Page 9 of 43 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    All-New Member

I read a personal best of 1779 issues last year, I aim to beat it this year.

So far:

DMZ Book 1 - 9 issues
    DMZ Book 2 - 16 issues
    Deadly Class Deluxe Edition Book 1 - 16 issues
    Ultimate Spider-Man - 7 issues
    Ultimate X-Men - 6 issues
    The Ultimates - 6 issues
    Daredevil Omnibus by Bendis Volume 1 - 5 issues (56-60)
    Daredevil Omnibus by Bendis Volume 2 - 21 issues
    Spider-Gwen (Vol 2) 7 issues
    Planetary Omnibus (9-30) - 22 issues
    Scalped - Deluxe Volume 1 - 11 issues
    Sweet Tooth - Volume 1 - 12 issues
    Sweet Tooth - Volume 2 - 13 issues
    Sweet Tooth - Volume 3 - 15 issues

Green Lantern Omnibus by Geoff Johns - Volume 1:
    Green Lantern Rebirth 1- 6 - 6 issues
    Green Lantern Secret Files 2005 # 1 - 1 issue
    Green Lantern Corps: Recharge: 5 issues
    Green Lantern (Volume 4) - 6 issues

Black Science - Volume 1 - 16 issues
    The Massive Library Edition 1 - 15 issues
    Silk (2015 B) - 7 issues
    Spider-Woman - 5 issues
    Ultimate Marvel Team up - 3 issues
    Spider-Women Alpha # 1 - 1 issue
    Ultimate Fantasic Four - 20 issues
    Marvel Zombies: Dead Days - 1 issue
    Marvel Apes: Prime Eight - 1 issue
    Marvel Zombies: Evil Evolution - 1 issue
    Marvel Zombies 1 - 5 issues
    Black Panther (2005) - 3 issues
    Marvel Zombies 2 - 5 issues
    Marvel Zombies Return - 5 issues
    Seven to Eternity - 1 issue

So far 279
    Last edited by The Dames; 02-19-2017 at 01:17 PM.

Checkmate by Greg Rucka Book 1 (1-12) - I kinda wish I waited till vol 2 came out to read this. I really enjoyed the political aspect of this.

Old Man Logan HC (Wolverine 66-72 & Old Man Logan Giant-Size #1) - I haven't read much Wolverine but I was really into this. It was also a really quick read. Mcniven was the star of this.

Paper Girls Volume 2
    (6-10) - Still fun. Not much to say about this

The Goddamned Volume 1
    (1-5) - I like most of Aaron's work but I couldn't get into this.

Last Days of American Crime (1-3) - Remender is hit or miss for me and this was a miss. Tocchini's art which is hard to follow and Remender's try hard dialogue made this a chore to read.

Planetary Omnibus (1-27 & Planetary/Batman #1) - This was the first Wildstorm book run I've read and I wasn't disappointed. The science stuff was too much in spots but Cassaday's art made it worth the read.

Spider-Man #13
    Wildstorm #1
    Unfollow #16

Total so far this year = 217
    We need better comics

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    Checkmate by Greg Rucka Book 1 (1-12) - I kinda wish I waited till vol 2 came out to read this. I really enjoyed the political aspect of this.

Old Man Logan HC (Wolverine 66-72 & Old Man Logan Giant-Size #1) - I haven't read much Wolverine but I was really into this. It was also a really quick read. Mcniven was the star of this.

Paper Girls Volume 2
    (6-10) - Still fun. Not much to say about this

The Goddamned Volume 1
    (1-5) - I like most of Aaron's work but I couldn't get into this.

Last Days of American Crime (1-3) - Remender is hit or miss for me and this was a miss. Tocchini's art which is hard to follow and Remender's try hard dialogue made this a chore to read.

Planetary Omnibus (1-27 & Planetary/Batman #1) - This was the first Wildstorm book run I've read and I wasn't disappointed. The science stuff was too much in spots but Cassaday's art made it worth the read.

