Page 25 of 58 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Probably a coincidence, but I was struck by the similarity.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    ...and despite people suggesting the amnesia/false memories mystery is a reference to Rogue stealing Carol's memories, I actually think it comes from the last Mar-Vell miniseries where he slowly discovers he is not who he thinks he is.
    That makes a whole lot more sense than referencing a story that is not ever happening in the MCU.

BANNED

Doctor Strange #60 Aug 1983
    "Assault on Avengers Mansion!"
    Doctor Strange's search for the location of the Darkhold leads him to pay an astral visit to the Scarlet Witch,
    the last to see it. She tells him that it's stored in Avengers Mansion. When Strange flies off mentioning that
    the power of the Darkhold may yet be neutralized, she decides to head for the mansion herself to see if she can help.
    Dracula and the Darkholders launch a full-on assault on the Mansion with only

Doctor Strange, Hannibal King, Captain Marvel, and Scarlet Witch around to defend it.

Dracula nearly reaches the book, but at the last moment Strange manages to teleport it away
    to a location he hopes its power will be masked by an existing aura of dark magic, Castle Mordo.

Script by Roger Stern, pencils by Dan Green, inks by Terry Austin

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Yes, I think this is quite likely. The funny thing is that I think the half-Kree thing is because of the movie being said to have Carol as a Kree-human hybrid, but judging from the trailer I'm not sure that's true at all. I think this is like when Marvel gave Star Lord his element gun back because they thought the film would feature it, only to find it wasn't in the movie at all.

What does really upset me is that I think the film isn't going to have Mar-Vell in it at all, but is going to plunder from his character mythology. It looks like Carol will be picking up his renegade Kree soldier status, and despite people suggesting the amnesia/false memories mystery is a reference to Rogue stealing Carol's memories, I actually think it comes from the last Mar-Vell miniseries where he slowly discovers he is not who he thinks he is.
    I also get the feeling they changed her origins because of the movie, but the retcon will end up not matching the movies, LOL. As for Star-Lord's Element Gun: I could be wrong, but I think the gun he uses in the MCU is supposed to be the Element Gun, they just didn't bother to name it or showcase it as such. It was also redesigned, so it didn't look much like it, but later on, the comics and animation also redesigned the Element Gun to look exactly like the one he uses in the movies and still refer to it as the Element Gun... Kind of messy, but I think it's supposed to be the same weapon.

Anyway, I take Mar-Vell not being in it and some of his mythology being given to Carol over him only being used as a plot device for Carol to get her powers and then dying, tbh. If they're shelving him right now because they intend to give him a better role later on, then it's more than fine by me. I'm willing to give Marvel Studios the benefit of the doubt, because so far they have been honoring the original characters who are not the titular characters, such as Hank Pym and the Guardians 3000. Hank Pym has had a solid role in the Ant-Man movies and the OG Guardians had a tease in GOTG 2 suggesting they'll have a bigger role in the future. Hopefully they'll have the same consideration for Mar-Vell.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    That makes a whole lot more sense than referencing a story that is not ever happening in the MCU.
    I'm honestly so tired of people suggesting that Carol and Wanda should be used as plot devices to bring the X-Men to the MCU. I look forward to all of their fanservice theories being wrong. LOL
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 09-26-2018 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    I also get the feeling they changed her origins because of the movie, but the retcon will end up not matching the movies, LOL. As for Star-Lord's Element Gun: I could be wrong, but I think the gun he uses in the MCU is supposed to be the Element Gun, they just didn't bother to name it or showcase it as such. It was also redesigned, so it didn't look much like it, but later on, the comics and animation also redesigned the Element Gun to look exactly like the one he uses in the movies and still refer to it as the Element Gun... Kind of messy, but I think it's supposed to be the same weapon.
    I don't think it's supposed to be the Element Gun if only because all it's ever done is act like a normal blaster.

I know in the cartoon they kept the same design but actually made it the Element Gun. I think it's the same in the comics but I haven't kept up with Star-Lord's solo's that much.
    Anyway, I take Mar-Vell not being in and some of his mythology being given to Carol over him only being used as a plot device for Carol to get her powers and then dying, tbh. If they're shelving him right now because they intend to give him a better role later on, then it's more than fine by me. I'm willing to give Marvel Studios the benefit of the doubt, because so far they have been honoring the original characters who are not the titular characters, such as Hank Pym and the Guardians 3000. Hank Pym has had a solid role in the Ant-Man movies and the OG Guardians had a tease in GOTG 2 suggesting they'll have a bigger role in the future. Hopefully they'll have the same consideration for Mar-Vell.
    I'd definitely prefer a Hank Pym treatment to how Gunn handled the OG Guardians.

But, yeah, if Law is Yon-Rogg then I'm curious if they will find a way to fit Mar-Vell in there. Just spitballing, but I'm wondering if they'd make Mar-Vell Carol's brainwashed Kree name.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'd definitely prefer a Hank Pym treatment to how Gunn handled the OG Guardians.

