Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Should Wonder Woman have an animated series?

Bruce Timm said they planned on doing a animated Wonder Woman series but dropped that idea. Do you guys think Diana can make it on her own? I think so with enough people who know the character I think it could work fine. If it were up to you is there a specific story you would make to be turned into a series? I kinda of want to see either G.A or Perez's with a few changes.

Invincible Member

The early Perez stuff. I'm not sure the Rucka stuff could be written to make it appeal to kids? Not cuz of violence or sex or anything, I just think young kids might find it boring. The little bit of the Simone material I've read could work I suppose. I think the Brian A. run could make a great animated series, but again, it might be confusing for younger children. Some of the Phil J, material might work. I haven't read any of the John Byrne stuff.

I think taking material from what worked from the best Wonder Woman runs, and consolidating and updating them ala Rucka's take right now, along with the benefit of a strong creative vision has the makings of a strong Wonder Woman cartoon .

Of course, I don't think a Wonder Woman cartoon would fit in the current animation climate or on Cartoon Network, so it would probably have to find a different home like Netflix or the CWseed.

I would like one but not done by Timm. I think Tucker and co can do a great job. I wouldn't stick too much with source material either. There's so much potential you can do with animation with WW that's not from previous comic runs.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    The early Perez stuff. I'm not sure the Rucka stuff could be written to make it appeal to kids? Not cuz of violence or sex or anything, I just think young kids might find it boring. The little bit of the Simone material I've read could work I suppose. I think the Brian A. run could make a great animated series, but again, it might be confusing for younger children. Some of the Phil J, material might work. I haven't read any of the John Byrne stuff.
    The Rucka run feels like something Greg Weissman could make work just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
    I would like one but not done by Timm. I think Tucker and co can do a great job. I wouldn't stick too much with source material either. There's so much potential you can do with animation with WW that's not from previous comic runs.
    Like what exactly?

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Yes. She should have an animated series. And animated movies. And a videogame franchise. And pretty much anything else under the sun.

Agent Z already mentioned him, and I completely concur: Greg Weisman would be fantastic with a Wonder Woman series. The guy pretty much ONLY makes great shows, and strong complex women are among his specialties.

Specific inspiration? The Rucka run would be great, specifically because that was the run where she got to be a UN Ambassador. I definitely want the larger audience to see Diana in that role. Showing the world that she's about more than just kicking ass is essential to making sure they have a good impression about who Diana really is.

Otherwise? The Perez run is always a classic. Throw in some Jimenez, and you can't go wrong.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

I still wish James Tucker's Golden Age Wonder Woman series pitch had caught on...

I would love to see villiany inc if they could do a golden age show. Hey there was places for a new wonder woman series called Amazon but it got canceled. However, it would have been like smallvile. No Wondie costume. I honestly think Legend of Wonder Woman could mkae a good animated series.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I think the Brian A. run could make a great animated series, but again, it might be confusing for younger children. Some of the Phil J, material might work. I haven't read any of the John Byrne stuff.
    Despite my loathing for the Azzarello run, it might make a great stand-alone direct to video movie. The Amazons would have to be civilized, of course, and I'd prefer the traditional origin, and slightly more conventional depictions of the gods. But what that run needs more than anything else is the discipline of eighty minutes of screen time, which appears to be the standard.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

Sure she should. Even as good as one of the others were, like STAS, you just need a good base, good pacing, good writing, and a rotation of three villains of different tiers. Superman's show often rotated between metallo, parasite, and lex luthor. Do something similar with WW.

I would love to see a rarely seen villain to be the three villain. I mean I feel like Circe or Ares should play a bigger role in the later seasons. Could someone like Paula Von Gunter work? Or how come an updated on Villiany Inc. I could See Cheetah, Cale and Maybe Paula or Poison.

BANNED

Yes, and it should have happened years ago.

And like STAS, the great thing about WW is that you could mix it up with some episodes having her deal with normal human criminals (like Dr. Poison), some where she travels to various mystical realms in pursuit of or on behalf of one of the gods or monsters of myth, and some where it's more mixed up... where humans are suddenly in the world of myth or other way around (kinda like Circe or Cheetah on mainstreet). Plus there is still the option of going into space after some pesky New Gods or such.

Also it would help her support cast from comics tremendously to get exposed in this manner. Like if it was set as Diana being an ambassador during normal days, you instantly have slots open for the likes of Etta Candy (personal assistant), Steve Trevor (ex-solider now in charge of security), Ferdinand (the cook), and you could even add Zola (nosy reporter... more tin-foil hat than Lois Lane) and Lennox (a scruffy everyman who appears to be homeless and hangs around outside the embassy for reasons unknown).

And since it is DC, it doesn't have to limit itself to Greek monsters and myth, she could be butting heads with Thor in one episode and teaming up with Captain Marvel against Black Adam and his egyptians in another.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

I wouldn't say no to one. I would prefer live-action but if it was good then I'd be happy with an animated series.

BANNED

Yes. An animated WW series with a mix greek mythology and unknown adversaries such as Silver Swan and Osira have so many possibilities.
    Last edited by AquaLantern; 01-02-2017 at 09:55 AM.