Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Marvel Ends Current Free Digital Codes for Print Titles

Last edited by Captain M; 01-06-2017 at 01:57 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Translated-we are going to give you books that you might not care for versus the one you might.

Also if this turns out to be mainly event related books as free ones-you just killed you event buying because everyone will just wait it out.

....why?

I honestly only buy Marvel physical copies so I can get the digital code too. I preferred having both versions but now? What if you get a code to a book you already have? So you've essentially just bought it again. This is dumb. Guess I don't have any incentive to buy physical copies anymore.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aliltron View Post
    ....why?

I honestly only buy Marvel physical copies so I can get the digital code too. I preferred having both versions but now? What if you get a code to a book you already have? So you've essentially just bought it again. This is dumb. Guess I don't have any incentive to buy physical copies anymore.
    Same boat and I don't even like reading online.

I could agree with it-if you got a choice of books to pick.

If buying say Prowler gave me access to a lot of his previous appearances-sure.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Same boat and I don't even like reading online.

I could agree with it-if you got a choice of books to pick.

If buying say Prowler gave me access to a lot of his previous appearances-sure.
    I enjoy reading both and that's why I loved picking up Marvel books. I could read the physical copy or if I was, say waiting at a doctor's appointment or something, I could pull out the digital version and read it. If you had a choice that'd be better. Or what if you had a choice between the BONUS books or the digital code of the book you just picked up? Honestly I think this is going to backfire for them. I've already seen a lot of people saying they're unsubscribing from their LCS Marvel books.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I don't think this is a such a great promo and I can't see many customers going for it. I think the current system is better....I like having a digital version of something I bought.

I get that it's probably a way to cut down on people selling digital codes on eBay but I really don't think this is going to work. Honestly, I'd almost prefer them to just have no digital codes and just bring the price down to $2.99.

Extraordinary Member

No thanks Marvel.

Honestly losing my patience////

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

I can see why Marvel have moved away from the current system. Over the last few years I've traded hundreds of codes and have read well over £1000 worth of comics that I didn't buy. Perhaps Marvel feels they are being denied that money and people will pony up that money to continue reading the books they haven't been purchasing.

Unfortunately, I'm on a strict budget so that won't be happening. In fact, now that their books are less value for money I might turn my attention to other publishers.

Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

Well on the upside we still have marvel unlimited and I'm optimistic that marvel will never get rid of that service.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aliltron View Post
    I get that it's probably a way to cut down on people selling digital codes on eBay but I really don't think this is going to work. Honestly, I'd almost prefer them to just have no digital codes and just bring the price down to $2.99.
    Lets see if I am Marvel would I be worried about codes begin sold on ebay for say 50 cents? Or traded?

Or be concerned a store had all those extra copies I sent in 25 cent bins? Like mine did with Champions? And while they sold out at that price-how many came back for issue 2?

This is not going to help your stores. It does more to hurt them. If I can't have both-SOMEBODY has to go.

How many will say bye to the store? Go digital OR go to Ebay for deals on sets? I mean 99 cents and $4.00 shipping for Mockingbird's entire run with codes still good-is a deal for me. ANd I can still sell it to the used book store.

ive never understood the business decision to give away the free codes anyway. Seemed... odd. Unless they were just trying to get people interested in digital

This makes more sense business wise.

I woudln't be surprised if Marvel would prefer everyonejust transferred to digital honestly
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ianbarreilles View Post
    Well on the upside we still have marvel unlimited and I'm optimistic that marvel will never get rid of that service.
    Eventually they will or change it to exclude books. In other words you might have to wait x-years to get books released in 2016.

From my point of view, that just devalues there already expensive books even more. I don't like the 4 dollar price point to begin with and I'm not a digital comics guy anyway, but having the extra digital copy wasn't to bad of a justification. Now it's just crap like CW2 #0, a book I already have and don't even want. I would actually be for this if it was say, something like when they did some Cap Wolf stuff in the Sam Wilson book, if it had a couple of classic Cap Wolf issues with it. Right now it just seems like instead of getting another copy of the book you want, you just get an advertisement to go buy the trade of the latest crappy event.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    ive never understood the business decision to give away the free codes anyway. Seemed... odd.

This makes more sense business wise.
    It does and doesn't.

Since those codes have x amount of time to be used-it does make you get the book ASAP or within a time frame.