has excellent challenges for the superhero (including stories that turned Hugo Strange and Deadshot from obscure Golden Age figures to indelible parts of the rogues gallery) with the most iconic personal story for Bruce Wayne.

From Hell #1-11: Chilling almost manner of fact take on one theory of the Jack the Ripper killers, featuring a conspiracy in chronological order, plus meditations on history and paganism, and complications when the hired killer goes increasingly mad. I haven't reread it in years, so I have a better appreciation for some events (reading the Elephant Man play and seeing the movie provide some context for his brief appearances.)

Uncle Scrooge Volume 1 #1-5: Fun Carl Barks stories where longer stories explore Scrooge's history, and

Graphic Novel #26) March Volume 3: The excellent memoir gets to key events of the Civil Rights struggle, showing what it was like at the time (It wasn't clear LBJ could be trusted, the decision to back Martin Luther King's approach meant John Lewis had to leave his organization.)

Graphic Novel #27) A Theory of the Grain of Sand: Beautiful art, as people react to absurd events in a mostly measured way in an era that is similar to 19th Century Europe.

And some Spider-Man....

Radioactive Spider-Gwen #1-6: Decent volume exploring parts of the aftermath of Gwen's greatest tragedy. Just not as exciting as the earlier issues.

Silk Volume 2 #1-6: Silk is spread too thin as she goes undercover in Black Cat's organization. There are a lot of balls in the air, although it's generally handled pretty well.

Graphic Novel #28) Amazing Spider-Man: Family Business Beautiful art by Gabriele Dell'otto in an OGN that uses the format well. Waid and Robinson come up with an epic challenge for Peter, and have a good sense of the small moments.

Amazing Spider-Man #9: With Lee/ Ditko, you get genius storytelling and enough concepts in one issue to fuel a run of comics. Spider-Man spends most of the night looking for crime, but finding nothing but an amateur astronomer with a weird telescope. Here, Aunt May has a medical emergency, we get hints of Betty Brant's troubles, an ending that subverts the norm for Spider-Man (Peter thinks his romantic life sucks, and Betty seeks him out), the debut of an A-list villain, Peter faking incriminating evidence against himself in order to pay for May's medical expenses, and Electro freeing prisoners in order to get loyal stooges (and some of the prisoners decide they'll be better off without the colorfully colored nutcase.

Amazing Spider-Man #10: Another solid Lee/ Ditko issue. The Big Man and the Enforcers aren't A-listers, but they've stuck around for decades. Peter allows himself to be captured by the bad guys in order to get closer to them. Jonah becomes a suspect when there's a mystery supervillain. A seemingly one-dimensional character has a painful realization about his reasons for hating Spider-Man.

Total So Far: 1,132 Issues, 28 Graphic Novels

Best of the batch: From Hell. Bit of a weird contrast to go from that to superhero comics, or Barks' Scrooge.

Personal Challenge Progress: 39 Issues from the 2010s, 38 issues from the 2000s, 17 issues from the 1990s, 7 issues from the 1980s, 10 issues from the 1970s, 2 issues from the 1960s, 12 issues from the 1950s, 19 black & white issues, 32 issues from Comics Journal's Top 100 (Lee/ Ditko's Amazing Spider-Man, Carl Barks' Scrooge, From Hell)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Spectacular Member

2017 Week 29

Wonder Woman by George Perez 27-50, Annual 2 (27 issues)
    Seven Soldiers by Grant Morrison (30 issues)
    Buck Danny Integrale 12 (9 issues)

Total for the week: 66
    Total for the year: 897

Sandman Omnibus Vol 2 (#57-60)
    American Vampire Vol 1 (#1-5)
    Invincible (#9-18)
    Umbrella Academy Vol 1 (#1-6)
    Spider-Men II #1
    Peter Parker Spectacular Spider-Man #2
    Secret Empire #6
    Batman Gotham by Gaslight TPB

Total = 724
    We need better comics

Mighty Member

update:

Giant Days HC v1 (8) - Had high hopes for this one, as I enjoy high school/college focused stuff. Good, not great. Some funny moments here and there. Will give v2 a go.

Moonshine TP v1 (6) - NOT what i expected it to be at all, but turned out to be really enjoyable anyways. I was worried for Image for a while with all their big titles sort of winding down. A lot of books coming out i hadn't been that interested in, seemed like a lot of the same type of things. But there's definitely some stuff to be excited about that I've sampled recently.

