Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Back in the office so not as much time to read as the first weak of the year.

Desperate Times 1-4 - 4 issues. Been on the look out for this trade for ages and I've still not found it. Found the first 4 issues on ebay though so grabbed them. I can't remember is they are a collection of the pages in the back of Savage Dragon or brand new stories, either way they were funny in a very 90's way.

Butcher Basker the Righteous Maker - 8 issues. Fun. Crazy. Dynamic art. A super hero book that was just let loose. Not taxing, not ground breaking but fun, and some of the most dynamic art I've seen in a while.

Wayward - 10 issues - I read the first issue and thought why not. I'm not a huge fan of Fantasy but do like books set in places other than America. Art of okay, story is decent, might pick up the next volume. Undecided at the moment.

Manara library volume one - 10 issues - Beautiful art, beautifully written but just felt racist. Pandering to stereotypes and cliches.

Djinn 2 issues Still loving this series, though the story does seemed to have slowed down some what. Beautiful art as always.

The Wicked + Divine - 11 issues - Again this was one of the books I had picked up on a whim. Not read much of Gillian and McKelvie's prior work, nor had much interest in their Britpop influenced work, but I liked the set up so I grabbed the HC when it came out. Not sure If I'm going to pick up the next volume, though the last page did leave me a little intrigued. IT felt a little laboured and seemed like 11 issues of setting up the world rather than telling a story.

This week: 45
    Total: 132

Fantastic Member

At 189 between some old Mike Baron Punisher issues and reading ten volumes of Girls with Slingshots.

Amazing Member

Week 3 in the books . . . .

100 Bullets 15-19 I forgot a lot of this from the first time I read it. Really enjoy picking up on new things since I know the characters better and who sticks around. Really a great series.
    Age of Ultron 1-10 I really like time travel and alternate reality type stories, but I feel like this one didn't have much too it. Seems like they had an event to show that they were breaking time and introduce a new character.
    Bloodshot and HARD Corps 14 Kind of a set up issue for the next arc.
    The Flash 1-2 I'm liking the Rebirth Flash. I finished the NEW52 omnibus a few weeks ago and I like that some elements are still there, but its also a new mystery.
    Harbinger 15-25 This seems to wrap up the first major overall arc with Harbinger. Its a really solid series.
    Uncanny X-men 136-137 This was my first time reading the Dark Phoenix Saga, it took me awhile to read it all and I thought it was kind of lackluster.
    Wolverine Vol 5 1-13 I didn't like the first arc but I slogged through it. Killable was much more enjoyable.
    Wolverine Vol 6 1-4 This has potential to me. I feel like there will be some twists to come. Mostly read the last series to ge tto this.

A pretty good week for me. 48 issues total for the week. 134 for the year.

The Unwritten OHC
    Frankenstein: Agent of Shade (both tpbs)
    Infamous Iron Man 1-4

Total: 32

(Still making my way through Bendis' Guardians of the Galaxy. Yeah, yeah, I know . . . .)

All-New Member

I read a personal best of 1779 issues last year, I aim to beat it this year.

So far:

DMZ Book 1 - 12 issues
    Deadly Class Deluxe Edition Book 1 - 16 issues
    Ultimate Spider-Man - 7 issues
    Ultimate X-Men - 6 issues
    The Ultimates - 6 issues
    Daredevil Omnibus by Bendis Volume 1 - 5 issues (56-60)
    Daredevil Omnibus by Bendis Volume 2 - 7 issues (61 - 67)
    Spider-Gwen (Vol 2) 6 issues
    Planetary Omnibus (9-19) - 11 issues
    Scalped - Deluxe Volume 1 - 11 issues
    Sweet Tooth - Volume 1 - 12 issues
    Sweet Tooth - Volume 2 - 12 issues
    Green Lantern Omnibus by Geoff Johns - Volume 1 - 3 issues
    Black Science - Volume 1 - 16 issues
    The Massive Library Edition 1 - 5 issues
    Silk (2015 B) - 3 issues
    Spider-Woman - 5 issues

So far 143
    Last edited by The Dames; 01-31-2017 at 06:19 PM.

