Thread: Moon Knight

Amazing Member

Default Moon Knight

I know nothing about the character but i might pick up a trade or 2.
    What are considered the best runs?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by hoth rebel View Post
    I know nothing about the character but i might pick up a trade or 2.
    What are considered the best runs?
    Thanks.

Well, he's been a character who has gone through a lot of changes and a lot of them bad.

He first appeared in Werewolf by Night and in the Hulk Magazine backups. Those all kind of suck.

Doug Moench wrote the characters first series, which is recommended. I think Marvel collected some of this in black and white and has started collecting it in color, but they're only a few issues in having collected the WW and Hulk stuff as well.

Warren Ellis wrote some good stuff and I think that might be collected.

Brian Bendis also has some stuff that's collected but, quite frankly, his run was oddly a disappointment as he's usually pretty good with street level characters.

In the 1990s Chuck Dixon wrote a lengthy series but I don't think it was collected.

The Chuck Hutson run was pretty good too and is collected.

Also Bunns run which continued on from the Ellis stuff.
    And the current Lemire series.

Charlie Huston's run is the best in my opinion. Buy the first trade 'The Bottom' and go from there. Ellis did six really cool issues but they don't add anything to the character or delve in to anything beyond MK being back in New York and a clothes change. The new series is cool but it requires some previous knowledge to appreciate at a higher level otherwise you'll be missing half the references.

Moon Knight is more used as a test bed for psychological story telling recently. That isn't to say it's bad but if you want the best modern example of the true character then Huston still fits that bill. People argue it strays away from Moench's original character but I've read them all multiple times including back to back and don't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayle88 View Post
    Charlie Huston's run is the best in my opinion. Buy the first trade 'The Bottom' and go from there. Ellis did six really cool issues but they don't add anything to the character or delve in to anything beyond MK being back in New York and a clothes change. The new series is cool but it requires some previous knowledge to appreciate at a higher level otherwise you'll be missing half the references.

Moon Knight is more used as a test bed for psychological story telling recently. That isn't to say it's bad but if you want the best modern example of the true character then Huston still fits that bill. People argue it strays away from Moench's original character but I've read them all multiple times including back to back and don't see it.
    I agree with you although I wasn't that keen on Huston's run. Ellis also featured MK in his brief but great run on Secret Avengers. I'd love for that and the MK stuff to get collected. I kind of like the "Mr. Knight" personality. I wish Ellis has stayed on longer. I liked his direction but he didn't have time to flesh it out.

Lemire's run is very interesting. I'm not sure I like it but I don't hate it. The next arc will probably be the decider for me.

I really wish they'd collect the 36 issue run (or was it 38 issues?) and then the 6-issue run that followed in one omnibus.

There also were a couple of four issue limited series prior to the 1990s longer run but I'm not sure if they were collected. I recall them being good reads, but it's been years and years since I read them.

Yeah, the white suit was a nice way of making him understated but identifiable. I wonder why Ellis does these six issue runs? They vary in their depth and impact but he doesn't seem to care beyond the six either way.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

- While there wasn't a lot to chew on from Ellis, it was a pretty cool comic that was very well made and will probably entertain just about anyone.

- I don't keep up with the Epic Collections but they're a very good idea with Moon Knight. They're cost effective trades in color that pack in a huge amount of material, and I think they recently hit some of the prime Moench stuff... which can also be called Sienkiewicz stuff because that art just rocked the house.

- Huston's run is collected in two trades, and they're pretty great. My favorite MK run.

Amazing Member

Ok. I read The Bottom and I guess Moon Knight just isnt for me either.
    Thanks for the help though.

Ok. I read The Bottom and I guess Moon Knight just isnt for me either.
    Thanks for the help though.
    What other characters have you read expecting to like but didn't? I like hearing peoples different perspectives.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dayle88 View Post
    What other characters have you read expecting to like but didn't? I like hearing peoples different perspectives.
    Well not many.
    I have been trying to get into some modern comics lately.
    I have several threads here asking about different characters and you folks must think I'm crazy.
    I tried to like The Specter,Moon Knight, and probably other characters I forgot I posted about.
    I collect and read Conan and Jonah Hex.
    Why I can not get into the modern age I just dont know.
    Hey man I am an old fart. I was buying and reading comics in the mid to late 70's.
    It's kind of funny to me that a person with the name Dayle 88 would be responding to my post.
    Is your name Dale? And where you born in 1988?

Yeah, my name is spelt Dayle though, my Mum decided the extra letter was necessary not me lol. Have you tried any modern fantasy or westerns? I haven't read it myself yet but people often praise The Sixth Gun which is a supernatural Western apparently.

There's also an almost brand new series called Reborn by Millar and Capullo that is a pretty crazy concept but basically fantasy.

The Epic volumes that reprint the Stan Lee and Jack Kirby Thor run
    Thor Epic Collection: When Titans Clash
    Thor Epic Collection: To Wake the Mangog
    is the 60's superhero equivalent of Conan if you ask me they're great and totally the best Thor run Skip the first Epic God of Thunder, other good Thor is Walter Simonson's run reprinted in a 5 volume set, Tom Defalco has a good run in Epic trade with another out later in the year.

Fables if you want to try modern fantasy. The first 10 volumes or so just get better and better as they go to the original story plot.
    It was really popular by the time the original over all story came to an end so he kept making them but the quality drops a bit. I'm sure you could get them from the local library to try it out.
    Last edited by Tony; 01-02-2017 at 11:34 PM.

I tried to like The Specter,Moon Knight, and probably other characters I forgot I posted about.
    I collect and read Conan and Jonah Hex.
    Why I can not get into the modern age I just dont know.
    Hey man I am an old fart. I was buying and reading comics in the mid to late 70's.

Well . . . let's start with what were you buying and reading in the mid to late 70s and go from there. I think most of us here can weigh in on what character/title is like nowadays, although it's worth noting that the writing style was much different, more dense, during the Bronze era.

However, if you liked that stuff in particular then you should pick up Uncanny X-Men omnibus 1-3 and Miller's Daredevil. To me, that's the cream of the bronze age crop.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Well . . . let's start with what were you buying and reading in the mid to late 70s and go from there. I think most of us here can weigh in on what character/title is like nowadays, although it's worth noting that the writing style was much different, more dense, during the Bronze era.

However, if you liked that stuff in particular then you should pick up Uncanny X-Men omnibus 1-3 and Miller's Daredevil. To me, that's the cream of the bronze age crop.
    Squadron Supreme, Stern Spider-man, Michelinie Ironman and the follow up from Dennis O'neill in the epics, Stern Cap are really good Bronze age stuff too. Dark Horse published a Tarzan by Joe Kubert tpb omnibus which I have but haven't read but I bet it's really good.
    Also DH the Busiek Conan which is just getting reprinted in thick paperbacks.
    You've probably read the Gray-Palmiotti Jonah Hex run but if not I would highly recommend it.

A bit more violent and bloody but Slaine from 2000AD is basically a celtic Conan but my take on it (based on the Horned god, the only one I've read so far) is that if Conan is heavy metal then Slaine is death metal (but the intelligent sort).

Moon Knight is one of my favourite Marvel Characters!
    If i'd have to chose just 1 run i'd go for:
    Charles Huston & Mike Benson but complete it with "Vengeance of the Moon Knight" and "shadowland" (not the same quality but let's say it ends one "cycle" of the character)

Then 2nd place the original Doug Moench run followed by the more recent stuff from Warren Ellis and Jeff Lemire!

Don't know much about the Brian Wood, Cullen Bunn or "Marc Spector: Moon Knight" volumes... are they good?