Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 33
  1. #16
    Astonishing Member Phoenixx9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    4,695

    Default

    Wow, thanks again, SuperCrab!

    I appreciate your time for the detailed response.

    I haven't picked up the title, but it sounds new and exciting.

    Before the title came out, I heard different "leaks" like it was Supergirl grown up, the evil Superwoman and even an alternate future Superwoman.

    I wasn't sure Lana Lang was still around in the comics these days.

    From the name Ultrawoman, I didn't know if it was a reversed gender Ultraman or not. And the only other Ultrawoman I know is the dynamic duo of Ultrawoman and Dynagirl!
    Last edited by Phoenixx9; 01-11-2017 at 03:56 PM.

  2. #17
    Astonishing Member Francisco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,084

    Default

    I'm not liking how they in the first issue retconned Lana into being the one who thought Clark how to use his powers and now it turns out most of Lex's inventions are actually Lena's. Feels like trying too hard.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

  3. #18

    Default

    Phil Jimenez is still hoping that adding Lois people will buy Superwoman. But the shell two times in one funnel does not fall.

  4. #19
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Vinyl Mayhem
    Posts
    3,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by _Beautiful_Temptress_ View Post
    Phil Jimenez is still hoping that adding Lois people will buy Superwoman. But the shell two times in one funnel does not fall.
    But you're still reading it, so that's something right?

  5. #20
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Vinyl Mayhem
    Posts
    3,425

    Default

    I liked it a lot, my 3rd favorite issue of the series so far.

    But I am disappointed that there won't be in-depth criticism of the private prison system like I was hoping for.
    Last edited by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever; 01-11-2017 at 05:12 PM.

  6. #21
    Incredible Member SuperCrab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    864

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    I liked it a lot, my 3rd favorite issue of the series so far.

    But I am disappointed that there won't be in-depth criticism of the private prison system like I was hoping for.
    Lana has disappointingly come very close to almost taking an anti-human rights anti-rehabilitation guilty-until-proven-innocent attitude to possible criminals and former criminals in some of the early issues. I am not saying that she is outright taking those stances, I am just saying that she is by implication closer to them than I would like.

    The bright side is that she is new to being a superhero, and experiences she is having and the influence of her peers may lead to a process of evolution in the way she approaches things. For example, she's now seen the Atomic Skull, a felon, at least very temporarily turn over a new leaf and help her power the Metropolis electric grid after Ultrawoman took it down. She hates Lex Luthor and assumes the worst, but perhaps he will pay a key role in resolving this crisis and that will give her pause. Her husband (Or fiance?), Steel, is also much more pro-human rights and pro-rehabilitation pro innocent-until-proven-guilty and such than she is, or at least more balanced, and I assume they talk to each other and will continue to talk and have those type of conversations- Steel did say something once to her about this stuff in one of these issues, if I recall correctly. She's under a lot of stress right now and making certain assumptions based on stuff she hasn't really dealt with directly in the past- when she is less stressed and can calmly evaluate her new experiences, talk them over with people, and integrate them into her worldview; she may do better with this stuff.

    I hope that the comic does deal with that in future issues and develop her character. People do sometimes change as the result of the things they experience. I know when I was young, I had a lot of views that changed when I got out into the world, because when I was young I believed things without having much of a basis for knowing if the underlying assumptions behind them were true. Once I got into the world and experienced things for myself and saw things for myself that were contrary to the assumptions I was making to form some of my views, my views changed.

    Lana is an adult, of course, and has been for a while, but she's never been a superhero before. She has had some limited experience with current, former, and alleged criminals because she was Superman's friend, worked with Steel informally at times, and had work that occasionally put her into the line of fire; but she's mostly a novice to really being the protagonist in these stories. As she gets more experience working more directly and more frequently with and against people who may been or be villains at times, she may grow to respect them more as human beings and understand that some of them have their good points and a capacity for change.

  7. #22
    Astonishing Member vasir12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,492

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    I'm not liking how they in the first issue retconned Lana into being the one who thought Clark how to use his powers and now it turns out most of Lex's inventions are actually Lena's. Feels like trying too hard.
    One. One invention that got him the money he needed. Lex is still a genius and I don't see anything wrong in Clark exploring his powers with his childhood best friend. That's a pretty standard thing, actual. Discover powers? Gotta go to your pal to test what you can do together.

  8. #23
    Astonishing Member vasir12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,492

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    I liked it a lot, my 3rd favorite issue of the series so far.

    But I am disappointed that there won't be in-depth criticism of the private prison system like I was hoping for.
    Maybe that will come at a later arc?

