All-New Member

Default Help IDing a minor Batman villain (stone-like tengu demon)

I apologize for the vagueness of this request!

The creature I'm half-recalling was probably created a decade or more ago and I only remember it from a single issue (but of what series, alas, I don't recall).

It had grayish stone-like skin and wore a shemagh-like scarf around its face from about the nose down, and possibly some other clothing. Mid-fight, Batman pulled off or loosened this article expecting to see some human features but he instead revealed a very demonic mouth which startled him (and I think the reveal frame was very large, perhaps most of a page, if not an entire one).

I am almost entirely convinced it was not Etrigan or a different incarnation of him. It was vaguely bat-like, its head somewhat resembling the Tengu mask Batman once wore). Instead of those ears, I seem to rememeber protrusions on either side of its head shaped like wide axeheads, as though it was related to a double bit axe or something.

I remember being spooked by the reveal of the critter's face but darned if I can recall its specifics. I don't remember if there was a nose at all, or if the mouth was super-toothy or gruesome or what—only that it was definitely not human and quite menacing. As to the rest of its body: I think it was about the same size as Batman, but more lanky/sinewy. I don't think it was winged but am not certain.

Complicating matters, I think Batman consulted Jason Blood briefly in the issue because he suspected the creature he was after to be supernatural/demonic. I don't think Etrigan himself featured. I also kinda-recall that the creature was assassin-like or had been summoned to kill people and/or protect somebody. I think it was killed or somehow died by the end of the comic. I am not at all sure about the stuff in this paragraph.

Gah! It's going to haunt me. Maybe I dreamt it all.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Is it possible you are thinking of “The Golem of Gotham” from Detective # 631-632?
    Cheers - CL

All-New Member

Alas no, but thanks for the help!

Mahakala from Clash of the Demons, Detective 601-603.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Nah, its Bob the villain.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I got curious and browsed it and this is Mahakala apparently and based on the source he did talk to Jason Blood

20150307_124906.jpg