Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default SHould Diana have other magical abilities

I been thinking. Diana herself is very durable to magic attacks but she herself hasn't done magic a lot. Do you guys think she should be able to do magic blast or some other forms of magic? I mean we see they have amazon sorceresses and other magic abilities. I wonder how Amazon magic should be different them other forms of magic.

Mighty Member

Nothing too crazy but I wouldn't mind if she knew a little bit here and there if the story calls for it

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I been thinking. Diana herself is very durable to magic attacks but she herself hasn't done magic a lot. Do you guys think she should be able to do magic blast or some other forms of magic? I mean we see they have amazon sorceresses and other magic abilities. I wonder how Amazon magic should be different them other forms of magic.
    It would make her fights against beings like Circe, a lot more interesting cause at least Diana could do virtually everything Circe does.

I think they could try to do magic like the Doctor Strange movie. From what i remember, magic mainly seemed to be using a lot of body movements to control the world around them. Ex, you've probably seen the movie but with a slinging they can make portals by essentially making an air circle in conjunction with the ring, or how the Ancient one swiped her fingers across and changed the buildings, etc. But they also can materialize weapons and make shields and portals by using hand movements. So they could with some mystical elements but still have traditional beatemup scenes.

I think that would work for Diana really well. I only brifley watch a JL Action episode, but with the one that featured Circe, I remembered that one spell that trapped Diana, it looked like Circe simply closed her hands her together and an earth/fist shaped popped out.

Fantastic Member

Diana herself doesn't need more powers. I m fine with giving her weapons more abilities, Lasso should have magical abilities beyond extracting information and restraining villains. You can give so many powers and abilities to golden lasso.

Unbreakable.
    Anyone bound by it speaks the truth.
    Disperses illusions.
    Protects User from mind control and illusions.
    Can open portals
    Magical fire
    Enchant items
    Invisibility

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Not so long ago, I would've said this wasn't a good idea. Diana's already a flying brick with no real weaknesses. Does she really need to be a sorceress too?

Then the New 52 came along, and Shazam was re-designed as a flying brick who also seems to have a degree of spellcasting ability, and it honestly looked pretty cool. So, I can't help but think that this is another case of Diana getting passed over for an upgrade that could've been pretty great for her.

I mean, it's doubtful that Shazam was going to be one of those "I can do literally ANYTHING" kind of spellcasters, but the way he was presented was basically a flying brick like Superman, who can also call upon a variety of spells to serve as his "utility powers." I don't think we'd see Shazam turning villains into bunnies with a wave of his hand, but breaking evil spells? Analyzing magic and figuring out how it works? It was like magic was going to be Shazam's answer to Superman's suite of sensory powers.

This would work great for Diana, too. Frankly, I'd like to see DC give this to Diana instead of Shazam. With this kind of upgrade, Diana can become like Superman's magical counterpart. Superman can study the physical world? Diana can use magic to study the arcane and the mystical. Superman has a suite of powers that give him tremendous flexibility? Diana uses magic spells to do much the same. Add in some stuff like healing spells and maybe even some prophecy, and Diana gains some truly dizzying levels of usefulness.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Well, I don't see why not. It could be easily introduced, since she has a mythological background, and would be a great aspect to differentiate her from Batman and Superman.

The only thing to be careful with is not to overpower her magic too much. Her physical abilities and skill with weapons (mainly the lasso) should always come first. But I wouldn't mind a period of training with amazons who practice magic, especially with a good storyline behind it.

I could see something like Avatar (The Last Airbender/The Legend of Korra) or even some of Naruto concepts (basic genjustsu/healing techniques) happenning. Both have a very spiritual explanation, but since the ancients were a lot more integrated with nature and divine forces than we are today... I don't think it would be that hard to introduce that in WW.

I think that unlike all of other powers Diana's magic should be on the level of Amazon sorceresses . So on Circe's level no but she should have powerful defensive magic and magic that can absorb others magical attacks and counteract. I think that what should set the Amazons magic attack is counterattack

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Not so long ago, I would've said this wasn't a good idea. Diana's already a flying brick with no real weaknesses. Does she really need to be a sorceress too?

Then the New 52 came along, and Shazam was re-designed as a flying brick who also seems to have a degree of spellcasting ability, and it honestly looked pretty cool. So, I can't help but think that this is another case of Diana getting passed over for an upgrade that could've been pretty great for her.

I mean, it's doubtful that Shazam was going to be one of those "I can do literally ANYTHING" kind of spellcasters, but the way he was presented was basically a flying brick like Superman, who can also call upon a variety of spells to serve as his "utility powers." I don't think we'd see Shazam turning villains into bunnies with a wave of his hand, but breaking evil spells? Analyzing magic and figuring out how it works? It was like magic was going to be Shazam's answer to Superman's suite of sensory powers.

