Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BANNED

Talking Peter Parker: Spider-Man Appreciation 2018

Happy 2017 everyone!
    As a lot of people 'round the world probably know, this year marks the 55th anniversary of Amazing Fantasy # 15 introducing Peter Parker, the Amazing Spider-Man!
    As luck would have it, there happens to be an old calendar who's days line up with 2017;

https://www.andertoons.com/cartoon-blog/

Yes, that's right, the 1978 YEAR OF THE SPIDER calendar lines up with 2017!

Of course 2017 also marks the 30th anniversary of the wedding of Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson!
    Alas, it also marks the 10th anniversary of the dissolvement of said marriage.

Fans of Peter Parker, the Amazing Spider-Man, are in for a real treat this year.
    Fans can look forward to the Marvel Cinematic Universe Peter Parker Spider-Man headlining his own movie!

With all these facts established, 2017 like 1978 is to be the exciting YEAR OF THE SPIDER!

BANNED

A message from Stan THE MAN Lee!

EXCELSIOR!

BANNED

Default 2017/1978 JANUARY a time for beginnings!

Commencing the YEAR OF THE SPIDER in earnest

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

55 years. And yet Peter doesn't look a day over 28

BANNED

50th anniversary Amazing Spider-Man #44 Jan 1967

"Where Crawls the Lizard,"
    Dr. Connors reacts from The Rhino antidote he was previously working on and turns into The Lizard.

Realizing this, he runs away but is spotted by his son Billy.

The Lizard plots his human conquest and plans to defeat Spider-Man.

BANNED

Default Tour the Spider-Man: Homecoming Costume Design!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    55 years. And yet Peter doesn't look a day over 28
    To me, last leap year 2016 Peter turned 29

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

Nice one "616.."...I just received my copy of Masterworks Vol 18 the other day, and the '78 calendar features in the back of the book! Good point that it runs concurrent with 2017, I didn't spot that straight off....how I would love to have an original copy of the '78 calendar, it's fantastic! The good old days eh?..

I've been a fan of Spidey since I was 10, the UK reprints appeared in the "Mighty World of Marvel" comics and drew me in...a Spidey related coincidence with me is that I was born in August 1962, so guess what, it's my 55th year this year too!

If only I had spider powers, I might still look and feel like 29 as well, ha ha!

Cheers

Jon

BANNED

Happy, Happy Birthday Stan THE MAN Lee!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post

EXCELSIOR!

BANNED

Sensational Spider-Man #41 Dec 2007
    One More Day: Part 3 of 4
    The spooky, redheaded girl claims to know of a way to save Aunt May. She runs off, leaving our hero to follow.

En Route, Peter meets alternate versions of himself who never became Spider-Man and never hitched Mary Jane. They are all sad, lonely, pathetic men.

Spidey then encounters a mysterious woman in a red dress. She describes the existence of an infinite number of Peter Parkers, all whose lives have taken disparate courses
    based on minute differences in their timelines. In nearly all iterations, she explains, he winds up as a sad, lonely, pathetic man.

The lady in red reveals her/his self as Mephisto. Mephisto takes Spider-Man to Mary Jane and offers them both a deal. Aunt May will recover from her gunshot wound,
    but in exchange Mephisto wants to take Peter and MJ’s love. Should the couple accept, they will forget that they ever knew each other, and Peter Parker will be doomed to end up a sad, lonely, and pathetic man.

Written by J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI. Pencils by JOE QUESADA
    Last edited by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear; 12-31-2017 at 04:08 AM.

BANNED

Amazing Spider-Man #545 Jan 2008
    One More Day: Part 4 of 4
    Mephisto explains to Peter and MJ that they will not remember the deal that he is proposing, if they should accept it. A small part of their souls will remember, but nothing conscious.
    Mephisto's joy will be in listening to that part of their soul for all eternity. Either Aunt May perishes, or the marriage is forgotten and erased from history.

Peter wakes up in bed, and finds MJ in the bathroom, clutching herself. MJ asks Peter if he thinks Mephisto can do what he says he can, and Peter doesn't think that he can,
    but that this is the only chance or choice that they have. MJ asks Peter if perhaps this is just May's time, and that the right thing at this time might be to let her go, and let her die.
    Peter says that if it had been a death from natural causes, he might be able to accept it, but not if it's his fault, not if it's something that he caused. The bullet was meant for him, not her,
    so he blames himself for her condition. Peter says he can't live with himself, being the reason that she might die. Peter tells MJ that if they decide together to let her go, then he could live with himself.

MJ and Peter hold each other, with her quieting him whenever he tries to say something, anything to her, just wanting to stay with each other, quietly.
    MJ tells Peter that no matter what Mephisto does, she will always remember all of it, every little detail, and that nothing will ever take that away from her.
    Peter asks MJ what she's saying, when Mephisto reappears. Peter asks Mephisto how it will all work.

Mephisto reveals that the marriage will never have happened, and will be removed like a stitch in time, saying that all else will remain the same. Peter doesn't understand,
    but Mephisto brushes this aside, saying that Aunt May being alive is the only thing that should matter to him. MJ rails against Mephisto, saying that it won't change anything,
    because Peter's identity is still public. In order to achieve the deal, Mephisto adds that he will remove all knowledge of his identity. As Peter struggles with the answer, MJ tells him Yes.
    MJ demands that Mephisto put Peter's life back just as it was, and give him a chance at happiness. Mephisto asks why he should do this, and MJ responds with a mysterious, whispered offer.
    Peter asks what MJ did, but Mephisto cuts them off, asking for Peter's response, his choice, now that MJ has made hers.

MJ tells Peter to go on, to be her hero, to make the deal. Mephisto taunts Peter with the fact that he didn't ask about the little girl from last issue, the unborn child that the couple will now never have together.
    As magic swirls around them, MJ tells Peter that she loves him, and will always love him, and that nothing will ever change that. She tells him that they'll find each other again.

Peter and MJ exchange final "I Love Yous", as they embrace, remembering their past, and kiss, with MJ telling Peter "Face It, Tiger... You just hit the jackpot.", as the scene fades to black.

Peter wakes up, and realizes he's late. He runs down the stairs of Aunt May's house, grabs a pancake off the frying pan, stuffing it into his face as he takes off out the door and jumps on his bike.
    He finally gets to a Tower, and goes up to the penthouse, just in time for the Surprise part of the Surprise party. Flash Thompson meets him off the elevator, and the two catch sight of Mary Jane,
    looking their way. Flash asks Peter if things are still frosty with them, and Peter starts to ruminate on not knowing if she'll ever forgive him for something.
    Then, the guest of honor is about to arrive, and the surprise about to be launched. And in comes...

HARRY OSBORN. Peter and Flash greet Harry, who introduces them to his new girlfriend, Lily Hollister. Peter is also introduced to Carlie Cooper, Lily's best friend.
    As Carlie asks Peter how he knows Harry, Peter catches a glimpse of MJ leaving the party. Harry gets some glasses, and pours out some nice bubbly, as the party raises their glasses in a toast to a Brand New Day.

Written by J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI. Pencils by JOE QUESADA

BANNED

2017 has been an exciting YEAR OF THE SPIDER!

BANNED

Happy 2018 everyone!