Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Default What Happened to AI being Major Sentient Race?

I recall at the one the major things that Age of Ultron was suppose to accomplish is make Hank Pym important again and have AIs be a major race for Marvel in the same vein of as mutants and inhumans. Nevermind that AoU didn't need to do that since Secret Avengers established the Descendents. Did Marvel completely forget that was what Age of Ultron was set to accomplish? Avengers AI was all we got out of it and it was cancelled in a year. Nothing else bothered to explore AI after that. Did Marvel just abandon the idea?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Did Marvel just abandon the idea?
    Yes. Not the first time, won't be the last, however, I believe this one was particularly unfortunate.
    That said, Al Ewing picks up a few scraps from the run in Ultron Forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I recall at the one the major things that Age of Ultron was suppose to accomplish is make Hank Pym important again and have AIs be a major race for Marvel in the same vein of as mutants and inhumans. Nevermind that AoU didn't need to do that since Secret Avengers established the Descendents. Did Marvel completely forget that was what Age of Ultron was set to accomplish? Avengers AI was all we got out of it and it was cancelled in a year. Nothing else bothered to explore AI after that. Did Marvel just abandon the idea?
    It would have been interesting to see AIs developed as another race, and I think it could have been possible within the pages of Avengers A.I. if it hadn't been canned. The premise was good enough, the team interesting as well as their interactions with one another, Doombot was hilarious. If they had given it another artist, I'm still convinced it could have lasted longer and have more people interested in it. The issues drawn by Valerio Schiti were really really good.

I thought the whole Age of Ultron thing was to bring Angela into the 616... which ended up not interesting that many people after all. They built up that huge finale and fans were like... "what...? That's it? Who's that barely-dressed chick?" As for making Pym important again, well... maybe they shouldn't have had Bendis write the event, since I don't think he has a huge liking for the character to begin with (even though his characterization of past-Pym was really spot on, I have to admit). And now he's so important that he's dead, after being character-assassinated by Rememder in Rage of Ultron (good story, horrible characterization) and dug into a deeper hole by Duggan. Good job, really.
    Last edited by Mary Jay; 01-02-2017 at 07:39 PM.

Mighty Member

Well, there's still the Technarchy and the Phallanx.

they killed Black Ant. that's all I care about. sucks.