Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Superman #14 Preview/Discussion

http://www.comicsbeat.com/exclusive-...n-superman-14/

I have dropped this book during issue 10 because I have no interest in Supersons and Frankenstein arcs, but this arc I have been looking forward to.

Incredible Member

I wish Reis was drawing the entire arc, but we'll have rushed Manhke next issue.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Man that art is hot as hell. If only Pag and Reis could split a third title.

I love the quick open, it works so well because we never hit the ground running this fast.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Man, I love Superman. He's driving down a road, a strange costumed man who looks just like him appears, and Clark just jumps out of his car already speaking Russian.

Few more things:

-Love how Tomasi and Gleason keep the annual in our mind.

-What do the Gatherers mean when they call Kenan and Red Son Superman commodities?

-The cold open is much appreciated.

-I wonder if Justice Incarnate comes in to save Clark?

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

If he didn't get the Red Son with super hearing he probably would have taken a shot based on the sickle and hammer, haha.

I love that one line though, because my immediate thought was, "why are they spelling 'list' like that?"

What I wouldn't give for an Ivan Reis run on Superman .

I wonder if there's something to the fact that the Gatherer's are after Kenan and Red Son Superman but aren't interested in Superdad? Why isn't he on the "list" of Supermen they're after?

Are they "commodities" because they're not the Prime Earth Superman?

It's going to be interesting seeing Clark's first reaction to Kenan in this issue.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    -What do the Gatherers mean when they call Kenan and Red Son Superman commodities?
    That seems charged coming off of Multiversity, and the last major incident with Superman facing off against a multiversal counterpart being Superdoomsday by the same author. At face value "commodity" just sounds like a weird alien way of putting "target" or "asset", but I'm wondering if it might be intended far more literally.
    Buh-bye

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    What I wouldn't give for an Ivan Reis run on Superman .

I wonder if there's something to the fact that the Gatherer's are after Kenan and Red Son Superman but aren't interested in Superdad? Why isn't he on the "list" of Supermen they're after?

Are they "commodities" because they're not the Prime Earth Superman?

It's going to be interesting seeing Clark's first reaction to Kenan in this issue.
    Maybe they only eat Commie Supermen!

My guess would actually be that Superman is somehow hidden from Multiversal tracking/cosmic awareness to a degree, because he was at TELOS after the Flashpoint and his history and connection to Nu-Superman has been tampered with by Mister Oz. I mean there's the numero uno, primo prime rib real deal prime earth Superman standing in front of these Gatherers or whatever and they're still like "we're after that Kenan Kong new kid knockoff!" Or maybe the blue energy that draws alt-Supermen to Superman (the Manhattan Effect? Or the Electric Blue Effect?) makes him invisible to other Multiversal beings.

But anyway!

First impressions: Love the Reis/Prado artwork. Love the direct linkage to Multiversity including the Reis/Prado artwork. Love the cold open. Do not love the design of the Gatherers. They're a little too akin to Reis's recent Tekbreaker things from Cyborg. I dunno, a little "bland alienesque creature". Kind of like those alien hordes from The Avengers film, you know? Just that generic alien horde threat look. Obviously that's all forgiven if they really are just some generic extradimensional henchmen horde and their fabulous Boss Character is an out of this world freaky deaky or fantastically spandexy supervillainous design of some sort.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    First impressions: Love the Reis/Prado artwork. Love the direct linkage to Multiversity including the Reis/Prado artwork. Love the cold open. Do not love the design of the Gatherers. They're a little too akin to Reis's recent Tekbreaker things from Cyborg. I dunno, a little "bland alienesque creature". Kind of like those alien hordes from The Avengers film, you know? Just that generic alien horde threat look. Obviously that's all forgiven if they really are just some generic extradimensional henchmen horde and their fabulous Boss Character is an out of this world freaky deaky or fantastically spandexy supervillainous design of some sort.
    They just came off to me as more generic, non-winged, Parademons .

Looking great, i have been looking foward to this for a while. I love how Clark was just humming in the car until ramdonly this Superman appears in from of him. If i not remenber wrong Mr.EL has meet Red Son Superman during the "Superman Beyond"" mini that came during Final Crisis, i wonder if they are going to reference that.

They just came off to me as more generic, non-winged, Parademons .
    They look more like those monsters from Johns first storyarc in the New 52 Aquaman series, wich was also drawn by Reis.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    If i not remenber wrong Mr.EL has meet Red Son Superman during the "Superman Beyond"" mini that came during Final Crisis, i wonder if they are going to reference that
    Nah, you're thinking of the Nazi raised Superman named Overman.

Nah, you're thinking of the Nazi raised Superman named Overman.
    Gotcha, my mistake, it has been a while.

This is what I was waiting for. This might even serve as a somewhat prologue piece to Superman Reborn.

The blue light coming up again is interesting. I think its going to end up having something to do with him being incomplete. The light acted as almost like a beacon to Red Son Supes, and maybe that's actually what it is. A beacon, but its goal is to draw to it its other half so they can finally become whole again. But of course that other half (New 52 Superman) died so he cannot answer the call yet. I'm expecting to see reference to a red light soon enough which will represent the other half.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-02-2017 at 02:47 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El