Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

After many hundreds of years living through and overseeing the many generations of the superhero family he created with his second wife Wonder Woman, they decide that it is time to leave Earth and take to the stars to*chart new territories, knowing their beloved planet is under the protection of not only their lineage but also the many other superheroes who guard it still. Paying final respects to the resting places of all loved ones who have gone, his parents, his first wife Lois, his best friends Jimmy and Bruce Wayne, among others, he goes back to the stars from whence he came at last. Neither Kal-El the First of Krypton nor Princess Diana the First of Themyscira are ever seen again on Earth.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-09-2017 at 09:06 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Yeah Bat 39's sending off of Green Arrow is pretty epic.

I have this image in my head of Superman outliving all of humanity and being really lonely. But then I imagine him flying off somewhere else to begin a different chapter so I suppose that's not really an ending for him, unless the ending can be unknown.

Extraordinary Member

Aquaman - Retires as King, and goes off with Mera to have more kids and live in peace
    Batman - Joker finally dies, as do other villains and with crime decreasing in Gotham, Bruce destroys the Batman legacy and dies peacefully

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Swamp Thing - the Parliament of Trees recognizes Tefe as the natural successor to their ancient order, being the offspring of an Earth Elemental and a human. Swamp Thing and Abigail are given royalty status and move the Amazon. Tefe and Maxine (of Animal-Man) go to live on Paradise Island where, under the guidance of the Olympian Gods, Queen Diana (see below) guides them to become human deities and rebuild the New Guardians. It's revealed that the original New Guardians failed because they weren't the true heirs. Also joining them are Fire, Ice, Windfall, Terra, Halo and Raven.

Aquaman - retires from superheroics and becomes a fulltime ruler of Atlantis with Mera by his side. Garth becomes the new Aquaman.

Wonder Woman - also retires from superheroics and takes her place as queen of the Amazons. Donna Troy finally discovers her true heritage as a magical clone of Diana that was planned to take her place in the world as Wonder Woman so Diana could replace Hippolyta. She had been given various conflicting origins because she had to experience different aspects of humanity in preparation for her role.

Zatanna - dons her father's hat and becomes headmistress of the Zatara School of Wizardry. Gives birth to Constantine's child.

Constantine - becomes trapped in the astral plane due to a failed ritual that is sabotaged by Felix Faust. Frequently haunts the school run by Zatanna. His daughter, Sindella (named after Zatanna's mother) is the only one who can communicate with him freely. Zatanna must travel to the astral realm to visit him.

Superman - he and Lois, with the help of the Lantern Corps, rebuild Krypton on the moon.

Batman - retires from superheroics and becomes mayor of Gotham. He marries Helena Bertinelli and they adopt several orphans.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees the value in a Bruce Wayne and Helena Bertinelli relationship.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NeathBlue View Post
    Barry Allen goes back in time to change history, unfortunately he goes back too far to a time before man existed... Slightly bewildered, he takes a step forward only to hear a crunching sound, he looks down and sees he has trodden on and killed some sort of lizard... Thinking nothing of it he decides he's best travelling back to his own time, which he successfully does.
    However when he gets back he finds no trace of existence of the human race and the land is covered by vegetation and crawling with animal life... He then realises he'd inadvertently set off a change of events that meant the human race never existed...
    Barry Allen then slowly fades out of existence...
    Very Twilight Zone. I LOL'd.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamashtar View Post
    Very Twilight Zone. I LOL'd.
    I actually took inspiration from an old 2000AD story... Think it was one of Tharg's Future Shocks from an annual in the late 1970's

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    Yeah Bat 39's sending off of Green Arrow is pretty epic.

I have this image in my head of Superman outliving all of humanity and being really lonely. But then I imagine him flying off somewhere else to begin a different chapter so I suppose that's not really an ending for him, unless the ending can be unknown.
    In my mind, Superman is the one thing that never ends. At some point, he realizes that the earth no longer needs him. He's finished his Never Ending Battle and humanity is headed towards that bright future Clark first saw when the Legion took a lonely kid to their fantastic future world. All of Clark's friends and family are gone, humanity has grown up, and Clark has nothing holding him to earth.