Monstress TP v2 (6) - Thought the first volume was good, albeit a bit over-hyped. But Liu is continuing to sell me on this series with some great writing and character moments, as she (and Takeda) continue to expose us to more in this sprawling fantasy epic.

421 + 20 = 441 for the year

2017 top 5:

1. Velvet HC
    2. Black Hammer TP v1
    3. Peter Panzerfaust HC v1
    4. Daredevil by Bru Omni v1
    5. Cannibal TP v1
    Last edited by awayne83; 07-23-2017 at 09:24 PM.

Stumptown Volume 2 #1-5/ Volume 3 #1-5: Solid modern private eye stories that use the setting well, though it does take itself a bit too seriously at times (especially the concerns over soccer hooliganism reaching the pacific northwest.)

Wonder Woman Volume 4 #14-23: Simone and company provide interesting challenges to Wonder Woman, while exploring her fundamental decency and new facets of life among the Amazons.

The Spirit (Kitchen Sink Press) #33-51: I'm reading this in the Archives collections (Volumes 17-19) and this is some of the best storytelling in the comics medium. Some of the experiments don't work as well, but those are seven pages, and followed by something really clever.

THUNDER Agents #1-4: It's a good concept as different artists depict the solo adventures of the heroes. The worst of it is silver age stories that are more readable than average. The best is Wally West's incredible storytelling.

Graphic Novel #29: Goodnight Punpun Volume 1- It's a coming of age series that uses the visual conceit pretty well (the family of the lead is depicted as cartoon birds) and is also elevated by the story's willingness to take dark parents (the dad is jailed.)

Graphic Novel #30: Brighter than You Think- the Short Fiction of Alan Moore: The cover price is steep for about 80 pages of short stories, and some interesting commentary. Amazon's price is reasonable, and it does include some exceptional work (especially "In Pictopia"- as a cartoon struggles with the changes around him.)

And some Spider-Man...

Marvel Team-Up #72
    Radioactive Spider-Gwen #9-15, Annual #1
    Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #22-23, 25-31

Total So Far: 1,192 Issues, 30 Graphic Novels

Best of the batch: Eisner's Spirit. If I had to go with a specific tale, it would be "The Story of Gerard Shnobble" about a very unconventional bystander. The back issues may be a pain to hunt down, and the archives expensive, but the Best of Will Eisner's Spirit TPB is an excellent primer for anyone with any appreciation for older comics.

Personal Challenge Progress: 57 Issues from the 2010s, 48 issues from the 2000s, 17 issues from the 1990s, 7 issues from the 1980s, 20 issues from the 1970s, 6 issues from the 1960s, 12 issues from the 1950s, 19 issues from the 1940s, 19 black & white issues, 52 issues from Comics Journal's Top 100 (adding Eisner's Spirit and In Pictopia)

I might've screwed up with a few elements of the personal challenge for the later half of the year. The majority of the Comics Journal Top 100 isn't really in single issue form, although I've got enough issues from those runs. The same is true of a lot of the best black and white comics, but that's still manageable. The biggest problem is the 1940s, since so many comics tended to be bigger, and so many comics were anthologies (for example- Plastic Man appeared in Police Comics, along with characters who have nowhere near the same staying power.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I'm in Glasgow over summer for a research project and I am getting very little free time, but what I do get I've mostly spent exploring Glasgow, and perhaps a touch of Magic and D&D haha Thus, my reading has slowed down and I am very unlikely to reach 1000!

Latest Contributions: - 70
    How to Understand Israel in 60 Days or Less - 9
    She Died in Terrebone - 3
    Sherlock: Study in Pink - 6
    Detective Comics: Anarky - 5
    Detective Comics: Blood of Heroes - 7
    Detective Comics: Gordon at War - 6
    James Bond: Felix Leiter #6
    James Bond: Black Box #4
    Crosswind #1
    Nom: The Demon Eater (1)
    Cosplay Killers #1
    Cosplay Killers #2
    Lucid - 4
    Power Rangers: Aftershock - 3
    Rolling Blackouts - 13

Other Books - 4
    Drenai: Waylander II
    Doctor Who: The Clockwise Man
    Doctor Who: Winner Takes All
    Magic the Gathering: Chandra's Origin

Beginning 30/3/17
    Total = 497

Aftershock - 6
    Alters - #1-6

Agreeable Comics - 3
    She Died in Terrebone - (3)

