5. The Beastmaster
    6. Poltergeist
    7. Halloween III: Season of the Witch
    8. The Secret of NIMH
    9. Friday the 13th Part 3
    10. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
    11. The Sword and the Sorcerer
    12. Swamp Thing
    13. Tootsie - damn, does this look out-of-place LOL!
    14. Death Wish 2
    15. Creepshow

Honorable Mention: The Dark Crystal. I haven't seen it in a very long time, so I don't know where I'd rank it in the list above, but I remember loving it as a kid.
    My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    I can even tell you what theaters I saw Wrath of Khan, Beastmaster, and Secret of NIMH in. None of them still exist. :-(
    The theater I went to see Return of the Jedi at has since long, long become apart of a strip mall with a dollar tree and a petstore. Remeber how huge the old movie theater lobbys used to be, we had one with this huge vaulted ceiling with paintings of old movie renditions in it. None of those old theaters are around anymore and it's not like newer theaters took their places. There are literally half a dozen non IMAX movie theaters in the city and there used to be three times that 20+ years ago. I'm not effing 65 years old neither. Remember how many malls used to have movie theaters? Nowadays the malls we used to flock and gather at back in the late 80s and 90s are all great places to get your ass robed at now. Didnt mean to go all middle age on cats but your post got me to reminiscing, it's kinda sad really.
    Last edited by Surf; 01-17-2017 at 07:40 AM.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Since I didn't see either of them get a mention...

- The Fulci film Manhattan Baby is a winner.
    - The film version of the S.E. Hinton book Tex was also decent. Even more so when you factor in that it was a Disney film.
    I think I remember that movie Manhattan Baby. Was it the one with Wings Hauser(Cole Hauer's dad?) who plays a psycho pimp?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    The theater I went to see Return of the Jedi at has since long, long become apart of a strip mall with a dollar tree and a petstore. Remeber how huge the old movie theater lobbys used to be, we had one with this huge vaulted ceiling with paintings of old movie renditions in it. None of those old theaters are around anymore and it's not like newer theaters took their places. There are literally half a dozen non IMAX movie theaters in the city and there used to be three times that 20+ years ago. I'm not effing 65 years old neither. Remember how many malls used to have movie theaters? Nowadays the malls we used to flock and gather at back in the late 80s and 90s are all great places to get your ass robed at now. Didnt mean to go all middle age on cats but your post got me to reminiscing, it's kinda sad really.
    My big brothers saw Jedi when it came out, i was only 2 when it came out but was 3/4 when i saw the 85 re-issue of Jedi no doubt.

I had two answers prepared but Google says both came out in 1983. So...E.T.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    I was 16 years old in 1982. I remember seeing several of these in the theater. I can even tell you what theaters I saw Wrath of Khan, Beastmaster, and Secret of NIMH in. None of them still exist. :-(
    Isn't that a strange feeling? The movie theater that you went to as a child/growing up, no longer existing when you're an adult. I remember the Tryon movie theater, one of the first discount theaters in town, but it only showed one movie. Then it became the Tryon Twin and showed TWO movies! I saw Warlock (1988) and Freddy's Dead (1991) there. Sigh. It shut down, became a storage facility, then later became a shooting range. :/

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Isn't that a strange feeling? The movie theater that you went to as a child/growing up, no longer existing when you're an adult. I remember the Tryon movie theater, one of the first discount theaters in town, but it only showed one movie. Then it became the Tryon Twin and showed TWO movies! I saw Warlock (1988) and Freddy's Dead (1991) there. Sigh. It shut down, became a storage facility, then later became a shooting range. :/
    Warlock is one heck of a guilty pleasure. love it!

In no particular order

Star Trek 2: Wrath of Khan
    Blade Runner
    Conan the Barbarian
    The Thing
    Fast Times at Ridgemont High
    48 Hours
    The Beastmaster
    An Officer and A Gentleman
    ET: The Extra-Terrestial
    Cheech and Chong when Things are Tough All Over
    Firefox
    Cat People
    First Blood
    Halloween 3: Season of the Witch
    Poltergeist
    Porky's

1. Bladerunner
    2. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
    3. The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas
    4. Airplane II: The Sequel
    5. Poltergeist
    6. Trail of the Pink Panther
    7. Fast Times at Ridgemont High
    8. The Beastmaster
    9. Conan the Barbarian
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    1. Bladerunner
    2. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
    3. The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas
    4. Airplane II: The Sequel
    5. Poltergeist
    6. Trail of the Pink Panther
    7. Fast Times at Ridgemont High
    8. The Beastmaster
    9. Conan the Barbarian
    Airplane 2 is so underrated.

Of all the movies listed in the OP the only ones I saw at the theatre were Conan and E.T. I was much too young to get into an R rated movie but since I was a fan of the Conan comics (marvel had the license at the time, but back then I just thought he was a marvel character), my parents took me too see it as a "reward" for my good grades. I actually haven't seen E.T. since I saw it way back then, lol. Gonna have to check it out again one of these days...
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

The question seemed quite specific, but seeing all the choices indicates that was a good year.

5. The Verdict
    4. Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan
    3. Blade Runner
    2. Tootsie
    1. ET

Notable films not mentioned by anyone: Sophie's Choice, Victor/ Victoria, Das Boot
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The question seemed quite specific, but seeing all the choices indicates that was a good year.

5. The Verdict
    4. Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan
    3. Blade Runner
    2. Tootsie
    1. ET

Notable films not mentioned by anyone: Sophie's Choice, Victor/ Victoria, Das Boot
    Das Boot is a 1981 movie, not 1982

Quote Originally Posted by TomServofan View Post
    Das Boot is a 1981 movie, not 1982
    Fair enough. It was released in the US in 1982 and nominated for six Academy Awards in that cycle, but it did come out in Germany in September 1981.

I was checking out 1982 Oscar nominations to see what some of the notable films were.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets