Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Which ANAD/Marvel Now books are actually bad?

The purpose of this thread is to point out the real weak links in the marvel line up and provide possible solutions on how that certain book/s needs to be fixed.Also please state why the book/s is not worth reading

Also please do not bash a book you haven't read

BANNED

Black Panther: Unless you're a newcomer who has no idea of the BP mythos, you won't find much of substance here. Just lots of flashy words and "intellectual" themes, presented in such a way to make the book feel "real" and high-brow. Ultimately, it's nothing but a tasteless parody of the mythos, filled with mouthpieces and a very common story as the backbone of this whole deal. Good for the newbies who wanna be "in", but it's not an a book for the old fans, and in the end, it'll end up doing more harm than good.

Doctor Strange: Awful characerization, bland stories and a "backbone" story that's a direct copy of Aaron's previous title, Thor: God of Thunder. It's gotten a tad better though, and the Bachalo art is enjoyable more often than not, but it's certainly not a good book. Newbies might like the quirky and fun tone, while the "Magic Stark" protagonist will attract them, but it ain't a book for Strange fans. But like I said, it's improved since the first few issues so, eh, dunno.

Steve Rogers: Strangely enough, the idea isn't the problem, it's the execution. Spencer took a very interesting "seed", but his tree ain't got too many fruits. Instead of focuing on telling his story of spies and ancient cults, he's trying to wove in foreign politics, and it comes across as cringy and insulting. He can talk about the US-based problems and happenings as much as he wants, but as someone who hasn't ventured from there, and isn't privy of vital nformation, he should refrain from commenting on the "refugee crisis" because, blunt as it is, he doesn't know ****. And as time goes on, he continues with that more and more.
    Still, I wouldn't call it a "bad" book, 'cause like I said, it's a nifty idea, but he should just tone down the politics, as least the ones which deal with things that he really has no position tackling and commenting on.

EDIT: Silver Surfer: It's just bad Doctor Who fan-fic, nothing more. Gone are the the philosophical traits of the Surfer. Gone is the eerieness and vastness of space. Gone are the metaphysical concepts. This book is nothing more than a backdrop for Slott to write his own version of the "fun, quirky, slightly above average looking American girl" character. It's just... bad...

I'd also offer my opinions on Moon Girl, The Invinvible Bendis Pet and others, but eh, I've stopped caring, really. I still dislike the characters greatly, but eh, whatever, continuity has gone out the window, so I operate with selective headcanons now. GotG I don't even need to mention, because there's no doubt that it's awful.
    Last edited by Darthkostis; 01-08-2017 at 05:34 AM.

Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

My personal choices are:

Practically all the mutant books, always I loved the Mutant Line of Marvel but I donīt know if they are doing it on purpose or what but I canīt say any book able to be stronger, only I see bland and weak storylines, a low level of quality that only make me think about the 90s and how that decade was better than the current one.

Bendis books (Avengers, Iron Man, Guardians of the Galaxy) I donīt see any difference on Nothing happens and how all the characters always acted out of character without any kind of hesitation.

Deadpool, I have never understand the why of his popularity.

Spider-Man under Slott hands, I have nothing to say but maybe itīs time to open the door to someone able to make him great again.

Inhumans, Always I saw and I always will see them as the strong allies of the Fantastic Four and good secondary characters, I hate the way Marvel is forcing them into the first line for the sake of it.

I hear a lot of complaints for the Black Panther Book ,i guess i have to read it myself to find out because i have the first trade

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_1981 View Post
    My personal choices are:

Practically all the mutant books, always I loved the Mutant Line of Marvel but I donīt know if they are doing it on purpose or what but I canīt say any book able to be stronger, only I see bland and weak storylines, a low level of quality that only make me think about the 90s and how that decade was better than the current one.

Bendis books (Avengers, Iron Man, Guardians of the Galaxy) I donīt see any difference on Nothing happens and how all the characters always acted out of character without any kind of hesitation.

Deadpool, I have never understand the why of his popularity.

Spider-Man under Slott hands, I have nothing to say but maybe itīs time to open the door to someone able to make him great again.

Inhumans, Always I saw and I always will see them as the strong allies of the Fantastic Four and good secondary characters, I hate the way Marvel is forcing them into the first line for the sake of it.
    Avengers is by Waid, not Bendis.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    He wants comics great again, not facts.

Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I know but I included even his work on Avengers, under Waid actually, I saw some things a bit weaker than usual (Alex Ross covers are spectacular but I need something more to be interested on the book itself)

Sentinel of Liberty WinterSoldier76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ian0delond View Post
    He wants comics great again, not facts.
    ****drops microphone****

From what I've read:

All the Avengers titles.
    Black Panther
    Spider-Man
    Deadpool (I'm a fan of the character, but the book right now has nothing going on)
    Civil War 2 (didn't even bother finishing it)
    Inhumans
    Iron Man

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Civil War II is bad. But it's the sin of being boring rather than being actively terrible. I found World of Wakanda to be frustratingly bad. It's probably the first book I dropped early (without at least finishing an arc).

