Incredible Member

Default So what happens to the Monster Movie-verse if the mummy fails?

From my under standing the monster verse is planned out and being set up starting with the mummy. What exactly happens to all this if that movie flat out bombs? Will they continue and hope for the best or will it just all be canceled?

It puts a kink in their plans, that's for sure. But they already had lukewarm responses to their Wolfman movie several years ago and their Dracula movie a couple of years ago - try, try again for them, it seems. I love the classic Universal monsters, but I just don't think they've got a good handle on how to do these characters. Wolfman got it close in spirit, but the movie had other flaws.

Wouldn't it be funny if Hammer came out of nowhere and did awesome Frankenstein and Dracula movies right off the bat while Uni's spent forever trying to figure out what to do with these characters?

Quote Originally Posted by Bossace View Post
    From my under standing the monster verse is planned out and being set up starting with the mummy. What exactly happens to all this if that movie flat out bombs? Will they continue and hope for the best or will it just all be canceled?
    These characters have been around for very long, there is no way they wouldn't try to pull back and go at it again. But seeing how they disavowed 'Dracula Untold' because it did poorly at the domestic market, the current Universal Universe has already had a chance to pull back and think this through. Hopefully whatever they came up with after that film will be much stronger. Though I didn't feel like 'Dracula Untold' was that poorly delivered.

Speaking of shared universe film project failures, wasn't there a rumor that Green Lantern would've started the DCEU earlier with Angela Basset's Angela Waller serving as a sort of "Nick Fury" for them (The role seems to have switched to Batman/Bruce Wayne in the current DCEU)?
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Killercroc357 View Post
    These characters have been around for very long, there is no way they wouldn't try to pull back and go at it again. But seeing how they disavowed 'Dracula Untold' because it did poorly at the domestic market, the current Universal Universe has already had a chance to pull back and think this through. Hopefully whatever they came up with after that film will be much stronger. Though I didn't feel like 'Dracula Untold' was that poorly delivered.
    It was bland but it wasn't something insufferable or something that could've affected the universe in a big way. I was sort of interested about that Dracula's future.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Speaking of shared universe film project failures, wasn't there a rumor that Green Lantern would've started the DCEU earlier with Angela Basset's Angela Waller serving as a sort of "Nick Fury" for them (The role seems to have switched to Batman/Bruce Wayne in the current DCEU)?
    There were plans for a larger universe, as was reported by the Hollywood Reporter.

Warner Bros. Hires Writers for GREEN LANTERN 2 and THE FLASH (2010)

But once the box office numbers started coming in, all hopes of that initial roadmap disintegrated. And this impacted the animated film too, as there was going to be an immediate follow-up to 'First Flight' (an excellent telling of the Hal Jordan lore). Later on the DCAU at least released 'Emerald Knights'.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    It was bland but it wasn't something insufferable or something that could've affected the universe in a big way. I was sort of interested about that Dracula's future.
    Agreed! Especially when Charles Dance's character observing Vlad in modern times ends the movie with that line, "Let the games begin."

You'll likely see a second one just to test the market, I mean it is Tom Cruise we got a second Jack Reacher