Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default The CW reboots "Charmed"

'Charmed' Reboot in the Works at The CW

The 'Jane the Virgin' team, including showrunner Jennie Snyder Urman, is behind the show set in the '70s.
    The CW is adding another reboot to its development slate.

Following a prolonged negotiation, the network is reteaming with Jane the Virgin showrunner Jennie Snyder Urman for a Charmed reboot, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

The drama is described as a reimagining of the original TV series set in 1976. The reboot will be connected to the original series in some fashion, though it's not entirely clear at this point how that will come to pass.

Jane the Virgin writers Jessica O'Toole and Amy Rardin created the story. The script will be written by O'Toole and Rardin. Propagate Content's Ben Silverman, who exec produces Jane alongside O'Toole, Rardin and Urman, will serve in the same capacity. Jane director Brad Silberling will also exec produce and direct the pilot.

The project, which received a script commitment, hails from CBS Television Studios, where both Urman and Silberling are under overall deals.

The Charmed reboot comes more than three years after CBS announced plans to remake the original series, which ran on The WB Network for eight seasons, from 1998-2006, and starred Shannen Doherty, Holly Marie Combs, Alyssa Milano and Rose McGowan.

The original was created by Constance M. Burge and exec produced by Aaron Spelling. CBS Television Studios, who owns the rights to Spelling's vast TV library, was attached to exec produce the CBS reboot in 2013. That project hailed from Party of Five co-creator Chris Keyser and Sydney Sidner.

The CBS reboot, which never went beyond the development stage, did not receive support from original stars Milano and McGowan. "The thing about them doing a #charmed reboot is… it just… it feels like yesterday. It feels too close," Milano wrote. McGowan, meanwhile, thought the project lacked originality. "They really are running out of ideas in Hollywood," she wrote, adding: "lame lame lame lamertons."

For The CW, the Charmed reboot arrives as the younger-skewing network is poised to say farewell to The Vampire Diaries with the future of its spinoff, The Originals, unclear without the flagship. Charmed also marks the latest reboot in the works for The CW, which is already prepping Dynasty with The O.C. grads Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage.

Reboots continue to remain in high demand as broadcast, cable and streaming outlets look for proved IP in a bid to cut through a cluttered scripted landscape that is quickly approaching 500 original series. Key to the remakes is having the original producers involved in some capacity as more studios look to monetize their existing film libraries. (With Charmed, CBS TV Studios owning the rights to the Spelling library fulfills that commitment.)

Already in the works this season are reboots of Car Wash (ABC), Sneakers (NBC), Enemy of the State (ABC), War of the Worlds (MTV), Magnum P.I. (ABC), The Lost Boys (The CW), Varsity Blues (CMT), The Departed (Amazon), Let the Right One In (TNT) and L.A. Law, among others.

I'm really fond of Charmed. Perhaps if it were an actual 'remake' of the original series, it would have been to close on that show's heels, considering it ended only eleven years ago. But with this 1970s setting, I'd say it differs enough from the original's premise and it would probably be its own animal. A new entry in the Charmed mythos. I'm game for it, as long as it captures that balance between fantasy, action, drama, romance, and comedy. Not sure why Milano and McGowan would be so opposed to it.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

I was a fan of the original Charmed.

I had not heard they were going to remake Charmed, nor any of the various other shows. While a fan of most of them, I am not sure how well the remakes will be done. This is always a concern. A poor remake somehow cheapens the original and can make fans think less of the original.

I think actors never want their shows to have new characters play them and with a different take than what they presented. I guess it is part of acting.

However, on the other hand, I have said for about 15 years that Hollywood has lost its imagination and run out of good ideas. So Rose McGowen is actually agreeing with me! Lol.

BANNED

Welp, surely it can't be less interesting than the original version?

I remember it as the show I really wanted to like, but it just was too mediocre and formulaic to get into.

And all their male love interests were these huge, giant voids of anti-charisma.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Welp, surely it can't be less interesting than the original version?