  9. #24
    Astonishing Member Francisco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,084

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    One. One invention that got him the money he needed. Lex is still a genius and I don't see anything wrong in Clark exploring his powers with his childhood best friend. That's a pretty standard thing, actual. Discover powers? Gotta go to your pal to test what you can do together.
    Actually it is shown that she then went on to work for him creating or perfecting most of the technology that made Lexcorp a worldwide corporation. They're pretty much stripping Lex off to prop his sister.
    Last edited by Francisco; 01-12-2017 at 06:27 AM.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

  10. #25
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    Actually it is shown that she then went on to work for him creating or perfecting most of the technology that made Lexcorp a worldwide corporation. They're pretty much stripping Lex off to prop his sister.
    While I liked the issue, I did have a problem with Lex being stripped a bit of his accomplishments.

  11. #26
    Spectacular Member durabill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    Actually it is shown that she then went on to work for him creating or perfecting most of the technology that made Lexcorp a worldwide corporation. They're pretty much stripping Lex off to prop his sister.
    I agree

    Lex should have built Lexcorp from the ground-up by himself.

    Lena being instrumental in perfecting Lex's work creating "Billions" in revenue for Lexcorp lessens Luthor's brilliance and IMO makes him less of a scientific genius.
    I think another plot device could have been used to explain Lena's hatred of her brother.
    Last edited by durabill; 01-12-2017 at 08:00 AM.

  12. #27
    Astonishing Member vasir12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,492

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    Actually it is shown that she then went on to work for him creating or perfecting most of the technology that made Lexcorp a worldwide corporation. They're pretty much stripping Lex off to prop his sister.
    You're just assuming this. You don't know how much he made and how much she made. The point is, he's using it all. Cause he's Lex Luxthor.

  13. #28
    Astonishing Member Francisco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,084

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    You're just assuming this. You don't know how much he made and how much she made. The point is, he's using it all. Cause he's Lex Luxthor.
    It is plainly stated in the pages of the 6th issue. In earlier issues as well when she traps Lex in the cube she also says how he stole everything from her to create his reputation as super genius. They're literally throwing Lex under the bus to prop Lena.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

  14. #29
    Astonishing Member Francisco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,084

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by durabill View Post
    I agree

    Lex should have built Lexcorp from the ground-up by himself.

    Lena being instrumental in perfecting Lex's work creating "Billions" in revenue for Lexcorp lessens Luthor's brilliance and IMO makes him less of a scientific genius.
    I think another plot device could have been used to explain Lena's hatred of her brother.
    Lex experimenting on her without her consent was more than enough to justify her hatred. They are basically retroactively downgrading Lex. All those years it wasn't Lex genius challenging Superman but Lena's.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

  15. #30
    Mighty Member Lokimaru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    Lana has disappointingly come very close to almost taking an anti-human rights anti-rehabilitation guilty-until-proven-innocent attitude to possible criminals and former criminals in some of the early issues. I am not saying that she is outright taking those stances, I am just saying that she is by implication closer to them than I would like.

    The bright side is that she is new to being a superhero, and experiences she is having and the influence of her peers may lead to a process of evolution in the way she approaches things. For example, she's now seen the Atomic Skull, a felon, at least very temporarily turn over a new leaf and help her power the Metropolis electric grid after Ultrawoman took it down. She hates Lex Luthor and assumes the worst, but perhaps he will pay a key role in resolving this crisis and that will give her pause. Her husband (Or fiance?), Steel, is also much more pro-human rights and pro-rehabilitation pro innocent-until-proven-guilty and such than she is, or at least more balanced, and I assume they talk to each other and will continue to talk and have those type of conversations- Steel did say something once to her about this stuff in one of these issues, if I recall correctly. She's under a lot of stress right now and making certain assumptions based on stuff she hasn't really dealt with directly in the past- when she is less stressed and can calmly evaluate her new experiences, talk them over with people, and integrate them into her worldview; she may do better with this stuff.

    I hope that the comic does deal with that in future issues and develop her character. People do sometimes change as the result of the things they experience. I know when I was young, I had a lot of views that changed when I got out into the world, because when I was young I believed things without having much of a basis for knowing if the underlying assumptions behind them were true. Once I got into the world and experienced things for myself and saw things for myself that were contrary to the assumptions I was making to form some of my views, my views changed.

    Lana is an adult, of course, and has been for a while, but she's never been a superhero before. She has had some limited experience with current, former, and alleged criminals because she was Superman's friend, worked with Steel informally at times, and had work that occasionally put her into the line of fire; but she's mostly a novice to really being the protagonist in these stories. As she gets more experience working more directly and more frequently with and against people who may been or be villains at times, she may grow to respect them more as human beings and understand that some of them have their good points and a capacity for change.
    People have opinions, Just because you become a Superhero doesn't change that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •