Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

You could try Valiant. X-O Manowar has 3 deluxe editions and Harbinger has 2. There's some standalones like Divinity, Doctor Mirage and The Valiant.
    Co-host of Get Valiant, a Valiant Comics podcast.

One word: Scud.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Dan Jolley's Bloodhound (two nice DarkHorse trades)

Edit: Brian Wood's Northlanders
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 01-07-2017 at 02:44 AM.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    I echo others thoughts on moving outside DC, indeed outside super hero genre...if you do that you will find some tremendous stories.

But in spirit of citing some lesser known DC super hero stuff that is of wonderful quality, but not quite as well known as main Batman/ Superman stories:-

Tim Truman's mini "Hawkworld". This is best DC super hero origin story by a country mile for my money. Not in current continuity...but for pity's sake don't start worrying about crap like that. The John Ostrander Hawkworld series that followed was also very good. The Ostrander run is not available in trades, but you can get original comics for a darn good price, and start your "career" as a proper collector with a really good old series. (This collecting of actual comics infects most of us at some stage, but happily I'm now cured.)

John Ostrander run on Suicide Squad. One of the great DC runs...up there with James Robinson Starman and Garth Ennis Hitman...and now happily being collected in trade.
    I'll be sure to check out Hawkworld. I've read volume 1 of Suicide Squad by John Ostrander. As for outside of DC/Marvel, I have just started on getting more Hellblazer volumes, and I bought the first 3 hardcovers of The Walking Dead.

Incredible Member

I haven't bothered to read the other suggestions so forgive me if some are repeats. In no particular order:

The Hero - David Rubin
    Seven Soldiers of Victory
    Daytripper
    Punk rock Jesus
    Morning Glories
    Satellite Sam
    Scalped
    Strange Girl
    Chew
    TMNT: IDW Collection.
    Southern Bastards
    Blacksad
    Metabarons
    March - John Lewis.
    Fatale
    Fear Agent
    Black Science
    IZombie
    Nailbiter
    Planetary
    Glory - Joe Keatinge
    The Authority
    Death Sentence - Montynero
    The Wake
    Beautiful Darkness
    East of West
    Preacher
    Locke and Key
    Scott Pilgrim
    Superman: American Alien
    Swamp Thing - Snyder
    Local - Brian Wood
    Starman
    Last edited by pud333; 01-07-2017 at 09:01 PM.

Some great DC parody's

Irredeemable - "Evil Superman"
    The Boys - Ennis' dark take on X-men, Justice League, Teen Titans etc.

And if you want to dip your toe into Marvel

Spidergirl
    Runaways
    Inhumans (2000)
    Planet Hulk (2006)
    Omega the Unknown(2007)
    Old Man Logan (2010)

are all very good selfcontained stories

The Boys is about a task force who take down super powered people isn't it? Not really a super hero team parody? Great either way

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Tim Truman's mini "Hawkworld". This is best DC super hero origin story by a country mile for my money. Not in current continuity...but for pity's sake don't start worrying about crap like that. The John Ostrander Hawkworld series that followed was also very good. The Ostrander run is not available in trades, but you can get original comics for a darn good price, and start your "career" as a proper collector with a really good old series. (This collecting of actual comics infects most of us at some stage, but happily I'm now cured.)
    Hawkworld is probably the best DC story I've ever read. Or at least top 3.

I think Bioshock Infinity just ripped off the setting from Hawkworld.

Quote Originally Posted by AidanH View Post
    I have been reading graphic novels for almost a year now and have read about 90 graphic novels (mostly consisting of DC). I have read all of the essential graphic novels but I now struggle to find more DC books that aren't either Batman (which take up about 1/3 of my collection) or the typical top 20 I see when I do research online (Killing Joke, Dark Knight, Kingdom Come, Etc.)
    I think Hellblazer is the best DC book....yeah it became Vertigo after a while but technically it's still DC.

Also Shade the Changing Man, Animal Man, Deathstroke series are all classics.

Don't know if you're into the Legion of Superheroes but their 80s series is superb, I have no idea if it's been picked up in trades though.
    Last edited by LifeIsILL; 01-14-2017 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayle88 View Post
    The Boys is about a task force who take down super powered people isn't it? Not really a super hero team parody? Great either way
    A lot of the characters/teams they come into conflict with are piss takes on DC/Marvel ips.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    A lot of the characters/teams they come into conflict with are piss takes on DC/Marvel ips.
    Ah, I'm with ya. Been ages since I read it.