Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Default Batman #14 Preview/Discussion

Here's the preview and a place to discuss the issue tomorrow: http://comicsalliance.com/tom-king-m...usive-preview/
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I liked it. Just to see some romantic lighter melodrama like this is fresh. Definitely this sort of issue (at least from this preview) has a Bronze Age vibe to me because you had these lovey dovey interlude chapters in between action arcs. Nocturna, Selina, Vicki, etc.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 01-03-2017 at 01:00 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

I'm still disappointed at no Stephanie Hans .

King certainly has...his own way of handling the Bat/Cat dynamic and the sexual tension between them. I think other writers have had a far more natural handling of it, but I guess this fits with King's style of writing relationships.

I will never get used to the "Bat" and "Cat" thing. Just call her Selina, Bruce, seriously.

Are we going to resolve the whole "237 terrorist" thing now? Like, is Catwoman going to Blackgate for something she actually did?

I'm guessing this "night" is going to end with Bruce resolving not to bring Catwoman in, given she probably can't have "co-lead" status if she's serving a life sentence in prison, plus she was on a cover for the Bane arc.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think other writers have had a far more natural handling of it
    Certainly not Nocenti or whoever that kicked off New 52 with Selina riding costumed Bruce.

Morrison in Inc I thought did great with Selina/Bruce. Funny, romantic, cop vs thief, etc.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 01-03-2017 at 01:59 PM.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Certainly not Nocenti or whoever that kicked off New 52 with Selina riding costumed Bruce.
    Well, it's better then the bottom of the barrel, that's for sure .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I will never get used to the "Bat" and "Cat" thing. Just call her Selina, Bruce, seriously.
    Not really related to this issue, but I really hate when heroes use their real names. They have secret identities for a reason and you never know who is listening. I don't think that someone like Batman should ever do that.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Not really related to this issue, but I really hate when heroes use their real names. They have secret identities for a reason and you never know who is listening. I don't think that someone like Batman should ever do that.
    That's not a bad point actually, I hadn't thought about it that way. Not that I have a strong opinion on it either way still.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 01-03-2017 at 02:12 PM.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

That's not a bad point actually, I hadn't thought about it that way. Not that I have a strong opinion on it either way still.
    I personally think it's fine to use real names if you're telling a Tynion-style bombastic, fun story. If you're trying for more realistic, then codenames make more sense, even in private moments, since they are fully suited up. The former emphasizes the characters and their relationships, the latter emphasizes the world the characters live in. This is a spectrum, of course.

I have to admit, I don't particularly hate what King's doing, but neither am I really drawn to it.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Extraordinary Member

I think it was Winick.

For a good Batman/Catwoman story I suggest Batman #392.
    Last edited by Aahz; 01-03-2017 at 02:32 PM.

As much of a mess as Nocenti's run was, it was Winick who kicked off New 52 with that scene (and I thought I read that that was editorially mandated). Let's not blame her for more than she was actually responsible for
    Favorites: Natasha Romanova, Dinah Lance, Janet Van Dyne, Selina Kyle, Emma Frost, Kitty Pryde, Kate Bishop, Sharon Carter, Sue Storm Richards, Carol Danvers

Quote Originally Posted by klynn View Post
    As much of a mess as Nocenti's run was, it was Winick who kicked off New 52 with that scene (and I thought I read that that was editorially mandated). Let's not blame her for more than she was actually responsible for
    Oh yea, I stand corrected. Winick. Or perhaps the editors are to blame upon enough evidence.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I'm a big Bruce/Selina fan, so I love it whenever they cozy up to each other. This issue looks amazing.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Extraordinary Member

I'm wondering if King does actually any research on the villains he is putting in there. Some like Zebraman, Gorilla Boss and Amygdalla are way to powerfull that Batman could go into hand-to-hand combat with them. And some like iirc Red Monk and Gorilla Boss didn't survive their first appearance.
    Last edited by Aahz; 01-04-2017 at 02:12 AM.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I'm wondering if King does actually any research on the villains he is putting in there. Some like Zebraman, Gorilla Boss and Amygdalla are way to powerfull that Batman could go into hand-to-hand combat with them. And some like iirc Red Monk and Gorilla Boss didn't survive their first appearance.
    Remember this is the Rebirth 'verse. Those stories may not have gone down as we read them.

As for the issue i gotta say i love the team up of both tom and mitch, as well as bat and cat. Roll on next issue. I have to say Mitch Gerads art really suits batman, hopefully this will be a test bed and we get him full time.

Plus the running kite man joke was a jem.

Kite Man. Hell yeah.

(Good issue. Nice call back to Catwoman #1 lel.)
    Last edited by Kurisu; 01-04-2017 at 03:40 AM.