Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    Rucka did say he wants a god appearing to be a big thing. Remember when the Green Lantern corp tried fighting the new gods? Crushed, basically. Diana could stand a better chance but I don't think she wants to take the chance when a peaceful option can be found.
    that still falls back on how rucka has written it

Quote Originally Posted by Aphrodite's Champion View Post

She didn't crush him but she did fight him and win it was pretty fun and movie worthy tbh
    Thanks for the scans, AC!!!! You're the MOST!

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

that still falls back on how rucka has written it
    I'm not really getting what you're driving at? I mean EVERYTHING in a story goes how the writer says it goes. Clearly, Rucka wanted a scene to showcase Diana's diplomacy, rather than her martial skill.

Sure, Rucka could've had the encounter take place on a desert island for some strange reason. He could've given Diana a new power in which she can teleport herself and her enemies into a lifeless pocket dimension. He could've had Steve simply not be present at the site. He could've decided to make Ares a relatively weak opponent who Diana could've crushed with ease. But all this wouldn't be telling the story he wanted told.

But if he did? What then? If Diana does kick Ares' butt in this first encounter, where's the story? Diana beats up the God of War the first time she ever sees him......and? What happens next? Ares walks away to sulk and Diana and Steve just ride off into the sunset?
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    I'm not really getting what you're driving at? I mean EVERYTHING in a story goes how the writer says it goes. Clearly, Rucka wanted a scene to showcase Diana's diplomacy, rather than her martial skill.

Sure, Rucka could've had the encounter take place on a desert island for some strange reason. He could've given Diana a new power in which she can teleport herself and her enemies into a lifeless pocket dimension. He could've had Steve simply not be present at the site. He could've decided to make Ares a relatively weak opponent who Diana could've crushed with ease. But all this wouldn't be telling the story he wanted told.

But if he did? What then? If Diana does kick Ares' butt in this first encounter, where's the story? Diana beats up the God of War the first time she ever sees him......and? What happens next? Ares walks away to sulk and Diana and Steve just ride off into the sunset?
    I mean yeah she beats up the god of war and saves the day and ends the turmoil people put up with so she can go on to fight the next fight. There are otherways to show diplomacy than having her kneel to her biggest opponent its sort of anticlimatic tbh.

I mean yeah she beats up the god of war and saves the day and ends the turmoil people put up with so she can go on to fight the next fight. There are otherways to show diplomacy than having her kneel to her biggest opponent its sort of anticlimatic tbh.
    Of course it's anticlimactic. This isn't the climax of the story. Clearly Ares needs to somehow reach Paradise Island, and he can't do that if he's a bloody wreck on the ground.

Diana has never been too proud to kneel. Even before one of her worst enemies. If that's the best way to save lives, then that's what she'll do. Lives were at stake. She knows the gods well enough to know that appealing to their nature is a better way to persuade them than trying to beat them down. So she did the thing that was most likely to save people. Seems like a quintessential Wonder Woman story to me.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Thanks for the scans, AC!!!! You're the MOST!
    No problem, I'm actually really glad you even mentioned it im due for a reread lol.

Mighty Member

Of course it's anticlimactic. This isn't the climax of the story. Clearly Ares needs to somehow reach Paradise Island, and he can't do that if he's a bloody wreck on the ground.

Diana has never been too proud to kneel. Even before one of her worst enemies. If that's the best way to save lives, then that's what she'll do. Lives were at stake. She knows the gods well enough to know that appealing to their nature is a better way to persuade them than trying to beat them down. So she did the thing that was most likely to save people. Seems like a quintessential Wonder Woman story to me.
    Yeah I think you have to remember im talking about the story as a whole and how its structured not just this moment, but you are right that it's not over yet so we'll have to see how things end up. I don't think its about Diana's pride persay and more about wanting the hero to be heroic esp against her biggest villain. Also like yeah sometimes you do have to kneel to bad people but its much more rewarding to see the bad people get whats coming to them and frankly as a female character I'd rather see her punch the bad person than kneel to them. I think the diplomacy and the kindness works best when she has to fight lesser villains or villains that aren't something as horrible as the literal embodiment of war.
    Last edited by Lex Luthor; 01-06-2017 at 07:58 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Well, technically Simone or Marston right? Didn't he have her outright crushing him in one of the earliest adventures?
    More like avoiding him then tripping him before retreating if the following scan is an indicator. As results go, I'd put it around the culmination of WWH vs the Juggernaut.

