Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
    Have you ever seen how much money each of the first five Spider-Man movies brought in? There is no way a Spider-Man movie comes in fourth in that group.
    That's one of my concerns. The fact that there's already been 5 Spider-Man movies in what, the last 14/15 years? With the upcoming one been the second reboot with the third actor to play the part. I'm just worried that there only so many variations you can do of basically the same story/origin that can entice moviegoers.For instance Mary Jane was the love attraction in the first series of movies, then Gwen was the centre of attention in the reboot series now it looks like it might be back to Mary Jane in the upcoming ones.

It will still do great numbers regardless but personally I just feel there just a greater sense of freshness and anticipation with the JL, WW and the second GOTG movies that will give them the edge at the box office.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I'll say:

1. Justice League

2. Spider-Man

3. Logan

4. GotG 2

5. Wonder Woman

6. Thor
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    I'll say:

1. Justice League

2. Spider-Man

3. Logan

4. GotG 2

5. Wonder Woman

6. Thor
    To beat GOTG 2 logan is gonna have to beat every xmen movie prior to it. GoTg 2 is a anticipated sequel to a movie that made a shit ton of money with almost no hype. The sequel has alot of hype. Logan could be the best movie of the bunch and still only has a chance of beating Thor and WW and i dpubt it does that. Just my opinion , i hope logans a smash hit because jackman deserves it but Deadpool woudnt beat half these movies and i think thats foxs top grosser(dont recall DOFP final boxoffice)

Ultimate Member

GoTG
    Justice League
    Spider-man
    Wonder Woman
    Thor
    Logan

I would have placed Justice League at number 1 but with Zack Snyder coming back, lots of fans are being cautious. However,it's coming out at year end so there's more time to make money then.

I think it's a toss up between Wonder Woman and Thor.

Incredible Member

1. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
    2. Justice League
    3. Spider-Man: Homecoming
    4. Wonder Woman
    5. Thor: Ragnarok
    6. Logan

It's almost impossible for Logan not to come in last, especially if they go for the R-rating. I can't see it being a Deadpool-esque hit. GotG2 is comin g off the hugely well received first film, which did great itself. I think there's a chance it could hit a billion, or come damn near close. Justice League is coming off two poorly received films, though Wonder Woman might effect it somewhat. I can see it carrying itself on name partly but I can't see it topping GotG2. Spider-Man: Homecoming is the 6th Spider-Man film, but Tom Holland has been extremely well received and if they play up the role of RDJ in trailers, I think it'll do great. Wonder Woman will likely be close to Thor, and depend on word of mouth. Thor will also depend on word of mouth, but Thor/Hulk should be able to carry it.

1 Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - 500
    2. Justice League - 350
    3. Spiderman:Homecoming -300
    4. Logan - 300
    5. Thor: Ragnarok - 200
    6. Wonder Woman - 200

Astonishing Member

My biggest worry for WW is the timing. So many big blockbusters come out from late May to early July that she isn't going to have much of a window to make money.

1) Guardians of the Galaxy 2
    2) Spider-Man
    3) Justice League
    4) Thor
    5) Logan
    6) Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Air Wave View Post
    Anyone want to take a stab at 2017? Out of the following DC & Marvel 2017 releases please rank them in terms of final box office. Let's just do domestic (US) this year (sorry).

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, VOL. 2

JUSTICE LEAGUE

LOGAN

SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING

THOR: RAGNAROK

WONDER WOMAN
    The challenge with just looking at Domestic Box Office and ignoring the entire worldwide vs. expenses is you do not factor in:
    1) Budget
    2) Profit sharing deals with actors and production staff
    3) Product placement revenue which counters Marketing Budget expenses
    4) Marketing Budget

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 1 was a huge success. But then later on, Disney had to announce the Production Budget was much higher than the originally announced $170MM.

Disney Reveals Guardians Of The Galaxy Was Over Budget At $232 Million

That additional $62MM took Guardians from a 4.X budget to a 3.X budget production. Still a great success. But nothing like the consistent Marvel Studios trend since The Avengers where every movie did 4.X or greater other than Thor: The Dark World. So if you are going to assume Domestic Box Office defines overall success, you miss some of these details leading to the overall story. But not every movie is going to achieve the King of the Hill goal - Deadpool - with a 13.5X budget revenue run.

Quote Originally Posted by Killercroc357 View Post
    The challenge with just looking at Domestic Box Office and ignoring the entire worldwide vs. expenses is you do not factor in:
    1) Budget
    2) Profit sharing deals with actors and production staff
    3) Product placement revenue which counters Marketing Budget expenses
    4) Marketing Budget

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 1 was a huge success. But then later on, Disney had to announce the Production Budget was much higher than the originally announced $170MM.

Disney Reveals Guardians Of The Galaxy Was Over Budget At $232 Million

That additional $62MM took Guardians from a 4.X budget to a 3.X budget production. Still a great success. But nothing like the consistent Marvel Studios trend since The Avengers where every movie did 4.X or greater other than Thor: The Dark World. So if you are going to assume Domestic Box Office defines overall success, you miss some of these details leading to the overall story. But not every movie is going to achieve the King of the Hill goal - Deadpool - with a 13.5X budget revenue run.
    He wants to know whos gonna sale the most tickets not be the most profitable. Otherwise lego batman would be a no brainer #1 for everyone. The movie is gonna compete for the stop spot i bet and if its like the lego movie has a 60m budget. A fraction of the rest these movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    He wants to know whos gonna sale the most tickets not be the most profitable. Otherwise lego batman would be a no brainer #1 for everyone. The movie is gonna compete for the stop spot i bet and if its like the lego movie has a 60m budget. A fraction of the rest these movies.
    I agree, Lego Batman could be the surprise monster when comparing Production Budget to final Box Office. But the OP did not say most tickets sold.

please rank them in terms of final box office. Let's just do domestic (US)
    Final box office. But limiting it to Domestic. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Killercroc357 View Post
    I agree, Lego Batman could be the surprise monster when comparing Production Budget to final Box Office. But the OP did not say most tickets sold.

Final box office. But limiting it to Domestic. Right?
    Yes final domestic boxoffice. Which moives gonna bring in the most from ticket sales in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Yes final domestic boxoffice. Which moives gonna bring in the most from ticket sales in the US.

It's okay.

So since the focus is Domestic Box Office (USA and Canada makes up those numbers), and the average ticket for 2017 is assumed to have dropped compared to 2016 ($8.51 vs. $8.61 in 2016), I wonder if this means the 2017 Domestic market will experience a shift down.

Average Movie Ticket Price Falls 2.5% in Third Quarter

There are some potentially huge films coming out in 2017. So I assumed with that the Domestic Box Office would experience a massive shift up.

1: Justice League
    2: Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2.
    3: Wonder Woman
    4: Spider-Man Homecoming
    5: Thor Ragnarok
    6: Logan

I think it's very possible 1 and 2 swap places along with 3 and 4. People really liked Spidey in Civil War, but people might be spideyed out with all the reboots. Thor could surprise as it looks like it's not so much a Thor movie as a Thor/Hulk movie. Fox has struggled with everything outside of Deadpool, so I'd say Logan's a lock for 6.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    Fox has struggled with everything outside of Deadpool, so I'd say Logan's a lock for 6.
    I was concerned about Wolverine 3/Logan as well, as though I really enjoyed 'The Wolverine' and 'Deadpool', consistency from Fox has been lacking. Then I saw a review from the director of Doctor Strange.

That gives me hope.