Page 1 of 37 1234511 ... LastLast

Default How long is this going to go on.

I FEEL LIKE I'VE BEEN IN A BAD DREAM.I HAVEN'T COLLECTED ANY MARVEL COMICS IN ALMOST 10 YEARS.WHAT'S HAPPENED TO MARVEL COMICS.I'M FOR CHANGE IF CHANGE IS GOOD.BUT THIS IS RIDICILOUS.THEIR WAS A TIME WHEN I LOOKED FORWARD TO BUYING.THE FANTASTIC FOUR.THE UNCANNY X MEN.THE AVENGERS.NEW WARRIORS.ECT.NOW I DON'T EVEN RECOGNIZE THIS COMPANY ANYMORE.THOR IS UNWORTHY.IRON MAN IS IN A COMA.THE HULK...DEAD.MR FANTASTIC and the INVISIVIBLE WOMAN.MIA.JEAN GREY and CYCLOPS DEAD.WTH.SO MY QUESTION IS.HOW LONG IS THIS GOING TO LAST.

Until people stop buying the comics. And the 2-3 relaunches that come after.

Mighty Member

I think you're overreacting. But I'll admit Marvels quality has dipped a bit in the past few years

Niffleheim

10 years??!!! Then what is the complaint?

Quote Originally Posted by Danileriver23 View Post
    I think you're overreacting. But I'll admit Marvels quality has dipped a bit in the past few years
    Co-sign, right now what i'm missing is writers that are actually building something that i'm excited about.
    Last edited by Tofali; 01-05-2017 at 08:43 PM.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Quote Originally Posted by warzon View Post
    I FEEL LIKE I'VE BEEN IN A BAD DREAM.I HAVEN'T COLLECTED ANY MARVEL COMICS IN ALMOST 10 YEARS.WHAT'S HAPPENED TO MARVEL COMICS.I'M FOR CHANGE IF CHANGE IS GOOD.BUT THIS IS RIDICILOUS.THEIR WAS A TIME WHEN I LOOKED FORWARD TO BUYING.THE FANTASTIC FOUR.THE UNCANNY X MEN.THE AVENGERS.NEW WARRIORS.ECT.NOW I DON'T EVEN RECOGNIZE THIS COMPANY ANYMORE.THOR IS UNWORTHY.IRON MAN IS IN A COMA.THE HULK...DEAD.MR FANTASTIC and the INVISIVIBLE WOMAN.MIA.JEAN GREY and CYCLOPS DEAD.WTH.SO MY QUESTION IS.HOW LONG IS THIS GOING TO LAST.
    Not a fan of the current Marvel Comics at all. If I were you, I'd wait until maybe the Editor-in-Chief changes, because Alonso has steered this ship right into rocks, if you ask me.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Forever until you stop buying comics. Small hint, 10 years ago people were complaining about the direction of comics, also 20 years ago. When people stop buying comics they will die, and then people will complain that they died.

Characters die and change all the time, and then they revert, that's how the big two work. You either accept it until you get sick of it, or you drop it.
    Last edited by Kusanagi; 01-05-2017 at 08:52 PM.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    Forever until you stop buying comics. Small hint, 10 years ago people were complaining about the direction of comics, also 20 years ago. When people stop buying comics they will die, and then people will complain that they died.

Characters dies and change all the time, and then they revert, that's how the big two work. You either accept it until you get sick of it, or you drop it.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Stop screaming lol
    We need better comics

BANNED

ho hum another one of those. just give them the old heave ho and start writing your own comics!

Funny, the I could ask the same thing about these types of threads.

So you haven't bought comics in 10 years, but you feel the need to complain about what happened.

Understand, you left, if you had continued to purchase, perhaps things might have been different.

Jean Grey died over ten years ago. But I'm going to spot you a few years. but I would say you haven't purchased any comics in over 15 years. It might even be as high as 20 if you are remembering fondly New Warriors.

You can never go home again.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

To be fair, there will always people who have those opinions. If you ever got the 'perfect' Marvel comics you wanted, then someone else would be upset with said direction. It happens in any medium of fiction. I personally like what Marvel have been doing over the past few years, but who knows what the future will hold? I sometimes want to go back an read all the letters people sent Marvel in the 70's and 80's. The way some people talk you would think it was nothing but solid gold praise, but I get the feeling there would be a lot of opinion to the contrary.

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post

Characters die and change all the time, and then they revert, that's how the big two work. You either accept it until you get sick of it, or you drop it.
    That... is a brilliant post.

Incredible Member JoeWithoutFear's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    Not a fan of the current Marvel Comics at all. If I were you, I'd wait until maybe the Editor-in-Chief changes, because Alonso has steered this ship right into rocks, if you ask me.
    This. I try out Marvel's new offerings all the time and I keep revisiting ones I've passed on in the hopes they'll get better. But Marvel has just been completely off the rails the last few years. They aren't telling super hero stories anymore, it's all just awkward attempts at moral lessons that are either so obvious everyone's parents should have taught them, or completely insane Buzzfeed schlock.

I try to vote with my wallet, but how am I supposed to know what's in the books if I don't buy them!?
    Me: "Wanna be Hawkeye and Hawkeye next Halloween?"
    My wife: "Only if I get to be Clint."

I think there is a little justification to the OP's point of view. After 10 years away from the Marvel brand, he's come back and it's nothing close to how he remembers it. This is the first time in decades that we've seen such a sudden and drastic shift in characters, and it can be jarring to returning and even new readers.

Example: I was in my LCS today picking up books when I overheard this from a little girl, around the 7-8 year old phase I'd guess.
    Kid: "Mom, why is the Thor here a lady?"
    Mom: "I have no idea."
    Kid: "Where's the Thor from the movies, I like him."
    Mom: "I guess he's not in these books honey. Let's find you something else."
    (At this point, being the comic book nerd I am, and a helpful guy to those requiring assistance; I grab a copy of Unworthy Thor and take it over to them)
    Me: "I think this is the one you want."
    Kid: "Yeah! That's him!"
    Mom: "Why is it called Unworthy Thor? Isn't he just Thor?"
    Me: "Basically, Odin called Thor Unworthy, changed the inscription on the hammer, a woman picked it up and became the new Thor and the previous Thor is now just The Odinson."
    Mom: "That's confusing."
    Kid: "That's stupid."
    Me: "Well it's what Marvel wants these days. They think this will appeal to female readers more then what's been established for decades. And since the current Thor book and others are selling, I guess it works."
    (At this point I bid them "good day" and go back to finding other things to read. I hear the same situation repeated with Iron Man only moments later. The Mom looks my way for an explanation. I just say "It's what Marvel wants to do" and shrug.)

Marvel doesn't seem to get the point that it's not the characters that are drawing in new readers, it's things like the movies, Cartoons and stuff like that. But when some uninformed new readers get to the LCS and pick up the books only to find completely different characters in the title role, or some just removed from the books completely, then they often just put the books down and leave the store without buying anything or very little. We can try and send them to the Graphic Novel section to get something they might recognize, but then it becomes an issue of having to pick key stories or series and that just scares them off too.

I'm not going to place the blame on any one thing Marvel is doing, or one specific person doing it, but I think Marvel needs to step back, rethink their marketing strategy and hopefully find some sort of point that can keep the books fresh and appealing to current and long term readers, but also familiar with newer crossover readership that wants to start their journey with Marvel comics.

Hopefully, it'll go on forever. I love what Marvel's doing. I want them to keep going the current direction.