At this point he's been absorbing solar energy for a century or so, and his powers have evolved to ridiculous levels. So one day, Superman says his goodbyes to the grandchildren of his old allies and the few new friends he's made, and opens a Boom Tube (with his evolved powers) to parts unknown.

Superman is never seen again on earth, but he spends the next thousand years travelling space and time. He visits many of the worlds that will one day form the Federation of Planets or whatever it is the government is called in the 31st century, and he's a legend to all of those races and cultures, some of whom he visited when they were still in a pre-industrial development (because time travel!).

At some point, Clark realizes his powers are evolving again and he's becoming pure energy. With his physical form deteriorating, he visits three young kids in the 31st century who just saved the life of RJ Brande, and shares with them his life, inspiring them to stick together, to not let that one show of heroism be their last, and sets them on a path that will lead them to travel back in time and show a young, lonely teenager what wonders the future holds. After the visit, Clark's body becomes pure light ala All-Star. The essence of Superman simply continues on to his next adventure, in realms and planes beyond mortal keen.

Billions of years later the multiverse is running it's final laps. Orion and Darkseid are waging a final war in heaven as the universes collapse back in on themselves. And as Clark's essence, which has been pure energy for so long he barely remembers what flesh feels like, watches the last light in the universe die out, he is content.

The next multiverse is born from the death of our own, and a new wave of gods emerge to replace those who died on New Genesis and in the pits of Apokolips. But these aren't gods. The age of gods is over. These are archetypes. Science-gods who serve as the architects of reality. And at their head is the Archetype of Tomorrow; a noble, humble being who has faint memories of a life a multiverse away, where he loved a woman named Lois and wore his family's blanket around his neck.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Just off the top of my head...

Batman: Honestly I think the first few minutes of Batman Beyond had it right. Batman goes down fighting. He's older and he's pushed his body farther then mortal limits... but he's still mortal. I don't see him going down against Joker or two-face or darksied... I see him being just a little to slow or a little too overconfident and some generic punk with a gun finishes what happened all those years ago in a gotham alley. His legacy lives on with the robins... but Bruce doesn't get a happy ending. He's too driven to ever really retire even when he knows he should.

Hal Jordan. I kind of like the end of Kingdom Come where he had this orbiting space station and he's on the UN as 'new Oa' (That GL was written as a combo of Alan Scott and Hal Jordan back when Jordan was evil and the bosses were pushing Kyle... not the point.) I see earth as becoming a major galactic hub officially, and Hal being kind of an alien ambassador welcoming any alien visitors and stopping any alien threats. Other GLs may have inherited 2814... but Earth is still his. Almost a Men in Black kind of thing... but with brighter lights.

Superman: I barely see him as Kryptonian. Raised on earth amongst earthlings loved earthlings... I don't see any kind of New Krypton in his future. And I don't see him as immortal. I kind of see a kingdom come thing for him too. When the world doesnt' need a Superman to inspire them anymore... Clark Kent becomes full time. Maybe the editor of Daily Planet... Maybe a farmer in Kansas. Comes out of retirement next Anti-monitor Crisis... but otherwise content and happy with Lois

Tim Drake: I hate the idea of him becoming Batman.... but I think he'd be afraid of what Damian would do to the legacy. So I think he'd become a better Batman. Damian would become... something else. probably some kind of Arkham Knight. Nightwing.... would stay Nightwing. He's pretty comfortable in his Identity. Probably turn the titans into some kind of Batman unlimited with himself at the core. probably married to Babs.

Wonder Woman and Aquaman? They go rule their kingdoms in peace.

Martian Manhunter: Over the years his powers start wane. His world is dead, so with the last of his power... he becomes fully human. He picks what was once a disguise probably detective John Jones... and joins the human race as one of them.

In regards to Tim Drake...I remember when he first started out as Robin, and his plan was to retire and live a normal life after he had done what he needed to do. And I sort of love the cruel irony that the only Gotham vigilante who wanted to retire ended up having to take Bruce's cowl as his own. I like your take on it, and Tim becoming Batman to protect it from Damien.

