Astonishing Member

Default Superdad's Power Fluctuations-Still A Thing?

Having not really read stuff with Superdad unless he was incidental in the story (IE I'm not reading Superman or Action comics etc...) I was just wondering if Superdad's power levels were still fluctuating like they were in the Lois and Clark mini?

I found that one of the more eyebrow raising bits of the mini (though there were plenty) since no real explanation was given for it, though being from an alternate universe or timeline was the assumed reason.

No, it isn't, Jurgens confirmed in a twitter that the thing that was affecting SuperDad was whatever the hell Savage did during the Truth storyarc, after Rebirth he is back on full power.

Astonishing Member

Huh. That's a weird way to go about that story but, alright. I get ya. Thanks for the answer.

The thing is, that DC rushed some stuff to get to Rebirth, probably because the sales dipped down a lot more that they were expecting.

Astonishing Member

Oh I get it. Rushing through a story that's a build up to a relaunch a bunch of stuff tends to be quickly forgotten or skated over to make a transition smoother.

Like all the various bits moved around to clear the board back when Green Lantern Rebirth kicked off both in and out of the book.

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    Having not really read stuff with Superdad unless he was incidental in the story (IE I'm not reading Superman or Action comics etc...) I was just wondering if Superdad's power levels were still fluctuating like they were in the Lois and Clark mini?

I found that one of the more eyebrow raising bits of the mini (though there were plenty) since no real explanation was given for it, though being from an alternate universe or timeline was the assumed reason.
    His power fluctuations are gone. Although if DC idea was to say he was the pre-Flashpoint Superman, they've done a terrible job at it.

The reason for his power fluctuations was answered in a very comic bookish way. That it was tied up to the events of Truth and Savage Dawn. That just like New52 Supergirl powers also went haywire because of those events for no specific and direct reason whatsoever. Something similar happened to Convergence Superman. But no real in depth explanation was given, most likely because the writers too busy sabotaging the New52 never bothered to come up with one of at least 3 good explanations. In a matter of fact they chose the very worst explanation of them all.

But still this Rebirth Superman, powerwise, doesn't seem anything like pre-Flashpoint Superman.
    In Action Comics his enemy was original Doomsday. And although he kept going on and on about how he had faced Doomsday before and knew what to do to beat him. He for the most part got his ass handed to him. If not plot convenience, he would've died at least in three occasions.
    The first one if the fight had gone on and he hadn't got help from Wonder Woman, Doomsday would've beaten or even killed him.
    The second time was when Doomsday got hold of WW lasso and almost used it to break Superman neck.
    The third time was when Superman was trying to use the Phantom Projector to send Doomsday to the Phantom Zone. If again WW hadn't bought him the necessary time, he himself admitted he was done for.

In Superman.comics, he had to face a whole new Eradicator, which intent was to rid Jon of his human side and make him a pure blood kryptonian. His intention was never to kill Superman, just get him to accept what needed to be done and so he never went really all out. If he had, Superman would've lasted like 10 minutes against him and would've been killed or simply had his soul removed from his body.

And then we got the Justice League comic. Where Rebirth Superman had to go Earth outercore and destroy some spheres that were gonna break the planet apart if no one destroyed them.
    Now both New52 and pre-Flashpoint Superman would've done it without breaking a sweat. But Rebirth Superman kept on complaining how it was almost unbearable to be inside the Earth outercore, and how he felt that if he stayed there for too long he might not survive.
    Anyone that read pre-Flashpoint Superman comics, knows that that Superman would've done such a job in minutes if not seconds, without complaining.
    If it had been the sun, that I would understand, but the Earth... Obviously someone at DC didn't read the pre-Flashpoint comics or they'd know what power levels to work with.

So Dan Jurgens said Rebirth Superman was pre-Flashpoint Superman. Too bad then that once again we get to see writers that don't know how to write Superman consistently.

Now both New52 and pre-Flashpoint Superman would've done it without breaking a sweat.
    New 52 Superman would have floated without powers during the situation, because in Superman: Unchained he got closer to the core of the earth he lost almost all his powers execept the physical ones, unlike Rebirth Superman who has all his abilities around that time. About his powers, he is being written with his 90s levels an his 90s personality, wich in turn wasn't that far from New 52 Superman (personality wise) honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    The thing is, that DC rushed some stuff to get to Rebirth, probably because the sales dipped down a lot more that they were expecting.
    And funny enough they've dipped again.
    Rebirth only gave DC Comics, a three month lead over Marvel. The months of July, August and September. DC Comics held a steady 5% lead over Marvel.
    But in October, DC was once again losing by 5%. And ind in November they lost by 10%.

So Rebirth might have pleased some people, but it obviously hasn't pleased that much people, or even pushed some people away.
    It's the only thing that makes sense, considering that Marvel has been having this internal struggle between Disney and Fox. And they've been getting rid of some of the most iconic characters.
    We learned the truth about Cyclops death. But he's still dead.
    They killed Bruce Banner.
    Tony Stark is for all intended purposes in a unknown state. The Beast didn't even knew how to categorize his condition. And for now he seems to have become the AI of the new Iron Man. Or Iron girl in this case.
    So even with all that internal turmoil, Marvel is still able to outrun DC.