Apparat - 2
    Crecy (2)

Archaia - 4
    Lucid - #1-4

Bloomsbury - 6
    Psychiatric Tales - #1-6

Boom Comics - 4
    MMPR - #14
    Saban's Power Rangers: Aftershock - (3)

CrossGen - 1
    Negation: Prequel - #1

Dark Horse - 8
    Ether - #1-5
    James Bond: Serpent's Tooth - #1-3

DC - 125
    All-Star Batman New 52 - #6-10
    Aquaman New 52 - #32-52
    Batman - #484-500
    Batman: Shadow of the Bat - #16-18
    Batman: Sword of Azrael - #1-4
    Batman: Vengeance of Bane - #1
    Detective Comics (N52) - #35-52
    Detective Comics - #654-666
    Diablo: Sword of Justice - #1-5
    Green Lantern - #1-6
    Green Lantern: Rebirth - #1-6
    Green Lantern: Revenge of the Green Lanterns - #1-7
    Green Lantern: Secret Files - #1
    How to Understand Israel in 60 Days or Less - (9)
    Legends of the Dark Knight - #11-15
    Secret Origins New 52 - #2 and #5
    Showcase '93 - #7-8

Drawn and Quarterly - 13
    Rolling Blackouts - (13)

Dynamite Entertainment - 15
    James Bond: Black Box - #1-4
    James Bond: Felix Leiter - #4-6
    James Bond: Hammerhead - #6
    James Bond: Service #1
    James Bond: VARGR - #1-6

IDW - 88
    TMNT - #13-37
    TMNT Annuals - 2012, 2014
    TMNT Microseries: Alopex - #1
    TMNT Microseries: April O'Neil - #1
    TMNT Microseries: Baxter Stockman - #1
    TMNT Microseries: Bebop and Rocksteady - #1
    TMNT Microseries: Casey Jones - #1
    TMNT Microseries: Fugitoid - #1
    TMNT Microseries: Hun - #1
    TMNT Microseries: Karai - #1
    TMNT Microseries: Krang - #1
    TMNT Microseries: Old Hob - #1
    TMNT Microseries: Shredder - #1
    TMNT: The Secret History of the Foot Clan - #1-4
    TMNT: Utrom Empire - #1-3
    Transformers: Escalation - #1-6
    Transformers: Devastation - #1-6
    Transformers: Infiltration - #0-6
    Transformers: Megatron Origin - #1-4
    Transformers: Stormbringer - #1-4
    Transformers Spotlight: Arcee - #1
    Transformers Spotlight: Blaster - #1
    Transformers Spotlight: Blurr - #1
    Transformers Spotlight: Cliffjumper - #1
    Transformers Spotlight: Galvatron - #1
    Transformers Spotlight: Grimlock - #1
    Transformers Spotlight: Hot Rod - #1
    Transformers Spotlight: Kup - #1
    Transformers Spotlight: Mirage - #1
    Transformers Spotlight: Nightbeat - #1
    Transformers Spotlight: Ramjet - #1
    Transformers Spotlight: Shockwave - #1
    Transformers Spotlight: Sixshot - #1
    Transformers Spotlight: Soundwave - #1
    Transformers Spotlight: Ultra Magnus - #1
    Transformers Spotlight: Wheelie - #1

Image - 44
    After Death - #1-3
    Crosswind - #1
    Curse Words - #1-5
    God Country - #4
    Mayday - #5
    Motor Crush - #5
    Phonogram: Rue Britannia - #1-6
    Phonogram: The Singles Club - #1-7
    Phonogram: The Immaterial Girl - #1-6
    Phonogram: Side Stories - #1
    The Wicked + The Divine - #1-11

J.C.DiDomenick - 9
    Rain - #1-9

Legend Books - 4
    Legend: The Graphic Novel (4)

Marvel - 93
    Avengers: Annuals - #10
    Bizarre Adventures - #27
    Generation X - #1
    Giant Size X-men - #1
    Jean Grey - #2
    Marvel Fanfare (1982) - #1-4
    Marvel Team-Up (1972) - #100
    Marvel Treasury Edition - #26-27
    Phoenix: The Untold Story - #1
    Totally Awesome Hulk - #19
    Uncanny X-Men - #15-22. 94-153
    Uncanny X-Men: Annuals - 3, 1970 (#4-5)
    Weapon X - #1-3
    X-Men Blue - #1-4
    X-Men Gold - #1-4
    X-Men Prime (one-shot) - #1

