Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Captain America: Sam Wilson #17 Discussion

http://www.cbr.com/captain-america-sam-wilson-17/

Here's the preview for the upcoming issue.

As the two previous issues did with D-Man and Misty Knight, this issue will focus and spotlight Joaquin Torres, the new Falcon. I'm enjoyed both of their spotlight issues, and am looking forward to Joaquin's focus even more so. Though it makes sense he hasn't had one yet, since he's not the star, I do feel he's been in need of an issue that focused directly on him for a while now, so we can see things from his head space, in the primary. That, plus I like the guy. He's cool.

It also looks like Rage is gonna have a part here. I've mentioned this before when he was first slated to show up earlier, but that's awesome that he's been brought out of limbo and is being used. I also like that Joaquin seems to be taking the initiative to befriend the guy.

Once more, looking forward to this issue.

One thing I will say is that I'm not 100% on Sam saying that Joaquin never got "permission", as I always find that train of thought from heroes and so forth to be hypocritical, but that's my only small gripe.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 01-04-2017 at 05:50 PM.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Art work looks mostly nice. Hope you enjoy the issue when you get it J.D. Guy

Well, maybe Spencer can finally make me invest in the new Falcon with this issue (though somehow I expect Rage will steal the show) .

Though I think as much as the kid needs focus and development, Joaquin's dynamic with Sam could use some attention as well.

I'm just curious, but Widow's pretty much an Americanized citizen at this point, isn't she?

I know little about the debate in the US, but it seems to me that Spencer fell into a strawman fallacy. So if you're not in favour of illegal immigration, you can only be a bigot who thinks all immigrants are evil people who steal jobs? Talk about lack of nuance.

This is all said from a non-American perspective, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I know little about the debate in the US, but it seems to me that Spencer fell into a strawman fallacy. So if you're not in favour of illegal immigration, you can only be a bigot who thinks all immigrants are evil people who steal jobs? Talk about lack of nuance.

Unfortunately when you're converting real life social or political issues into comic stories nuance usually falls the wayside.

Mighty Member

I don't think that this character is meant to represent everyone who is against anti illegal immigration, I think if you are familiar with America political pundits and writers I think it represents certain persons who are famous for sharing theses extreme 'politically incorrect' views and these statements and pretty much in line with how they would sound.

That said I would hope that in the full comic we would get a bit more nuance view than we get in the preview.
    Last edited by ZuLuLu; 01-01-2017 at 04:39 PM.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Unfortunately when you're converting real life social or political issues into comic stories nuance usually falls the wayside.
    And part of the problem is that the people presenting their argument from that side themselves don't do a good job of nuancing their position. All too often, the people who are most vocal and strident in speaking out against "illegal immigration" do so from a blatantly nativist and even xenophobic perspective that jaundices whatever good points they might have, since they seem to be speaking more from a position of fear and prejudice than they do from a position of rational concern. To put it another way, they largely allow themselves to be caricatured as racists and bigots because they put people on the airwaves to represent the argument against illegal immigration that are incapable of rationalizing that argument in a way that doesn't invoke racialized anxieties and fears by condemning entire groups of people in one fell swoop. For that argument to get better traction, it has to stop being presented in the media by people who see all undocumented immigrants as criminals and parasites and instead by people who can accept and make the point that the issue itself is far more complex on both sides of the border than just "goddamn immigrants taking our jobs!"
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Invincible Member

He's basically spoofing pundit and author Ann Coulter here, who under the pretense of expressing "conservative values" frequently says insulting, outrageous, and sometimes prejudiced things.

Not just on border security either. She's mocked the widows of EMT workers who died cuz of 911. She's said that Christians are Jews who have been "perfected"...
    Last edited by ed2962; 01-01-2017 at 06:51 PM.

This looks great. Its continuing to be one of my favorite books. Glad to see Joaquin will finally get a bit more spotlight. I cannot help thinking his being ignored by both the story and the wider MU. I still have fingers crossed that he may end up allying with the Champions at some point.

As others have said, I personally think Nick is spoofing the extreme element of the political right with this story. I do not really buy this idea that his is trying to make the whole right out as evil. I mean, back in #1 when this debate started, Sam was defending a group of unarmed people against a known super-villain group. I would question the mentality of any 'superhero' who saw that and just thought 'Oh, they are just exercising free speech' and let said people be attacked. If anything Nick is simply highlighting the genuinely raciest, bigoted voices in these debates. Its what writers do, and some of our villains can come from the darker, hateful side of humanity.

That being said, I do not think a comic needs to be politically neutral. Specifically in a superhero world where morality, good & evil etc are often explored. Long story short, with Trump in office I personally think we need writers like Nick Spencer more then ever.
    Last edited by Valamist; 01-01-2017 at 07:12 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Somewhat, yes. But as Nick Spencer is writing, I don't think it fair to blame the medium

Incredible Member

Did Nick Spencer just say people hating illegal immigrants should also be hating Black Panther, Black Widow, and Sunspot? A king with diplomatic immunity with a visa that graduated from Oxford, a former Russian agent turned United States agent with American citizenship, and a Brazilian with a visa that works for the government? How do they even relate to people jumping the border??

Marvel could not make themselves look more left-wing unless they had a support Hillary 2020 sticker on their comic.
    Last edited by whiterabbit; 01-01-2017 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by whiterabbit View Post
    Did Nick Spencer just say people hating illegal immigrants should also be hating Black Panther, Black Widow, and Sunspot? A king with diplomatic immunity with a visa that graduated from Oxford, a former Russian agent turned United States agent with American citizenship, and a Brazilian with a visa that works for the government? How do they even relate to people jumping the border??

Marvel could not make themselves look more left-wing unless they had a support Hillary 2020 sticker on their comic.
    I think that's kinda the point. There are a small, but vocal number of people who, if this was the real world, certainly would make such baseless comparisons.

Invincible Member

Nick Spencer didn't say that at all. He's satirizing people who think like that.

And for what it's worth Clinton isn't all that left wing...

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Valamist View Post
    I think that's kinda the point. There are a small, but vocal number of people who, if this was the real world, certainly would make such baseless comparisons.
    I think it makes the writer look he doesn't know the difference between illegal immigrants and people who register and become American citizens or obtain visa's. Is he trying to make illegal immigration look "good" and fine as an American standard?

Invincible Member

I think it makes the writer look he doesn't know the difference between illegal immigrants and people who register and become American citizens or obtain visa's. Is he trying to make illegal immigration look "good" and fine as an American standard?
    No. Immigration isn't even the point. The point is people who use it as an excuse to say messed up things.