And if December numbers keep showing Marvel in the lead. Then January, then February, and so on and so on... Then maybe the already mentioned Forever Crisis will come sooner than expected.
    Last edited by Wri-El; 01-03-2017 at 05:30 PM.

It was probably meant to mean something before they decided to make him the main Superman. Then it was swept under the rug and just casually attributed to Savage.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

And funny enough they've dipped again.
    Rebirth only gave DC Comics, a three month lead over Marvel. The months of July, August and September. DC Comics held a steady 5% lead over Marvel.
    But in October, DC was once again losing by 5%. And ind in November they lost by 10%.
    You mean that a bunch of #1 launched in one month was going to have a big boost for Mavel, shocker!!!! and also you are ignoring the fact that the issues #2 of many of those series dipped a lot more than anything from DC rebirth in their first 3 months, after issue #2, i mean you just have to look the number of things like Champions or Infamous Iron-Man, because if doesn't look good. The other books are going for the same way. The truth physical comic book sales have been getting worse with time and they would continued for that path, sadly, i wouldn't be surprised when the day or going full digital comes.

New 52 Superman would have floated without powers during the situation, because in Superman: Unchained he got closer to the core of the earth he lost almost all his powers execept the physical ones, unlike Rebirth Superman who has all his abilities around that time. About his powers, he is being written with his 90s levels an his 90s personality, wich in turn wasn't that far from New 52 Superman (personality wise) honestly.
    That's the problem with the New52. People only remember some situations and not the whole thing.
    Funny how in Unchained Snyder wrote that, but during the Psi-War, Superman specifically said he had gone to the heart of the sun and returned stronger for it.
    Also it's the same Superman that survived being inside a black hole.
    So you'll excuse me if I don't take Unchained too seriously. Bad enough the constant delays and how the story went down.
    Hell they even contradicted themselves. In Unchained, during that part where Superman says the Earth core would interfere with both his and Wraith powers, interesting enough after defeating Wraith, we see that Superman simply flies off to the surface again. Not once we saw their powers being affected.

You mean that a bunch of #1 launched in one month was going to have a big boost for Mavel, shocker!!!! and also you are ignoring the fact that the issues #2 of many of those series dipped a lot more than anything from DC rebirth in their first 3 months, after issue #2, i mean you just have to look the number of things like Champions or Infamous Iron-Man, because if doesn't look good. The other books are going for the same way. The truth physical comic book sales have been getting worse with time and they would continued for that path, sadly, i wouldn't be surprised when the day or going full digital comes.
    Also you seem to be ignoring the fact that DC lead was also during Rebirth first issues.
    Once the issues went further along the sales immediately dropped.
    So their not even in the same boat. Seeing that Marvel was and is doing some of the most dangerous moves I've ever seen a publisher do.
    Can you imagine killing off Batman or Superman... Because that's what Marvel been doing. They killed off Cyclops and a bunch of other mutants. They killed off Bruce Banner. Tony Stark is for all intended purposes out of action, for an unknown time period. And more are expected to simply die or be replaced. And still Marvel wins.
    No matter how one looks at it, if numbers remain steady with Marvel in the lead, how long before DC pulls the plug once again.

In the end we live unfortunately in a numbers world.
    So don't for a moment forget that what happened to New52 can also happen to Rebirth.

Honestly speaking, the Supermen are as strong as the mothly story wants then to be, rarely has been consistent. But i would play cherry pick too, this is Pre-Flashpoint Superman with his 90s personality and power levels (that are still quite strong) and ignore most of the stuff that came from the 2000s, that althought has good things (Busiek/Johns run, Simone/Byrne, Casey last run), had some of the worst moments of the charather, specially with the whole self important "Icon" stuff, etc. And Rebirth (ignoring the swap of Supermen) has take that version to his logical next step (for that version at least).

Also you seem to be ignoring the fact that DC lead was also during Rebirth first issues.
    Once the issues went further along the sales immediately dropped.
    So their not even in the same boat. Seeing that Marvel was and is doing some of the most dangerous moves I've ever seen a publisher do.
    Can you imagine killing off Batman or Superman... Because that's what Marvel been doing. They killed off Cyclops and a bunch of other mutants. They killed off Bruce Banner. Tony Stark is for all intended purposes out of action, for an unknown time period. And more are expected to simply die or be replaced. And still Marvel wins.
    No matter how one looks at it, if numbers remain steady with Marvel in the lead, how long before DC pulls the plug once again.

In the end we live unfortunately in a numbers world.
    So don't for a moment forget that what happened to New52 can also happen to Rebirth.
    I can asure that all those charathers are going to come back eventually, heroes dying and then being resurrected happens all the time. They killed Batman last year and he did return. I saw the numbers, Marvel is using the same strategy that they have been using since 2013, relaunchs with new flamants number ones, DC recently cathc up with that and are doing the same. The same thing that hapened to the New 52 can hapen to Rebirth, sure it can, i'm not arguing against that, i'm just saying that most of their sucess comes from the relauchns that anything else, a tactic that probably run dry both companies eventually.