But, yeah, if Law is Yon-Rogg then I'm curious if they will find a way to fit Mar-Vell in there. Just spitballing, but I'm wondering if they'd make Mar-Vell Carol's brainwashed Kree name.
    Oh yeah, I'd prefer for him to get the Hank Pym treatment too, but without the whole ''old and retired'' twist, which would only limit him in the longer run. I think the biggest challenge would be how to push Mar-Vell as a hero without overshadowing Carol... Perhaps they should try to tell his story outside of the Captain Marvel franchise? I know, it sounds strange, but it's actually not impossible. I mean, think about it: he has three children, and each one of them can show up in different MCU franchises (Guardians Of The Galaxy for Phyla, Young Avengers for Teddy and... IDK, Thunderbolts for Genis?). If they're gonna keep their comic book origins, then it's easy to get Mar-Vell involved. He could have a role with the original Guardians and we would find out his connection with Phyla through that, or Anelle and him could have a role in the Kree/Skrull conflict over Teddy... There are ways to still use him in the MCU outside of Carol Danvers' story.

EDIT: I totally forgot about Rick Jones! They have a pretty strong connection in the comics too, so if the MCU ever feels like using him, Mar-Vell might as well be involved.

EDIT 2: Just thought about the Eternals! He has a nemesis (Thanos) and a former lover (Elysius) as a part of that race, so that's another bridge between Mar-Vell and the MCU. There's so many possibilities.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 09-27-2018 at 01:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Just spitballing, but I'm wondering if they'd make Mar-Vell Carol's brainwashed Kree name.
    I've been assuming that since the first trailer. I think they've merged a lot of Mar-Vell's aspects with Carol, which is something I was kind of expecting but not looking forward to. I totally expect them to be taking inspiration from Mar-Vell's stories as much as Carol's. but it sucks if they are doing that without having him appear at all.

Astonishing Member

I've been assuming that since the first trailer. I think they've merged a lot of Mar-Vell's aspects with Carol, which is something I was kind of expecting but not looking forward to. I totally expect them to be taking inspiration from Mar-Vell's stories as much as Carol's. but it sucks if they are doing that without having him appear at all.
    Frankly, I'd have preferred Mar-Vell to be introduced as Captain Marvel -- and then Carol inheriting the name after his death (from cancer). I'm not crazy about her being introduced as having already been established, but I can see why they would want to take a more direct route.

BANNED

Avengers #294 Aug 1988
    "If Wishes Were Horses"
    The cataclysmic clash with the Leviathan is over! But Earth's Mightiest Heroes have suffered staggering losses.
    Marrina has tragically perished. Prince Namor has left the team in anguish.
    The Ebony Blade's blood curse has been reawakened on account of having been used by Namor to kill Marrina.
    Its effect begins to overwhelm the Black Knight and he is forced to don an exoskeleton to combat his worsening paralysis.

Captain Marvel reverts back to her Human form after her fight with Marrina.
    The effects of the battle leave her withered and close to death.

Needless to say morale is near an all-time low as only Doctor Druid, She-Hulk, and Thor can answer the call to duty.
    Right now the Avengers would be extremely vulnerable to an attack from one of their long-time foes!
    And inauspiciously Ravonna and about a half dozen Kangs have something in the works!

The beautiful time traveler's instrument of deception is none other than…the Avengers' new chairman, Doctor Druid!

Cameo appearances by Frank Rambeau and Maria Rambeau.
    NOTES: Captain Marvel's serious medical condition ends her long service on the Avengers' active roster dating back to Avengers 227.
    Her recovery takes place in Captain Marvel (2nd series) 1.

Script by Walter Simonson. Art by John Buscema (layouts) and Tom Palmer (finishes)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Frankly, I'd have preferred Mar-Vell to be introduced as Captain Marvel -- and then Carol inheriting the name after his death (from cancer). I'm not crazy about her being introduced as having already been established, but I can see why they would want to take a more direct route.
    Do you have any idea how long it would take to do that properly with movies?

And it would be a bit of a dick move towards the audience, introducing Mar-Vell and get people invested in him when he's only there to be killed off and set up Carol. Especially because everybody already knows how this will likely play out before the first movie even starts shooting.

anybody know how much of the movie takes place in space and how much on earth?

BANNED

I believe Kevin Feige stated that the majority of the movie is to take place in space.

Probably a coincidence, but I was struck by the similarity.
    Enhance!

Cool. I have barely flipped through Mar-Vell's Green-and-White period and had never seen that panel. Good catch.

BANNED

Talking Happy Birthday Brie Larson!!!

Melissa Benoist Kara Danvers to Brie Larson Carol Danvers..

Congratulations.. SMILE!

https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelstudi...ol_danvers_in/
    Last edited by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear; 10-01-2018 at 10:51 AM.