I see Tim either doing that, or becoming a detective for the GCPD. Maybe even becoming commissioner one day.

Nightwing, I see him becoming a teacher, perhaps headmaster at Gotham Academy. He's always been a leader and he's spent decades now training other, new Titans. Teaching seems like a great way to honor that, play to his strengths as a character, and give his civilian life some consistency and relevance. As a hero, I think Nightwing becomes the leader of the League and is widely regarded as the greatest hero still active after the Trinity retire/die/whatever, and is considered one of the greatest of all time. Eventually, he retires with his wife (I ship Kori but Babs is cool too) and dies of old age, in his bed, surrounded by friends and family. Grayson is the only Gotham hero who I think gets a happy ending.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    In regards to Tim Drake...I remember when he first started out as Robin, and his plan was to retire and live a normal life after he had done what he needed to do. And I sort of love the cruel irony that the only Gotham vigilante who wanted to retire ended up having to take Bruce's cowl as his own. I like your take on it, and Tim becoming Batman to protect it from Damien.

I see Tim either doing that, or becoming a detective for the GCPD. Maybe even becoming commissioner one day.

Nightwing, I see him becoming a teacher, perhaps headmaster at Gotham Academy. He's always been a leader and he's spent decades now training other, new Titans. Teaching seems like a great way to honor that, play to his strengths as a character, and give his civilian life some consistency and relevance. As a hero, I think Nightwing becomes the leader of the League and is widely regarded as the greatest hero still active after the Trinity retire/die/whatever, and is considered one of the greatest of all time. Eventually, he retires with his wife (I ship Kori but Babs is cool too) and dies of old age, in his bed, surrounded by friends and family. Grayson is the only Gotham hero who I think gets a happy ending.
    Yeah, I loved the Tim who was content being Robin and never wanted that promotion... but everything from Teen Titans to Red Robin to Battle of the Cowl all seem to be pushing him that way as a character growth... even if it contradicts early character development... so I could run with it.

I loved when Dick Grayson became a beat cop in Bludhaven to fight crime on both sides of the law. I thought that was great... Not sure I see TIm doing that, but maybe a private investigator. Something more solo. He's always been the Robin a bit more comfortable being on his own having solo missions.

Nightwing I think should become a MAJOR player in the DCU. He has the history, the contacts the skills... He has all the abilities of Batman but the charisma of Superman. I could easily see him taking over as leader of the League.

Quote Originally Posted by greatmetropolitan View Post
    BREAKING NEWS

Reclusive billionaire Bruce Wanye, 102, dead in Park Row street attack.

Mary and Warren McGinnis were taking a short cut through Park Row with their son, Terry, when they were attacked by an armed gang seeking to rob them. Mrs McGinnis (36) said she feared for her life until the family were rescued by Gotham's favourite son turned greatest benefactor, Bruce Wayne.

In astonishing scenes, the McGinnis family say that Mr Wayne fought off all four gang members singled handedly, before collapsing to the ground of a suspected heart attack.

"He was amazing," said Terry, (8). "Mom says we all have a guardian angel. I think he was ours."

"I'm glad someone could be with him when he died", said Mary McGinnis. "He just smiled up at me and reached out for my necklace. Peals. I...I think he liked them. I don't know. I sound silly."

Mr Wayne is survived by his son, Damien, his foster children, Timothy Drake and Jason Todd, and his former ward and closest friend, Richard Grayson. Turn to pages 4, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 for our full obituary for Gotham's beloved protector.
    I like this, its redemption for Bruce to protect some parents as himself and not Batman.