I remember it as the show I really wanted to like, but it just was too mediocre and formulaic to get into.

And all their male love interests were these huge, giant voids of anti-charisma.
    A bunch of folks who love 'em some Norman Reedus would likely disagree.

As for the show, it's not like they are messing up the legacy of something like The Americans or Fringe.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Oh for the love of god, just use the original cast. They all want to do it, all of the existing fan base want them to be used again.

Why are networks so stupid?

How can I be both excited and nervous about this whole thing? A reimagining sounds a bit better than a reboot, but I would have preferred a sequel series with Holly, Alyssa, and Rose reprising their roles. (Wyatt, Chris, and the other kids they have can just stay in the background for all I care)

The part about it being connected to the original series, but set in 1976, makes me wonder if it could have anything to do with that episode when they traveled back to the 70s. It could be about Grams and Patty raising the girls with other members of the Warren family guesting since spoilers:
    the actual Charmed Ones had their powers bound post 1975
    end of spoilers. Though with this show, it could be the sisters casting a spell that takes them back to the 70s and puts them into the bodies of other sisters who happen to be witches.

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    A bunch of folks who love 'em some Norman Reedus would likely disagree.
    He was a villain of the month in a two-parter (okay, villain of two months).

I meant the regulars. the White Lighter and the cop and the guy who couldn't decide if he was going to be evil or not. There probably were others but I don't remember them.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    Oh for the love of god, just use the original cast. They all want to do it, all of the existing fan base want them to be used again.

Why are networks so stupid?
    I have two words for you: Battlestar Galactica.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    He was a villain of the month in a two-parter (okay, villain of two months).

I meant the regulars. the White Lighter and the cop and the guy who couldn't decide if he was going to be evil or not. There probably were others but I don't remember them.
    The guy who couldn't decide was my favorite of the guys. I would have liked Darryl (the cop who put his ass on the line constantly for them) more, but the writers never gave him much to do and the sisters pretty much crapped all over him to save themselves. The others you don't remember were the worst. One thing I commend the show for never doing (outside of the teasing between Phoebe and Piper over the White Lighter) were love triangles.

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

My g/f and I both enjoyed Charmed, but agree that the show jumped the shark when Julian McMahon left to do nip/tuck. That said, if the new show takes place in the 1970s, I would prefer it to be a prequel featuring younger versions of the girls' mother and grandmother.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    My g/f and I both enjoyed Charmed, but agree that the show jumped the shark when Julian McMahon left to do nip/tuck. That said, if the new show takes place in the 1970s, I would prefer it to be a prequel featuring younger versions of the girls' mother and grandmother.
    Focusing on the grandmother alone could work. Well, I guess it depends on how closely you stick to some of the "Taking Place In The Past" episodes that seemed not to line up time-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    I think it would tied them too much creatively. I think altern reality is a better choice. A parallel world that is 40 years behind ours.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

Mighty Member

Ok this is a in name only show:

http://tvline.com/2017/01/05/charmed...requel-series/

the characters are not only not of the Warren line but not even siblings:

Scroll down to check out the unofficial descriptions for the new diverse trio, and then hit the comments with your thoughts!

Tina: African American. Whip-smart, Tina is one dissertation (and one dissertation advisor) away from a PhD. She can be reserved, even standoffish, in uncomfortable situations, but she picks up on
    everything and she’s definitely making quick, accurate judgments about you.

Paige: Caucasian Cheerful, curvy, wholesome and as all-American as the apple pie she can’t wait to serve to the husband she has yet to marry. Paige’s main goal in life is to marry a rich doctor and be a wife and mother.

Annie: Caucasian. Intense, smart, and quick to anger. She dresses neutrally, though she could give two s–ts if you like her outfit, so stop wondering what “neutral” means. But under that tough façade, well… there is a fragility. A person desperate to be loved, and love.

Ultimate Member

Sounds like it'll get a lot of press and then flop horribly...