Default What happened to the Money?

Chances are Pa and Ma Kent had life insurance policies on themselves just in case something unforeseen happened to ether one of them so what happened to the pay-out? I was reading Superman: Speeding Bullets again and wondering what would Clark Kent do with Bruce Wayne Money when I got to thinking how this Clark lost both his parents too. Sure he leased the farm land out but what happened to the other money? Did he use it for College? He wasn't actually living large at Mrs. Nxy' Place. Did the the writers just forget? He could have used that cash to float ClarkCatropolis for awhile instead of being a deadbeat.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lokimaru View Post
    Chances are Pa and Ma Kent had life insurance policies on themselves just in case something unforeseen happened to ether one of them so what happened to the pay-out? I was reading Superman: Speeding Bullets again and wondering what would Clark Kent do with Bruce Wayne Money when I got to thinking how this Clark lost both his parents too. Sure he leased the farm land out but what happened to the other money? Did he use it for College? He wasn't actually living large at Mrs. Nxy' Place. Did the the writers just forget? He could have used that cash to float ClarkCatropolis for awhile instead of being a deadbeat.
    Well, we do know the Kent lost lots of money trying to get Ma pregnant through medical means, to the point that, when they considered adopting in ways that don't involve crashing spaceships, they thought about mortgaging the farm so they could get the cash to do so. So they probably weren't very rich to begin with and didn't have much money to give in their life insurance.
    As sad as it sounds, farmers these days are more likely to have debts than anything. Comes with the constant pressure to buy new material for the farm. And since Clark gave away the one thing of value his parents would have left him-the farm itself-, I doubt they left him much cash or that they could afford to subscribe to a life insurance policy that would give him millions of dollars or whatever.
    Add to that the fact that he lived in Metropolis for 3 months before finding a job (sure, he lived at Jimmy's place, but I doubt Clark would have just accepted the guy to pay him everything), and that said job was in a struggling newspaper that couldn't afford to pay him all that much, and it's likely he spent it all in the 6 years before he started his blog.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

That wouldn't be anywhere close to Bruce Wayne money.

Superman doesn't have to worry about money
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    That wouldn't be anywhere close to Bruce Wayne money.

Superman doesn't have to worry about money
    I think we're talking CLARK with money (i.e. publicly available funds that everyone knows about) rather than Superman with money (who doesn't need to eat, can create gems on a whim and would likely be able to be the richest person in the world if he so chose but wouldn't be able to let everyone know that Clark has money). With that said, farm land itself is worth a fair amount. We don't know how big of a farm they had. It's possible that it would sell above the value of it we he to choose to do so (at least, according to the Topeke Capital-Journal, a Kansas newspaper). He probably could live comfortably for a decade ore more in Metropolis in the accommodations he was living in at Nxly's on that. More than comfortably though? Doubt it. Partying it up a la Bruce Wayne would blow the large nest egg he has right quick.
    Last edited by UltraWoman; 07-05-2014 at 07:30 AM.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UltraWoman View Post
    I think we're talking CLARK with money (i.e. publicly available funds that everyone knows about) rather than Superman with money (who doesn't need to eat, can create gems on a whim and would likely be able to be the richest person in the world if he so chose but wouldn't be able to let everyone know that Clark has money). With that said, farm land itself is worth a fair amount. We don't know how big of a farm they had. It's possible that it would sell above the value of it we he to choose to do so (at least, according to the Topeke Capital-Journal, a Kansas newspaper). He probably could live comfortably for a decade ore more in Metropolis in the accommodations he was living in at Nxly's on that. More than comfortably though? Doubt it. Partying it up a la Bruce Wayne would blow the large nest egg he has right quick.
    He didn't sell the farm. He gave it away to a family that lost their farm and ended up homeless.
    Because he's a nice guy like that.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokimaru View Post
    Sure he leased the farm land out but what happened to the other money? Did he use it for College? He wasn't actually living large at Mrs. Nxy' Place. Did the the writers just forget? He could have used that cash to float ClarkCatropolis for awhile instead of being a deadbeat.
    Without any information pointing to the contrary, it seems to me that we can't say the Kents had life insurance policies. Neither a character nor a narration blurb has mentioned it.

But, if we assume that they did, then it either wasn't much--perhaps enough for Clark to travel and live on his own for a while--or was simply enough to cover the cost of their funeral expenses.

Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

like it was said before, a 200K payout or there abouts is nothing compared to Bruce Money...But Supe's if he wanted to could dig up enough Gold, Diamonds, or Oil to make him 10x's as rich as Bruce if he wanted too.. Simply put; Thats not Kal

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Clark doesn't need money, he can just do manual labor and make a decent enough living to get on his feet in Metropolis. It's not like he gets tired, or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Girl 94 View Post
    like it was said before, a 200K payout or there abouts is nothing compared to Bruce Money...But Supe's if he wanted to could dig up enough Gold, Diamonds, or Oil to make him 10x's as rich as Bruce if he wanted too.. Simply put; Thats not Kal
    A-men. (ten char)

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

A lot of people don't really have big life insurance policys. Some I know have enough to bury them with a little left over but nothing to exessive. Being farmers in the Midwest I would guess that the Kents didn't have real big policys if any at all.

Even if there was any money knowing Clark he would have donated it or something. But with that said, absolutely nothing out of the ordinary over the idea that there might not have been anything substantial anyway.

Astonishing Member

All those "S-symbol" t-shirts didn't come cheap, I guess.