This would work great for Diana, too. Frankly, I'd like to see DC give this to Diana instead of Shazam. With this kind of upgrade, Diana can become like Superman's magical counterpart. Superman can study the physical world? Diana can use magic to study the arcane and the mystical. Superman has a suite of powers that give him tremendous flexibility? Diana uses magic spells to do much the same. Add in some stuff like healing spells and maybe even some prophecy, and Diana gains some truly dizzying levels of usefulness.
    They tried it with the God of War but no one tried doing jackshit with it. They could have given her dominion over the dead soldiers. Since all gods appeared to use magic and such, they could have explored the magical aspects more in depth. But no one really did anything noteworthy and I skipped most of the Finch run. It was a waste of potential. She did use that soldier telepathy like once lol.

Been lurking since '08 Marik Swift's Avatar

Wonder Woman herself should at least be knowledge in magic. She knows a lot about it, but doesn't actually have an affinity for it.

However, her WEAPONS SHOULD. DC seems so hesitant to do so many things with Wonder Woman. They give her mythological stories, but are afraid to dwelve into other mythologies with her. They give her weapons, but are afraid to fully pull the trigger on giving her as much of them as possible. She should have a wide variety of weapons to choose from, most with varying magical capabilities.

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

-summoning the fires of hestia from her lasso
    -bring back her telepathic/astral projection
    -let her summon or shoot lightning from her bracelets
    -bring back her invulnerability to fire

If the Amazons DO have magical studies, and a variety of disciplines to specialize in, I'd prefer Diana to be crap at them.

While I fully support a collection of magically-enabled weaponry, I think giving Diana a form of study that she sticks at would be Good Characterization. Like, she mastered a few small spells, like a self-heal, or a speak to animals.

What I DONT want to see are magical tropes that read as prestidigitation or sleight of hand. Amazonian magic should be wildly primordial, involve sacrifice, potions, weird ritual and unpredictabilities. Leave magical energy blasts to Fourth Worlders.

Quote Originally Posted by Rig View Post
    Diana herself doesn't need more powers. I m fine with giving her weapons more abilities, Lasso should have magical abilities beyond extracting information and restraining villains. You can give so many powers and abilities to golden lasso.

Unbreakable.
    Anyone bound by it speaks the truth.
    Disperses illusions.
    Protects User from mind control and illusions.
    Can open portals
    Magical fire
    Enchant items
    Invisibility
    I agree with this. Diana has enough power but her world and weapons don't have enough. Instead of doing magic herself, I'd rather the Amazons regained their Magic Sphere and there was a telepathic link in Diana's tiara (Mental Radio) that allowed her to communicate with Themyscira and other Amazons (Donna, Cassie, Hessia, Artemis & Nubia) from anywhere on or off the planet. These items could be credited to Amazon science more than magic or a mixture of the two. Useful Amazon artifacts like the Sandals of Hermes and Gauntlet of Atlas should also return to canon.

It would be nice however if complete knowledge of Amazon sorcery and magic abilities were given to one of Wonder Woman's Amazon allies that also live off island. My vote would go to Nubia since we know the least about her power set and Hessia already has Superman level armor.

As Queen of Themyscira Hippolyta should be able to cast minor spells and create illusions as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I agree with this. Diana has enough power but her world and weapons don't have enough. Instead of doing magic herself, I'd rather the Amazons regained their Magic Sphere and there was a telepathic link in Diana's tiara (Mental Radio) that allowed her to communicate with Themyscira and other Amazons (Donna, Cassie, Hessia, Artemis & Nubia) from anywhere on or off the planet. These items could be credited to Amazon science more than magic or a mixture of the two. Useful Amazon artifacts like the Sandals of Hermes and Gauntlet of Atlas should also return to canon.

It would be nice however if complete knowledge of Amazon sorcery and magic abilities were given to one of Wonder Woman's Amazon allies that also live off island. My vote would go to Nubia since we know the least about her power set and Hessia already has Superman level armor.

As Queen of Themyscira Hippolyta should be able to cast minor spells and create illusions as well.
    I do think some of the Amazons should have magically abilities and their science ties the two together. They are able to use magical blast and simple spells. I do think few Amazons should use magic but it's hard to learn.

I think her armor and weapons should be what is magical, not herself.

The Tiara - Allows her to astral project and maybe even teleport to other mythological locations. I like this as I believe the Amazons should be Earth's first line of defence against evertyhing. This is what they were created for.

The Bracelets - Bring back that they are remnants of the Ageis. Complete total protectection when crossed. Nothing is getting pass them.

The Lasso - This is the biggy. Complete and total control, whatever the owner wants. This is what makes it a dangerous weapon across the cosmos. Make it the counter to the Anti-Life Equation. This is something Darkseid himself would want. It is completely industructable and stretchable.

Her Sword - Lets bring the name in from the Movie "The God Killer" It can cut through literally anything, but at a price so that it isn't reagularly used.
    Richard Alexander

The lasso can also repair minds and make fire. Her bracelets should be also be also to do the sound wave attacks and the shield Diana needs should be able to besummon with out crossing her bracelets. Rather that when crossing her bracelets it's a shield that Diana can make any size she wants but the large it is the harder it should be to maintain it.