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Has anyone else tried tracking single issues reads on GoodReads as part of their 1,000 Comic Challenge? Yesterday someone let me know GoodReads has listings for many single issues (likely due to them being offered on Kindle), plus you can set up a reading challenge for the year for them to count against.

I'm going to pilot it this week to see if it's more worthwhile than tracking via my trusty spreadsheet.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

Quote Originally Posted by The Dames View Post
    I read a personal best of 1774 issues last year, I aim to beat it this year.

So far:

DMZ Book 1 - 12 issues
    Deadly Class Deluxe Edition Book 1 - 16 issues
    Ultimate Spider-Man - 7 issues
    Ultimate X-Men - 6 issues
    The Ultimates - 6 issues
    Daredevil Omnibus by Bendis Volume 1 - 5 issues (56-60)
    Daredevil Omnibus by Bendis Volume 2 - 7 issues (61 - 67)
    Spider-Gwen (Vol 2) 6 issues
    Planetary Omnibus (9-19) - 11 issues
    Scalped - Deluxe Volume 1 - 11 issues
    Sweet Tooth - Volume 1 - 12 issues
    Sweet Tooth - Volume 2 - 12 issues
    Green Lantern Omnibus by Geoff Johns - Volume 1 - 3 issues
    Black Science - Volume 1 - 16 issues
    The Massive Library Edition 1 - 5 issues
    Silk (2015 B) - 3 issues
    Spider-Woman - 5 issues

So far 143

You're reading some great comics!

This week!

52 Omnibus (1-20) - I'm surprised how great this is considering its a weekly

Kill or Be Killed Vol 1 (1-4) - I dunno this wasn't bad but it really didn't feel all that original

Totally Awesome Hulk #15 - Back to form!

Black Panther #10 - Best issue of the run so far

Total so far: 104
    We need better comics

I'm about to start on The Incal hardcover. I think it's about 305 pages. How many books can I claim on this one once it's done?

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    Week Three Reading = 31 issues!
    2017 Total: 140 issues in 21 days - 14% done!

Average Issue Rating: 3.29/5
    Most-Read Series: Justice League (2011) - 20 issues (14% of total)
    Highest-Rated Series: Clean Room (2015) - 4.42/5 (+1.13 from average)
    Week Four Reading = 86 issues!

I has some extended reading time to myself this week and really blew threw my New 52 read-a-thon. I made it through Death of the Family, Trinity War, mostly skipped Forever Evil for being awful, and got halfway through Doomed.

The standout for me was Superman/Wonder Woman. I had such skepticism of a romance title with two of DC's Trinity, but Soule made every panel count. It was by far the best Wonder Woman of New 52, washing the nasty taste of Azzarello's run out of my brain.

Action Comics (2011) #23.2, 23.3, & 30-31
    Astro City (1995) #1-3
    Batman/Superman (2013) 1-5, #3.1, 11
    Batman (2011) #0 & 12-17
    Constantine (2013) #1-5
    Forever Evil (2013) #1
    Injustice Year Two (2014) #1-8
    Justice League (2011) #19-25, 30-39, & 23.1
    Justice League Dark (2011) #22-23
    Justice League of America (2013) #1-14
    Phantom Stranger (2012) #0-3 & 11
    Superman (2011) #29-30
    Superman: Doomed (2014) 1
    Superman/Wonder Woman (2013) #1-8
    Trinity of Sin: Pandora (2013) #1

2017 Total: 229 issues in 28 days - 23% done! (+152 issues from pace)

Average Issue Rating: 3.25/5 (-.04)

Most-Read Series:
    1. Justice League (2011) 38 issues
    2. Batman (2011) 18 issues
    3. Aquaman (2011) 17 issues

Highest-Rated Series:
    1. Clean Room (2015) - 4.42/5 (+1.17 avg)
    2. Superman/Wonder Woman (2013) - 4.28 (+1.03 avg)
    3. SemiAutoMagic - 3.75 (+.5 avg)
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    I'm about to start on The Incal hardcover. I think it's about 305 pages. How many books can I claim on this one once it's done?
    either divide the page count with 23 or just **** how it feels. I would count it 13 issues but I remember it having some pages with like 15 panels.

