Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Lesser-known reccomendations

I have been reading graphic novels for almost a year now and have read about 90 graphic novels (mostly consisting of DC). I have read all of the essential graphic novels but I now struggle to find more DC books that aren't either Batman (which take up about 1/3 of my collection) or the typical top 20 I see when I do research online (Killing Joke, Dark Knight, Kingdom Come, Etc.) I would like to ask for recommendations on great graphic novels that are not quite on a list of 30 best sellers, just some really awesome books (not necessarily books I have never heard of, just something I won't see on every list with a quick Google search.) Generally I can only find these recommendations if I speak with a worker at a comic book store, however due to my location, the closest comic store is about 25 minutes away.

Fantastic Member

why not branch out and go beyond DC? I mean afaic the best stuff out there isn't by either DC or Marvel...Stuff like Hellboy, The Sixth Gun, BPRD, Usagi Yojimbo...

Quote Originally Posted by AidanH View Post
    I have been reading graphic novels for almost a year now and have read about 90 graphic novels (mostly consisting of DC). I have read all of the essential graphic novels but I now struggle to find more DC books that aren't either Batman (which take up about 1/3 of my collection) or the typical top 20 I see when I do research online (Killing Joke, Dark Knight, Kingdom Come, Etc.) I would like to ask for recommendations on great graphic novels that are not quite on a list of 30 best sellers, just some really awesome books (not necessarily books I have never heard of, just something I won't see on every list with a quick Google search.) Generally I can only find these recommendations if I speak with a worker at a comic book store, however due to my location, the closest comic store is about 25 minutes away.
    What kind if things are you interested in?

DC-wise I would suggest Hitman (7 volumes), and R.E.B.E.L.S. (4 volumes and some orphaned issues). Also a very underrated Batman book is City of Crime by David Lapham.

All-New Member

I'm open to pretty much anything. I started this thread mostly looking for DC recommendations but any classic marvel story also works

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    DC-wise I would suggest Hitman (7 volumes), and R.E.B.E.L.S. (4 volumes and some orphaned issues). Also a very underrated Batman book is City of Crime by David Lapham.
    Thank you for the suggestions. I'll be sure to check them out

Preacher
    Sandman
    Locke & Key
    Sin City
    Hellboy & BPRD
    From Hell

All extremely well known, but if youve never branched out past DC...

For DC, have you read Identity Crisis? I really enjoyed it but it seems to have been forgotten somewhat in recent years.
    If you like classic Superman, Kryptonite Nevermore is a good read.
    Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters has been recommended to me recently. Looks excellent.
    I'm guessing you've read the Vertigo stuff! If not Hellblazer, Transmetropolitan, Preacher, Sandman is all worth a look.

Outside of DC there's, of course, an absolute ton of stuff. Have you read The Punisher MAX? Absolutely fantastic. Start with the Ennis run and follow on to the Aaron stuff.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    For DC, have you read Identity Crisis? I really enjoyed it but it seems to have been forgotten somewhat in recent years.
    If you like classic Superman, Kryptonite Nevermore is a good read.
    Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters has been recommended to me recently. Looks excellent.
    I'm guessing you've read the Vertigo stuff! If not Hellblazer, Transmetropolitan, Preacher, Sandman is all worth a look.

Outside of DC there's, of course, an absolute ton of stuff. Have you read The Punisher MAX? Absolutely fantastic. Start with the Ennis run and follow on to the Aaron stuff.
    Thanks for the recommendations. I've read Identity Crisis and Longbow Hunters and both were great. I'll check out Punisher and the Superman books. Also i've only read Hellblazer Dangerous Habits but I would like to pick up more.
    Last edited by AidanH; 01-04-2017 at 08:43 AM.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Preacher
    Sandman
    Locke & Key
    Sin City
    Hellboy & BPRD
    From Hell

All extremely well known, but if youve never branched out past DC...
    Thank you for the suggestions. These are all series that I will eventually get to.

Quote Originally Posted by AidanH View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations. I've read Identity Crisis and Longbow Hunters and both were great. I'll check out Punisher and the Superman books. Also i've only read Hellblazer Dangerous Habits but I would like to pick up more.
    Dangerous habits is a bloody great story, you should just go forward from that, it's all good up until Azzarello, probably after that too but I'm reading it a the new trades are coming out.

Dark-Flux's recommendations are all time classics and I would like to put the emphasis on Locke & Key. What an amazing series!

Also some amazing reads are:
    Planetary and Authority from Warren Ellis.
    almost anything from Ed Brubaker: Captain America (at least up till the end of Death of Captain America), Sleeper, Incognito, The Fade Out, Criminal
    Punk Rock Jesus
    Fear agent
    Atomic Robo
    Blacksad
    Stumptown
    Daytripper
    Revival
    Scalped
    Chew
    Invincible

BANNED

You alreday got some great recommendetions. My only adds to them are:

Starman (James Robinson's run)
    Sandman Mystery Theather

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Dangerous habits is a bloody great story, you should just go forward from that, it's all good up until Azzarello, probably after that too but I'm reading it a the new trades are coming out.

Dark-Flux's recommendations are all time classics and I would like to put the emphasis on Locke & Key. What an amazing series!

Also some amazing reads are:
    Planetary and Authority from Warren Ellis.
    almost anything from Ed Brubaker: Captain America (at least up till the end of Death of Captain America), Sleeper, Incognito, The Fade Out, Criminal
    Punk Rock Jesus
    Fear agent
    Atomic Robo
    Blacksad
    Stumptown
    Daytripper
    Revival
    Scalped
    Chew
    Invincible
    Thank you, i'll be sure to sdd them to my list

non-DC recommends of stuff not oft-mentioned:

Clive Barker's Hellraiser (BOOM!) - If you like the first two Hellraiser films, you will love this
    Planet of the Apes (BOOM!) - Excellent series even if you think you have no interest in the property
    Jennifer Blood vol. 1 (Dynamite) - a fun, hilarious book
    Classic GI JOE (IDW) - Reprinting the original Marvel Comics series. Way ahead of its time, much more serious than the cartoon.
    Mage: The Hero Discovered (Image) - no one talks about this series anymore. Every bit as iconic/important as the early Miller/Moore/etc stuff
    Prophet (Image) - doesn't get as much love as it deserves
    Exterminators (Vertigo) - I loved this series, it wasn't popular enough and got cancelled eventually
    WildCATS by Joe Casey (Wildstorm) - I like the 3 trades that make up "vol. 2" more than the 2 trades that make up "vol 3.0" but they're both solid

All the Marvel stuff I can think of is either well known critically acclaimed or guilty pleasure for nostalgics of a certain age.

I echo others thoughts on moving outside DC, indeed outside super hero genre...if you do that you will find some tremendous stories.

But in spirit of citing some lesser known DC super hero stuff that is of wonderful quality, but not quite as well known as main Batman/ Superman stories:-

Tim Truman's mini "Hawkworld". This is best DC super hero origin story by a country mile for my money. Not in current continuity...but for pity's sake don't start worrying about crap like that. The John Ostrander Hawkworld series that followed was also very good. The Ostrander run is not available in trades, but you can get original comics for a darn good price, and start your "career" as a proper collector with a really good old series. (This collecting of actual comics infects most of us at some stage, but happily I'm now cured.)

John Ostrander run on Suicide Squad. One of the great DC runs...up there with James Robinson Starman and Garth Ennis Hitman...and now happily being collected in trade.