Matador - 3
    Agincourt 1415 (3)

Self Published - 3
    Nom: The Demon Eater - (1)
    Cosplay Killers - #1-2

Soaring Penguin Press - 15
    Loisel's Peter Pan - 15

Titan Books - 18
    James Bond Spectre: The Complete Comic Strip Collection (12)
    Sherlock: A Study in Pink - #1-6

Valiant - 1
    XO Man-O-War - #1

Vertigo - 20
    Fables - #1-18
    Fables: The Last Castle - #1
    Fables: A Wolf in the Fold - #1

Other Books - 15
    Diablo III - The Book of Cain
    Diablo III - The Book of Tyrael
    Doctor Who NSA: The Clockwise Man
    Doctor Who NSA: Winner Takes Al
    Drenai - Legend
    Drenai - The King Beyond the Gate
    Drenai - Waylander
    Drenai - Quest for Lost Heroes
    Drenai - Waylander II
    James Bond 007 - Casino Royale
    James Bond 007 - Live and Let Die
    James Bond 007 - Moonraker
    Magic the Gathering Origins: Chandra
    p53: The Gene That Cracked the Cancer Code
    One Renegade Cell
    Dad's Army
    Last edited by Enigma; 07-29-2017 at 10:24 AM.
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Thrashing Like a Maniac! Gotham Thrasher's Avatar

Star Trek The Next Generation : Mirror Broken # 1 (1 issue)
    Cable (Vol. 3) (2017) # 2 - 3(2 issues)
    The Totally Awesome Hulk # 20 - 21 (2 issues)
    Nightwing (Vol. 4) #s 10 – 21 (12 issues)
    X-Men Blue (2017) # 6 (1 issue)
    Jean Grey (2017) # 3 ( 1 issue)
    Amazing Spider-man (Vol. 4) (2016) # 29 ( 1 issues)
    Ben Reilly the Scarlet Spider (2017) # 4 - 5(2 Issues)
    Batman/Elmer Fudd Special (2017) # 1 (2 issues)
    The Flash (Vol. 5) (2016) # 25 - 27 (3 issues)
    Green Arrow (Vol. 6) (2016) # 26 – 27 (2 issues)
    Trinity (Vol. 2) (2016) # 1 – 11(11 issues)
    Trinity (Vol. 2) (2016) Annual # 1 (2 issues)
    Crosswind (2017) # 2 (2 issues)
    Jimmy’s Bastards (2017) # 1 (1 issue)
    Dark Days The Casting (2017) # 1 (2 issues)
    Wonder Woman Rebirth # 1 (1 issue)
    Wonder Woman (Vol. 5) (2017) # s 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, 19, 21, 23, 25, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 22, 24, WW Annual 1 (27 issues)
    Snickers/Supergirl – Fastest women alive(2017) # 1 (1 issue)
    KFC Across the Universe # 3 (Green Lantern /KFC crossover) (1 issue)
    Astonishing X-Men (Vol. 4) (2017) # 1 (1 issue)
    Weapon X (2017) # 5 – 6 (2 issues)
    The Wild Storm (2017) # 6 (1 issue)
    Generation X Ashcan Edition (1994) # 1 (1 issues)
    Superman (Vol. 4) (2016) # 26 -27 (2 issues)
    Action Comics (2016) # s 979 – 984 (6 Issues)
    Detective Comics (2016) # s 948 – 961 (15 issues)
    Convergence : Action Comics (2015) #s 1 – 2(2issues)

Total issues for July 2017 : 108

Total issues for 2017 so far : 583
    And then there were none...

Custom Binding Thread: http://community.comicbookresources....0645aadbab2369

The All Purpose Metal Thread : http://community.comicbookresources....5299bbaefeffe8

From 20 June to 1 August (see page 4 for my overall totals):

All-New Wolverine (2015): 22
    Cable (2008): 1-26, King-Size Special (note: final issue is renamed Deadpool and Cable)
    Cable (2017): 2-3
    Gambit (1993): 1-4
    Generation X (2017): 4
    Hawkeye (2016): 8
    Jean Grey (2017): 3-4
    Mighty Thor (2015): 20
    New Mutants (2009): 12-14
    Rogue (1995): 1-4
    Secret Empire (2017): 1-3
    Secret Empire: United (2017): one-shot
    Secret Empire: Uprising (2017): one-shot
    Silver Surfer (2016): 12