Spider-Man #13
    Wildstorm #1
    Unfollow #16

Total so far this year = 217
    okay so you liked Old man Logan and Planetary (although I very much enjoy the insane amount of science stuff in it) so I know your taste can't be very far from mine. So would you say Checkmate is worth having? Didn't really hear anything about it but since it's Rucka I'm intrigued. Do I have to read something before this? If I remember correctly Checkmate had ties to MAxwell Lord maybe? I've read and very much liked Infinite crisis and read a bunch of stuff around that era (JSA, GL, Final Crisis, Flash, Identity Crisis) but never really read anything with Checkmate in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    okay so you liked Old man Logan and Planetary (although I very much enjoy the insane amount of science stuff in it) so I know your taste can't be very far from mine. So would you say Checkmate is worth having? Didn't really hear anything about it but since it's Rucka I'm intrigued. Do I have to read something before this? If I remember correctly Checkmate had ties to MAxwell Lord maybe? I've read and very much liked Infinite crisis and read a bunch of stuff around that era (JSA, GL, Final Crisis, Flash, Identity Crisis) but never really read anything with Checkmate in it.
    I don't think you need to read anything but I may be wrong. It was new reader friendly.
    We need better comics

Spectacular Member

I don't think you need to read anything but I may be wrong. It was new reader friendly.
    I agree. I read Checkmate without having read Infinite Crisis and I really enjoyed it. If you usually like Rucka it's a no brainer

Thanks guys. Added to the never ending list of books I have to get (but probably only when v2 comes out)

Amazing Spider-Man (1963) 21-34. 14 issues

Amazing Spider-Man Annual #2. 1 issue

Thanos Cosmic Powers 3-6. 2 issues

Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin, Vol. 2- Garma. 8 issues (only part of the way through)

New Total: 188

Amazing Spider-Man continues to be great and is my second favorite of the SA series behind Fantastic Four. Issues 31,32,33 make a kind of trilogy where spider-man is trying to cure sick aunt may. These issues were so good. I enjoyed them more than the Galactus trilogy because most of those issues had already been spoiled for me. But i had no idea what was going to happen here.

Spider-Man goes on an all out rampage. I love how drawn out it was for him being stuck under that machine. It was all handled so well.

Of the SA material i've read so far I would rank them:

1.) Fanastic Four
    2.) Spider-Man
    3.) Dr. Strange (mostly for the psychedelic Ditko art)
    4.) Sub-Mariner
    5.) Avengers
    6.) Hulk
    7.) Nick Fury Agent of Shield

I've read several issues of Iron-Man, Captain America, Thor, and Ant-Man/Wasp but not as much as those other 7 so I can't really rank them yet. Its close between Avengers and Hulk but I think i enjoyed Avengers slightly more.

I haven't read any Dare Devil and i doubt I will. Maybe the first issue just to get an idea.

Thanos Cosmic Powers was weird and i'm not sure what the whole point of that series was.

Gundam Origin continues to be good. I can't wait to keep plugging along at it.

All-New Wolverine (Taylor): 17
    Batman (King): 16
    Superman (Tomasi): 16
    Super Sons (Tomasi): 1
    Black Hammer (Lemire): 7
    God Country (Cates): 2
    Curse Words (Soule: 1
    Detective Comics (Tynion): 17
    Crisis On Infinite Earths (Wolfman): 12
    Amazing Spider-Man (Slott): 22
    Clone Conspiracy (Slott/Gage): 5
    Teen Titans (Percy): 4
    IVX (Soule/Lemire): 4
    Saga (Vaughan): 27

Total: 151
    Pulling:
    Batman, Detective Comics, The Sentry, Mister Miracle, Venom

Spectacular Member

2017 Week 07

Avengers Epic Collection 2 Once an Avenger (20 issues)
    Luke Cage, Iron Fist & the Heroes for Hire 2 (16 issues)

Total for the week: 36
    Total for the year: 191

Sandman #21-28: A rich storyline that takes Sandman to the next level, with the best focus on Dream and his family, in addition to a fascinating cast of Gods and demons, generally quite realized. There are enough ideas to last for the lifetime of a series.

Ex Machina #1-11 Exceptional combination of political drama, weird sci-fi and character, with a witty script by BKV and outstanding art by Tony Harris.