Anyway my Batman ending comes from the Head Canon Ending for Batman thread:

Bruce gets up there in age and takes Kelly as a sidekick. Using a gun to kill Joker and Kelly being caught in the super power batsuit causing her to be trialed as a vigilante causes Bruce to stop being Batman. Meanwhile a group of businessmen (maybe Court of Owls but they don't know Batman's identity) blackballed Bruce into letting them take over Wayne Enterprises with their leader Derek Powers renaming the company. After seeing the Joker kill people on live television, a new gang emerges called The Jokerz. With crime once again rising, the business has been taken over and other vigilantes have been driven out of Gotham by either police or Bruce himself, Damien combines The LoA and the Sinestro Corps into the Assassin Corps (but was captured and put into Arkham Asylum where his ring is put in the back of the Batcave) and Alfred dying at some point, Bruce sits alone in his mansion being bitter. Many years later Bruce adopts Ace, Cassie Kelly has been released from prison and talks to teens and helps them stay out of trouble but tells one teenage delinquent (Terry McGinnis), who saves her from the Jokerz, that sometimes heroes have to cause trouble and introduces him to Bruce Wayne.

Thats my ending of Batman... and beginning of Batman Beyond
    other heroes

Superman: Sacrifices himself to stop a powerful magical weapon from destroying all of humanity. At his funeral, where every hero on Earth and in the Galaxy is in attendance for, James Olson tells the crowd what Superman stood for and how we all can be supermen and superwomen.

Flash (Barry Allen): Gets absorbed by the Speed Force and either becomes a Speedster Spirit or Speedster God

Wonder Woman (Diana): Retires and becomes Headmistress of Amazon Academy, a school for feminists ands for little girls all over the world and maybe universe.

John Constantine: Dies from lung cancer

Aquaman: Eaten by some super villain or some powerful alien
    Last edited by Mutant God; 01-12-2017 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSupernaut View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees the value in a Bruce Wayne and Helena Bertinelli relationship.
    I think they would have a strong connection.
    And it would be a great nod to have her become 'Helena Wayne' by marriage.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

DC one million is the definitive ending for Superman.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I hate the whole idea of an immortal Superman. The best ending I have seen or can even think of is the one he got in the "Thy Kingdom Come" story in JSA. Superman lives the next 1000 years on Earth and in the end we see a very old Clark walking the streets of Metropolis and looking up and seeing the whole Legion flying overhead. Old man Clark just smiles proud of the legacy he inspired.

Last edited by Zero Hunter; 01-13-2017 at 11:06 AM.

Astonishing Member

I like greatmetropolitan's take except that my version has Batman appear again after Bruce's death. It might be Tim or Damien or someone we've yet to meet- but the Batman of Gotham lives on. He becomes a Phantom-like figure with the role being passed down from person to person for centuries with 99% of the world unable to prove conclusively that it isn't the same guy.

I see Barry just slowing down as he ages. He never completely loses his connection to the Speed Force but time takes it's toll. Over the course of a decade he goes from running laps around the Earth between the ticks of a clock to being winded crossing the continent at Mach 1. Not that it really bothers him. Wally (one of them) has taken up the Flash role. Barry and Iris are content to grow old together. And when one day Iris doesn't wake up from her sleep, Barry sets out on a final run that ends back when he was struck by lightning all those years ago his connection to the Speed Force completing it's circuit.

Hal, Guy, John .... all the Lanterns go out in blazes of glory defending civilizations far from home. Their rings simply pass on to new wielders and life goes on.

Arthur dies in bed as King of a united Atlantis which has come during the years of his reign to be a major power in the world.

J'onn is part of the first Terran colony on Mars. After a century there he simply vanishes, though every space explorer for generations after hears tales of the Martian that claim to be his final fate. He is said to have lived a life on Rann where he died defending the planet from Kanjar Zee. He was spotted on Rimbor soon after it was colonized enforcing the local laws as it's first sheriff. Some claim he spent time on Durla before returning to human space under the name Brande in the late 29th Century.

Diana eventually founds a colony of her own comprised of renegade Amazons who are sick of paradise, humans who have embraced her lessons of peace and various cast-offs of societies. For a few centuries the Dia-zon make infrequent contact with our world/universe before they become permanent residents of some other place.

And Superman- he just outright vanishes over time. Maybe he dies. Maybe he goes off as some speculate to be a hero to another world. All that is certain is that his intervention in human society becomes less and less frequent until one day people simply notice he hasn't been seen in ages.