Astonishing Member

Default Green Lanterns #14 Preview and Discussion (Spoilers)

Alright. Since I haven't seen a thread on it yet here be one.

Preview below for those who have yet to see it.

http://www.cbr.com/green-lanterns-14/

As the issue was released today I will also make this the discussion thread.

SPOILERS BELOW

Alright, our last issue was something of a misdirect, last issue it was implied Frank may have died exploding from the build up of the Phantom Ring's energy accumulation in him. We find out as we see in the preview that he's alive and well and telling Nok Nok jokes. :P

In a very touching sequence we get to see him realize he's been going around trying to be a hero in the wrong way. Only to remove the ring and want it back, poor dude. What I love is that if the others were able to understand what he said the real answer they might consider would be to train him to use the ring (them or the others ala what Kyle did), and I'd LOVE to see that.

We get a nice story beat with Jessica getting to use the Phantom Ring quickly like Simon did a few issues ago to reinforce that Will not Fear guides her. Though given the Phantom Ring part of me wonders if we should take this at face value given it's a ring that cycles to what the person wants and she's already trained with a GL ring... but maybe I'm overthinking it.

The big, not so surprising end, has Volthoom arrive, now possessing Rami's body planning on training the two for presumably nefarious reasons.

All that and Jessica overhears Frank say Volthoom during his Nok Nok speech so the connection of the "two" Volthooms seems to be explained sooner or later in the coming issues.

The one oddity I had concerning this and the prior issue is that Humphries seems to write the Indigo Light as what the Blue Light usually functions as. A great energy that connects you to the feelings of all those in the universe and makes you want to do good. So I'm rather confused as to why that was in this issue, I don't remember ANY Indigo Tribe appearance imply or show this before.

So...what say you Green Lantern(s) Fans? Liked, disliked?

Personally I hope this means at some point Frank will be back, he was a fairly interesting villain in the fact that all he wanted to be was a green lantern himself. In what form remains to be seen I suppose.

Also I'm kind of glad that we finally get some acknowledgment of the rest of the Green Lantern Corps being back in the universe, I honestly didn't think something like that would happen until some crossover event.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

The Indigo personality change leading Frank to do himself in was a nice twist .

Hopefully this is the last we'll see of Simon and Jessica self-doubting themselves as Green Lanterns for the foreseeable future.

Why do they need a cell on the Watchtower to hold Frank? Without the ring, he's pretty much no threat. Can't they just take him to jail? Granted, I'm not really sure what they have the right to charge him with other then maybe reckless endangerment and some property damage...

Isamot and Vath coming out-of-nowhere to backup Simon and Jessica was...interesting. I mean, it was nice to see these two again, since it feels like it's been a while since they've had any lines, but I certainly wasn't expecting to see them. They don't seem to be taking too kindly to Simon and Jessica either (then again, they've always been kind of prickly).

Though seeing them respond to the pair's distress signal, and talking about reporting them back to John, signifies that the Corps. is pretty much back in action now (even if they're currently in Larfleeze's clutches in the other GL book). It makes me curious to see how that will impact the book now that Simon and Jessica can interact with the expanded Corps., which Jessica could probably stand to benefit from. I also wonder how John might feel about Hal having left the two of them in charge of 2814?

Maybe we'll see an arc where they go into space and travel to Mogo ?

Looks like Jessica is going to end up having to listen to Volthoom again, albeit unknowingly this time. Poor Rami...

Astonishing Member

If Indigo-1 is recruiting she could do worse than inducting Frank into the Indigo Tribe. By the end he just wanted a power ring, and while channeling Compassion he finally got over his issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Though seeing them respond to the pair's distress signal, and talking about reporting them back to John, signifies that the Corps. is pretty much back in action now (even if they're currently in Larfleeze's clutches in the other GL book). It makes me curious to see how that will impact the book now that Simon and Jessica can interact with the expanded Corps., which Jessica could probably stand to benefit from. I also wonder how John might feel about Hal having left the two of them in charge of 2814?
    I think we're going to have to assume The Corps is familiar with JesSimon already lest we open that whole can of worms of how the Corps was present in "Darkseid War" when Jessica got her GL ring from a fallen GL in the first place.

I think this series could really benefit from an art direction change. Something more childlike and charming, like the recent Marvel revamps, could fit in more with the more whimsical, zany tone of Simon and Jessica, who are just a couple of good eggs at the end of the day.