Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Captain Marvel #0 - SPOILERS

So we don't spoil the Captain Marvel thread

-Issue opens up with a dream about a classified Ladies Poker Night featuring Carol, Jess Drew, Kamala, Natasha, and Thor.
    -The dream turns into a nightmare when Iron Man attacks Carol
    -Carol wakes up and it turns out she's in a therapy session.
    -Carol has major insomnia
    -Her therapist tries to get her to talk about the fight she's having with her bff Jess Drew.
    -Carol makes excuses as to why she hasn't talked to Jess yet.
    -Therapist suggests that the Insomnia is due to anxiety and not talking about everything that's happened. Carol denies this and uses the remote to shut her Therapist off.
    -Carol gets back to work and checks up with Wendy - Wendy tells her about the Alien refugess that are flooding Earth at the moment.
    -Puck puts his foot in his mouth. Worth it.
    -Brand and Carol start to have a heart to heart. Carol feels like she's leaving everyone behind doing what she's doing.
    -Cue timely interruption by Puck and Wendy.
    -Flashback to how Carol has had to fight so hard to get to where she is now - how so many people doubted her.
    -Alarm goes off and there's a ship attacking the space station. Carol goes to take care of it...turns out it's a bunch of refugees from the Majesdanian System (Karolina Dean anyone?). Carol tells brand to take care of them - she needs to take care of something else.
    -CAROL AND JESS DREW MAKE UP AND I AM HAPPY
    -Back at the Refugee camp we see some sort of bounty hunter scoping up the recent refugees. Looks like they're after the "hala child"
    -Carol finally sleeps, but now her nightmare shows that she's fighting herself (she's in the Iron Man suit)

Great first issue. Stohl is not skirting around what's happened in Civil War II. I get the impression that Carol is standing by what she's done, but it's affecting her physically and emotionally. I am surprised that Stohl had her and Jess make up in this issue. I'm really glad they did, but I had honestly expected it to be stretched out longer.
    Last edited by Seren; 12-21-2016 at 04:19 PM.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

BANNED

I'm surprise how quickly Carol and Jess made up, but I'm glad as it shows the difference that Tony and Carol have between each other when they "win" Civil War.

Nice biographical flashback, but should it be possible? This is a woman whose memories have been stripped away TWICE. If Secret Wars fixed that, I'm all for it. I never liked the Kree brain tumor thing in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius J Moonlight View Post
    Nice biographical flashback, but should it be possible? This is a woman whose memories have been stripped away TWICE. If Secret Wars fixed that, I'm all for it. I never liked the Kree brain tumor thing in the first place.
    Maybe she doesn't remember all of it, just what we've saw there(and a bit more I guess but you know what I mean).

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Maybe she doesn't remember all of it, just what we've saw there(and a bit more I guess but you know what I mean).
    Aaaaand another book in which cosmically powerful heroes sit around and talk about their feelings. Plus a not very subtle metaphor for the refugee crisis. Really don't see the point of this. But the art was good.

I dno't think it's a bad thing that Carol talks about her feelings. Gives the reader insight as to where she is right now which could make things pretty interesting going forward.

I'm just glad she and Jess made up. It makes me wonder if this issue was the reason Spider-Woman #14 got pushed back?
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

This didn't make sense to me, or to be more precise the making up scene, Banner is dead and that kills the friendship and yet Stark is dead by her hands (if what is being said in previews and tie ins is true) and yet she is forgiven? How is that reasoning acceptable? I mean i get that nobody liked Stark but the worse she gets is bad dreams but her bff back? Even Barton is still messed up about what he did.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    This didn't make sense to me, or to be more precise the making up scene, Banner is dead and that kills the friendship and yet Stark is dead by her hands (if what is being said in previews and tie ins is true) and yet she is forgiven? How is that reasoning acceptable? I mean i get that nobody liked Stark but the worse she gets is bad dreams but her bff back? Even Barton is still messed up about what he did.
    I don't think she's actually gonna kill Tony.

All-New Member

^^^ That's the frustrating part about the Civil War II delays, all the books are pressing onwards and dropping incomplete spoilers on us. Tony and Carol fought, yes, but if he really died by her hand, there's no way Mighty Captain Marvel happens. We're still left to our imaginations on getting from point A to B.

