Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

Default Did civil war ii ruin Carol Danvers's future as captain marvel in the comics???

So I have a question that I have for you guys ive brought this up a few times on here but I thought I'd bring it up again since the final issue of civil war ii dropped. So my question is do you guys and gals think that because of carols actions in civil war ii do you think in anyway it compromises carols success and future as captain marvel in the comics negatively?????

There's some people that think she is destroyed and ruined now because of civil war ii I'll admit considering the reaction to her character in civil war ii it is worrying.... I personally feel that despite what happened with Carol in civil war ii I truly do believe she'll recover from this.

This is a question related to Carol as she's seen captain marvel in the comics not in the animation and films.
    Last edited by Ianbarreilles; 12-30-2016 at 01:20 PM.

I'm not going to spend any money on Civil War II. but the review made it seem like Carol was in the right. Tony trusted her to use Ulysses. he was scared of what would happen if someone else were to get ahold of Ulysses.

No, especially since Tony basically agreed with her the entire time.

If Civil War I didn't ruined Tony, I can't see how Civil War II would ruin Carol when the worst thing she did was try to arrest people.

No, because she has an upcoming movie

Obviously she'll crash and burn at some stage in the comics, 'cos that's the nature of superhero narratives.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Lightbulb

I read All the Issues that came out for Civil War II, from the lead-up, to the Tie-Ins as well as the Main Series. Honestly I felt the Tie-Ins painted a much better picture of the story then the main series itself, but that could be due to Less Bendis as well which is always a good thing. The Picture was also painted much better for Carol as well in the tie-ins espically her own book, some images below will clarify this more.

My Honest View of Carol Danvers after all of this as Captain Marvel;

Really and Truly Ianbarreilles, I like her More Now then Before!

That seems strange from what you might be hearing from others on the forum. Really I can't say I like all of Carol's Choices and the way she talked in the who of the event, but nothing major that made a lasting negative impact on me. This is MARVEL we are talking about, if they did not do forced drama and the Marvel Method of making everyone alittle dirty then it would not sell in Marvel's View, that is what you have to expect being a Marvel Fan Today.

Really what made me like Carol more is that She Took a Stand on what she believed it and truly by what I read I felt she did the best she could with it by both the power given to her and the situations issues by issues. Yea she overstepped at times but you could CLEARLY read she was debating every choose she made, questioning and re-tooling herself. She went threw ALLOT of reflection in this event, it was some of the best moments of the event when they focused on Carol's reflection on everything.

She Saved many Lives and in many ways, not all perfect or clean, but in many showed she was right by trusting Ulysses. The major points, the Deaths of Hulk and War Machine was not her's as I stated in-depth in another thread and the end issue just still seems strange to me what happen to Stark, not yet how to wrap my head around that, felt rushed.

So No, I think this just shows their where No Easy Answers in this event, anyone on either side comes out somewhat messy but that is the way it was going to go, but that is what Happens to Everyone, Comic or Real Life, that take a Stand on a Belief.

So Yes, I like Carol More after this Ianbarreilles!

Also, as I stated earlier in the Post, the Images below IMO Reflect the Best of Carol in how she was going about Predictive Justice and showed she really was trying to do the Best she could in the most just and lawful ways. Honestly It was the Best Moment of the whole event and should be an example for you to go to Ianbarreilles when in doubt.

From Captain Marvel #8!

Last edited by CJStriker; 12-29-2016 at 05:10 PM.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Extraordinary Member

No chance. All this 'heat' on Carol is giving her more attention. Carol also has a movie coming soon, and lots of feminists and such love her. Carol is on the up!

I think too many Marvel characters have bounced back and forth between likable and unlikable and in-character and out-of-character so often at this point that, ultimately, "this too shall pass." Most readers are used to bad writing at this point and know to point fingers at the writers, not the fictional characters.

When the movie comes out, no one will give a poop what happened in a poorly-received event from however many years ago that a fraction of comic book fans even read, anyway.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

CW2 is already forgotten as far as I'm concerned. It shouldn't have any longterm effects for me as long as Ewing doesn't dwell on it in Ultimates.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 12-30-2016 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianbarreilles View Post
    So I have a question that I have for you guys ive brought this up a few times on here but I thought I'd bring it up again since the final issue of civil war ii dropped. So my question is do you guys and gals think that because of carols actions in civil war ii do you think in anyway it compromises carols success and future as captain marvel in the comics negatively?????

There's some people that think she is destroyed and ruined now because of civil war ii I'll admit considering the reaction to her character in civil war ii it is worry.... I personally feel that despite what happened with Carol in civil war ii I truly do believe she'll recover from this.
    I feel this is two separate questions here.

I don't think Carol is in any danger of becoming a supervillain or anything of the sort. I also don't think this event will compromise her success in her comics. Will some people's opinion of her be tainted by how she acted in the event? Probably, just like Tony and Reed in the first CW. And they seem to have recovered just fine.

Will this event increase her popularity? That's another question, and I sort of tend to think that no, she won't become more popular because of CWII. Honestly, I don't think this event will have any sort of impact on her character, popularity-wise.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Absolutely not

To echo others

- This attention brought more awareness to the character
    - Upcoming Movie will skyrocket her popularity. Iron Man dug a far deeper hole in the first Civil War. It'd be extremely hard to top of Downey Jr's Performance but Disney/Marvel is a safe bet and they usually deliver.

Maybe. Depends on a lot of factors, including how well her movie is received.

Carol is one of my favorite comic characters, so I was a bit upset that she ended up on the side of the debate which I utterly detest. When it comes to thought crimes, profiling etc, I am all against it. That being said, I do not think she was damaged as much as I feared during this event. One of the big problems I think is that her position was not well explored in the main CWII series. I feel her solo series did a much better job in showing her position in a better light. I still dislike it, but at least her solo series helped to explain why it makes sense she took the position she did.

Of course not, she can keep doing her thing as protector of earth, leader of Alpha Flight, and member of the Ultimates now that we finally have that story over and done with.

Did it paint her in a good light? No, but thankful the other writers have at least salvaged, or attempted to at least, what Bendis did.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

CW1 did not ruin Stark, it tainted him ad others but did not ruin. And let's face it, compared to CW1 this was a boring as hell and it was nonsensical. Did it hurt her standing? Yes in a way it did, but i wouldn't say ruined her. And i say that despite the fact that i never took to her character in any shape or form. And her movie will somehow boost her popularity again and more people will want to know about her if thy hadn't before because that's what Marvel execs will count on.