Spectacular Member

2017 Week 04

X-Men Epic Collection 2 Lonely are the Hunted: Lonely Are the Hunted (24 issues)
    Luke Cage, Iron Fist & The Heroes For Hire 1 (13 issues)

Total for the week: 37
    Total for the year: 95

latest:
    Death-defying Doctor Mirage dlx v1 10
    My first dive into the Valiant universe. Very solid read, great concept, it has one of my favourite covers from the last decade probably. My only problem is the flow of the book. Not sure if it's the lettering or the art but it didn't flow as well as other books do. It's not horrible by any means and I can't really point at anything but it was just a wee bit harder to move through the pages. Anyway, great mix of superheroics with a bit of Hellblazer vibe.
    Ivar, Timewalker dlx v1 12
    Probably my first book I've read from Van Lente and probably the best Doctor Who fan fic ever. Very tight time travel plot, intriguing, emotional, funny, actionpacked, everything you need. It's a great introduction to the VU since it has other characters from other series (Archer and Armstrong and Eternal warrior) but you don't need to read those to get this, at all but makes you interested in the other series....and then makes you angry that the A&A dlx v1 is massively oop.
    The ghost and the lady book one 12
    Took a break in my Valiant readathon to check this manga out. Lots of potential but doesn't really live up to them. There is barely any supporting cast which makes the book a bit hollow for me, the plot and the narrative elements are repetitive and it's quite wordy for a manga so that makes it a slower read than I would prefer it to be.
    But the real life Florence Nightingale stuff is good, it seems well researched and the supernatural elements almost work but not really. I would honestly rather read just a straight up bio of Florence Nightingale. It still has the chance t be redeemed by the second volume, the ending of book one was interesting.
    Harbinger dlx v1-2, Harbinger wars dlx 38
    Alternative take on the X-men mixed with a bit of Runaways. Not perfect but Dysart knows how to distract the reader from the problems by pushing the plot forward with full force. It doesn't hold back, the stakes are high and getting higher, people die (even children) and the interpersonal relationships are just as interesting as in the x-men. My only complaint is the unnecessary involvement of the Bloodshot title in the Harbinger wars event. It just slowed down the plot by showing the same events from a different perspective and I didn't really care about Bloodshot's own drama since I'm not reading his book.
    All in all very engaging read and where the hell is the Imperium dlx so I can continue with the story???

that's:72
    total: 127

Best of the batch: Ivar, Timewalker

Marvel Two-in-One #1. 1 issue

Fear Agent #1-10. 10 issues

Tales of Suspense (1959) #1-2, 12. 3 issues

Star Wars (1977) 2-6. 5 issues

TMNT Universe #6. 1 issue

Galaxion. 2 issues

Skull the Slayer (1975) #1-2. 2 issues

Sleepwalker #1. 1 issue

TMNT (IDW) #66. 1 issue

NEW TOTAL: 73

And i'm off to an expected slow start. There are a few other hobbies I've been doing that have taken priority over reading comics. Maybe I'll make up for it later in the year.

The surprise hit here is Fear Agent. I've been aware of the title for a while now but the covers always put me off. I assumed it would be too gory or weird for my tastes. I was wrong. I only stopped reading that because I ran out of Hoopla borrows until February.

I read those Tales of Suspense issues because the covers caught my eye. Its neat getting a look into the past.
    Last edited by Mormegil; 01-30-2017 at 07:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormegil View Post

And i'm off to an expected slow start. There are a few other hobbies I've been doing that have taken priority over reading comics. Maybe I'll make up for it later in the year.

The surprise hit here is Fear Agent. I've been aware of the title for a while now but the covers always put me off. I assumed it would be too gory or weird for my tastes. I was wrong. I only stopped reading that because I ran out of Hoopla borrows until February.
    Fear Agent will just get better and better with more characterisation and more and more guff piled on Heath with one of my favourite ending in any medium ever. (okay that's a bit overhype, some people are really left cold by the series but I just love it and I really think it has a brilliant ending).