They've been locked in the same fight for what, 3 Civil War II issues now?

Quote Originally Posted by FlerkenCat View Post
    ^^^ That's the frustrating part about the Civil War II delays, all the books are pressing onwards and dropping incomplete spoilers on us. Tony and Carol fought, yes, but if he really died by her hand, there's no way Mighty Captain Marvel happens. We're still left to our imaginations on getting from point A to B.

They've been locked in the same fight for what, 3 Civil War II issues now?
    The last CW II Fight, the bossfight if you will, only ever started on the last few pages of the last issue.

@Topic: Haven't read the issue yet but Jess and Carol making up already feels forced and rushed to me. Maybe it makes sense when I actually get to read it but for now I don't think I like that.
    Now if they were to make out instead of making up... okay okay I'll show myself out.
    Last edited by Matternativ; 12-22-2016 at 01:56 PM.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

I thought it was a little soon too - but I wonder if Stohl has plans for future issues and wants them made up sooner rather than later. I'm glad it happened though.

Of course it is nice in a way but in a world were nothing lasts because there is no ending, it's the things that last for a longer while and have more impact which Fans (and Writers) remember later.
    As I said I haven't read it yet but I imagine if they would have had months between breaking up and making up that would feel much more rewarding.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Only I find ridiculous Jess and Carol make peace so fast?

Do not get me wrong wanted them to be friends again and I'm happy but already in the zero issue?

How do you expect anyone to take it seriously please people died or were severely affected by the Civil War II events and Jess (with some reason) was right to blame Carol in partly for this mess and now this?

I expected at least three or four issues.

Honestly I did the right thing in not buying Civil War II.

Well Carol will have to deal with her mistakes but to the relief of her fans do not think she killed Stark and considering that many heroes have already done worse than arresting people with no evidence she will be fine with time.

All-New Member

I think they could've let it simmer for a few more issues, but I could see wanting to hasten things along with the ****show that has been CWII. She needs SOMEBODY on her side to start off this chapter.

I'm sure She-Hulk's gonna have some things to say once her book comes out, so we do have that tension to look forward to, I think.

Anyone else a fan of the astronaut retcon? I think it's a fun update.
    Last edited by FlerkenCat; 12-22-2016 at 04:14 PM.

Carol comes across as someone running away from relationships. She appears to be a very tragic figure from her history, that even though she gravitates to female company, and has strong female role models, she is incapable of finding a mister right. (maybe Rhodey was that person, I don't know). However, since her recent mister-right went the way of lost comrades, she is now left on her lonesome again, and still very much in commander mode, as evident in her approach to reconciling with Jessica Drew. What we do see is a person who can't give herself the time to mourn, or, detach herself enough from duty to have downtime. You wonder if Danvers is driven because she couldn't go to college when she wanted too, and she is stuck on moving forward her whole life, but not giving herself the time to settle down?

Either make Carol Danvers gay, or send along a Prince Charming to sweep her off her feet. Not because I feel women have a destiny to be homebodies, but, because it would be interesting to have her detach from her "moving forward" headspace, and maybe try something else that isn't, "I'll prove I should have been given a college education" mindset. Carol needs to stop justifying her existence, and accept she has reached all her goals already - she needs to bask in that reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    You strike on a point of how detached Carol can get from tragedy. The therapist is looking into why Carol can't take things harder than she does, but brushes it off as bad outcomes. Her dream included Kamala Khan in an idealistic happiness she doesn't have, because in real life Kamala can't be reconciled with Carol to be able to have a happy card game.

Quote Originally Posted by Matternativ View Post
    The last CW II Fight, the bossfight if you will, only ever started on the last few pages of the last issue.

@Topic: Haven't read the issue yet but Jess and Carol making up already feels forced and rushed to me. Maybe it makes sense when I actually get to read it but for now I don't think I like that.
    Now if they were to make out instead of making up... okay okay I'll show myself out.
    No. I'm with you on the make out front.
    Last edited by jackolover; 12-22-2016 at 05:35 PM.