X-Men Legacy #1-24, #300: They could have done more with the multiple personalities, but this is a satisfying exploration of a superhero (and an unusual one at that) deciding to take a different approach, and making some decisions that are quite consequential.

Captain America #241

Punisher (Mini Series) #1-5: Solid mini-series with interesting threats for the Punisher, and some excellent action sequences.

Iron Man Volume 3 #1-6: Starts off a bit Batman-like, but Busiek and Chen develop an interesting status quo and challenges for Tony Stark in a take on the character that holds up well.

Captain America Volume 3 #1-7: There are some flaws (some story beats are a bit too obvious) but this is generally a very well-done superhero comic, elevated by excellent storytelling from Waid and Garney, in additon to a different kind of attitude (albeit one entirely appropriate) for one of Marvel's most iconic heroes.

Amazing Spider-Man #201-202

Peter Parker Spider-Man #81-88

Nimona: Decent modern fantasy riff.

Supermutant Magic Academy: Funny mix of teen angst, superheroes and Addams style strangeness. Solid one-pagers (for the most part.)

Total So Far: 285 Issues, 7 Graphic Novels

Best of the Batch: Season of Mists is probably the best Sandman storyline. That makes it possibly the best comics work by Neil Gaiman, and one of the highlights of the comics medium.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Incredible Member

Full list in post #54. Posting as I complete books.

The Maxx Maximized 1-7 35 issues

This series pretty much has to be read in one go. It was hard enough to follow even as a binge read. Way darker and intense than I ever thought it would be. I was picking it up monthly when I was collecting as a teenager through the first five or so issues before I fell out of collecting and I have to say I am glad I wound up reading it as an adult instead. This is a story about pain and deep psychological issues not just an oddball super hero book. Overall a book I am glad captured my fancy then that I always wondered what it was really about even if it was nothing like what I thought it would be. I am sure this one will get re-read.

Total for year: 83
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

The Flash By Francis Manapul and Brian Buccellato Omnibus (1-12) - This was painfully average. The art was awesome and I'm not even joking when I say this would have been better without dialogue.

Mockingbird (1-6) - Thanks to the free subscription of Marvel Unlimited I got I had a chance to try this. I really enjoyed the writing and the art in this. I wasn't sure what to expect with this since I've heard mixed things online about it. My one complaint was adding Hunter to the comics from AOS.

All-New Wolverine (1-11) - Damn this was good, I'll probably buy this if it gets the OHC or Omnibus treatment. When did X-23 and Angel become a thing?

Black Panther #11
    Elektra #1
    Spider-Gwen #17

Total = 249
    We need better comics

Mighty Member

All-New Wolverine (1-11) - Damn this was good, I'll probably buy this if it gets the OHC or Omnibus treatment. When did X-23 and Angel become a thing?
    They hooked up back in bendis' ANXM (that's if you're referring to O5 angel)
    Last edited by awayne83; 02-26-2017 at 08:37 PM.

Spectacular Member

2017 Week 08

Captain Harlock Dimension Voyage 2 (146 pages, 7 issues)
    Akira 1-4 (64 pages each, 12 issues)

Total for the week: 19
    Total for the year: 210

Quote Originally Posted by Brewman View Post
    Full list in post #54. Posting as I complete books.

The Maxx Maximized 1-7 35 issues

This series pretty much has to be read in one go. It was hard enough to follow even as a binge read. Way darker and intense than I ever thought it would be. I was picking it up monthly when I was collecting as a teenager through the first five or so issues before I fell out of collecting and I have to say I am glad I wound up reading it as an adult instead. This is a story about pain and deep psychological issues not just an oddball super hero book. Overall a book I am glad captured my fancy then that I always wondered what it was really about even if it was nothing like what I thought it would be. I am sure this one will get re-read.

Total for year: 83
    I never ever got the love for the Maxx but I've never read it either. I'm feeling physically sick just looking at the art and the character design I hate Keith's stuff so much (it's absolutely personal preference, I don't think he is a bad artist). what is it about exactly?