Those are all things the writer put in place, none of these things are real so they can be changed in anyway you want them to be esp since this is a different Ares than before
    So basically because this is a work of fiction and subject to change, you get dips on how the future is going to be when there is not a terribly strong historical precedence for it panning out that way? I suppose so... kinda like Superman suddenly loosing the power of flight.

I think the diplomacy and the kindness works best when she has to fight lesser villains or villains that aren't something as horrible as the literal embodiment of war.
    Agreed, but considering the mythological path Rucka is following, we need to see Ares as a god first and a villain later. Even if he's not one of her patrons and represents something she doesn't agree on, he is still a sacred being.

It's a matter of respect. She knows she is under him in the hierarchy and tries to convince him to stop from that place. She won't take another approach until there is no other way.

Quote Originally Posted by Joao View Post
    Agreed, but considering the mythological path Rucka is following, we need to see Ares as a god first and a villain later. Even if he's not one of her patrons and represents something she doesn't agree on, he is still a sacred being.

It's a matter of respect. She knows she is under him in the hierarchy and tries to convince him to stop from that place. She won't take another approach until there is no other way.
    It's also important to note? Diana attacked Ares twice already. I think we can safely assume that had Ares rejected Diana's entreaty, she would've gotten off her knees and fought him then and there.

She tried another way to end the conflict without bloodshed. If it hadn't worked, it's pretty obvious Diana would've fallen back on fighting.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    More like avoiding him then tripping him before retreating if the following scan is an indicator. As results go, I'd put it around the culmination of WWH vs the Juggernaut.

So basically because this is a work of fiction and subject to change, you get dips on how the future is going to be when there is not a terribly strong historical precedence for it panning out that way? I suppose so... kinda like Superman suddenly loosing the power of flight.
    What? I'm commenting on the story who said anything about the future? If you just want the story told differently than I do then enjoy what you got without being obnoxious about it.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joao View Post

I see where you're coming from but that still hinges on how Rucka wrote him. He wrote a situation where her actions make sense and I'm not saying she's wrong but that its unfulfilling as a story to not see her fight back

Mighty Member

It's also important to note? Diana attacked Ares twice already. I think we can safely assume that had Ares rejected Diana's entreaty, she would've gotten off her knees and fought him then and there.

She tried another way to end the conflict without bloodshed. If it hadn't worked, it's pretty obvious Diana would've fallen back on fighting.
    Again I'm not talking about things like that that Rucka put in place. She would have fought back if need be but she didnt at least not from what I can see from these few scans.

I see where you're coming from but that still hinges on how Rucka wrote him. He wrote a situation where her actions make sense and I'm not saying she's wrong but that its unfulfilling as a story to not see her fight back
    He wrote him as powerful and dangerous. Should he have written him as weak and moronic?

She DID fight back. Twice. Then Ares grabbed Steve and could have easily popped his head like a zit if he wanted to, so Diana decided to try appealing to his enormous ego instead.

Also? This is a preview, not the whole story. Who's to say Ares doesn't renege and Diana DOES fight him later in th he issue?

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Mighty Member

He wrote him as powerful and dangerous. Should he have written him as weak and moronic?

She DID fight back. Twice. Then Ares grabbed Steve and could have easily popped his head like a zit if he wanted to, so Diana decided to try appealing to his enormous ego instead.

Also? This is a preview, not the whole story. Who's to say Ares doesn't renege and Diana DOES fight him later in th he issue?
    Fight him and save the day is what I mean. I don't think Ares was written with enough build up for it to work the way I'm talking about which is why I said I was talking about the way Rucka wrote him not just this one moment. I already admitted I didn't know what would happen and im going off what info we know but you keep replying so what do you want me to do?
    Last edited by Lex Luthor; 01-07-2017 at 10:38 AM.