Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    All-New Member

Default Lesser-known reccomendations

I have been reading graphic novels for almost a year now and have read about 90 graphic novels (mostly consisting of DC). I have read all of the essential graphic novels but I now struggle to find more DC books that aren't either Batman (which take up about 1/3 of my collection) or the typical top 20 I see when I do research online (Killing Joke, Dark Knight, Kingdom Come, Etc.) I would like to ask for recommendations on great graphic novels that are not quite on a list of 30 best sellers, just some really awesome books (not necessarily books I have never heard of, just something I won't see on every list with a quick Google search.) Generally I can only find these recommendations if I speak with a worker at a comic book store, however due to my location, the closest comic store is about 25 minutes away.

Fantastic Member

why not branch out and go beyond DC? I mean afaic the best stuff out there isn't by either DC or Marvel...Stuff like Hellboy, The Sixth Gun, BPRD, Usagi Yojimbo...

Quote Originally Posted by AidanH View Post
    I have been reading graphic novels for almost a year now and have read about 90 graphic novels (mostly consisting of DC). I have read all of the essential graphic novels but I now struggle to find more DC books that aren't either Batman (which take up about 1/3 of my collection) or the typical top 20 I see when I do research online (Killing Joke, Dark Knight, Kingdom Come, Etc.) I would like to ask for recommendations on great graphic novels that are not quite on a list of 30 best sellers, just some really awesome books (not necessarily books I have never heard of, just something I won't see on every list with a quick Google search.) Generally I can only find these recommendations if I speak with a worker at a comic book store, however due to my location, the closest comic store is about 25 minutes away.
    What kind if things are you interested in?

DC-wise I would suggest Hitman (7 volumes), and R.E.B.E.L.S. (4 volumes and some orphaned issues). Also a very underrated Batman book is City of Crime by David Lapham.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    DC-wise I would suggest Hitman (7 volumes), and R.E.B.E.L.S. (4 volumes and some orphaned issues). Also a very underrated Batman book is City of Crime by David Lapham.
    Thank you for the suggestions. I'll be sure to check them out

Preacher
    Sandman
    Locke & Key
    Sin City
    Hellboy & BPRD
    From Hell

All extremely well known, but if youve never branched out past DC...

For DC, have you read Identity Crisis? I really enjoyed it but it seems to have been forgotten somewhat in recent years.
    If you like classic Superman, Kryptonite Nevermore is a good read.
    Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters has been recommended to me recently. Looks excellent.
    I'm guessing you've read the Vertigo stuff! If not Hellblazer, Transmetropolitan, Preacher, Sandman is all worth a look.

Outside of DC there's, of course, an absolute ton of stuff. Have you read The Punisher MAX? Absolutely fantastic. Start with the Ennis run and follow on to the Aaron stuff.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Preacher
    Sandman
    Locke & Key
    Sin City
    Hellboy & BPRD
    From Hell

All extremely well known, but if youve never branched out past DC...
    Thank you for the suggestions. These are all series that I will eventually get to.

All-New Member

I'm open to pretty much anything. I started this thread mostly looking for DC recommendations but any classic marvel story also works