Agents of SHIELD is a book that's mildly enjoyable but without there being anything to really interest you. Mosaic is the same way. I wish Mosaic was actually worse so I'd feel better about dropping it or better so I'd enjoy buying it. It's in an odd state where each individual issue is entertaining and then I immediately forget about it.

I only read the Standoff crossover issue of Uncanny Avengers, but I found that painful. I've heard people say that it's a highlight, which gives me concern for the series. Likewise, Howling Commandos was poor.

The ones I'll disagree with are Inhumans. I don't know which book people are referring to because there isn't a current book called Inhumans, but I found Uncanny Inhumans to be great. All-New Inhumans had good arcs with maybe the exception of the second one. Karnak is so difficult to judge because the delays killed it. I also am enjoying the Black Panther run (as a fan of Don McGregor's take on the character, this feels like the closest to Panther's Rage that I've seen). Full warning, it doesn't do action well at all. I also have to disagree with the complaint of "All the Avengers titles." I included what I know of Uncanny Avengers, but Al Ewing's New Avengers has been fun from what I've read so far.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darthkostis View Post
    Black Panther: Unless you're a newcomer who has no idea of the BP mythos, you won't find much of substance here. Just lots of flashy words and "intellectual" themes, presented in such a way to make the book feel "real" and high-brow. Ultimately, it's nothing but a tasteless parody of the mythos, filled with mouthpieces and a very common story as the backbone of this whole deal. Good for the newbies who wanna be "in", but it's not an a book for the old fans, and in the end, it'll end up doing more harm than good.

Doctor Strange: Awful characerization, bland stories and a "backbone" story that's a direct copy of Aaron's previous title, Thor: God of Thunder. It's gotten a tad better though, and the Bachalo art is enjoyable more often than not, but it's certainly not a good book. Newbies might like the quirky and fun tone, while the "Magic Stark" protagonist will attract them, but it ain't a book for Strange fans. But like I said, it's improved since the first few issues so, eh, dunno.

Steve Rogers: Strangely enough, the idea isn't the problem, it's the execution. Spencer took a very interesting "seed", but his tree ain't got too many fruits. Instead of focuing on telling his story of spies and ancient cults, he's trying to wove in foreign politics, and it comes across as cringy and insulting. He can talk about the US-based problems and happenings as much as he wants, but as someone who hasn't ventured from there, and isn't privy of vital nformation, he should refrain from commenting on the "refugee crisis" because, blunt as it is, he doesn't know ****. And as time goes on, he continues with that more and more.
    Still, I wouldn't call it a "bad" book, 'cause like I said, it's a nifty idea, but he should just tone down the politics, as least the ones which deal with things that he really has no position tackling and commenting on.

EDIT: Silver Surfer: It's just bad Doctor Who fan-fic, nothing more. Gone are the the philosophical traits of the Surfer. Gone is the eerieness and vastness of space. Gone are the metaphysical concepts. This book is nothing more than a backdrop for Slott to write his own version of the "fun, quirky, slightly above average looking American girl" character. It's just... bad...

I'd also offer my opinions on Moon Girl, The Invinvible Bendis Pet and others, but eh, I've stopped caring, really. I still dislike the characters greatly, but eh, whatever, continuity has gone out the window, so I operate with selective headcanons now. GotG I don't even need to mention, because there's no doubt that it's awful.
    No to all these titles. As in, "No, they're not bad. At all." Silver Surfer won a freaking Eisner for God's sake. And both Black Panther and Steve Rogers: Captain America justifiably landed on pretty much every "Best Of" list for 2016 comics.

I mean, everyone has their opinion and no one has to like a title regardless of its acclaim or popularity but pointing to these titles does less to present a damning case against Marvel than to simply comment on your own personal taste.

I don't think this thread is going to lead to any constructive criticism, just the usual whining, but in the spirit of pointing out a title that missed the mark, I will say that I thought the new Ghost Rider was a real dud. I liked the previous volume well enough but the launch of the current one was a flop with me. Not enough focus on Robbie and too much space given to other young heroes like Amadeus Cho. I like the idea of teaming Robbie up with these other characters but as Robbie hardly appeared in his own first issue, I think the balance was out of whack.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I don't think this thread is going to lead to any constructive criticism, just the usual whining, but in the spirit of pointing out a title that missed the mark, I will say that I thought the new Ghost Rider was a real dud. I liked the previous volume well enough but the launch of the current one was a flop with me. Not enough focus on Robbie and too much space given to other young heroes like Amadeus Cho. I like the idea of teaming Robbie up with these other characters but as Robbie hardly appeared in his own first issue, I think the balance was out of whack.
    I agree with this. I actually liked the last volume of Ghost Rider (first arc before they got a new artist and were cancelled), so I was eager to read this new one. Unfortunately, the main character feels like a supporting character in his own book, which should not be the case for the first storyline. Maybe in an arc or two after we get settled in.

As for bad Marvel Comics recently, I can't really think of any within the past year. A lot of people like pointing to them, but I would Bendis' work is mostly just mediocre (Guardians of the Galaxy), very disappointing (Iron Man), and have flashes of brilliance but end up being rather forgettable and poor (All-New X-Men). The only books in recent years that I would call legitimately bad for Marvel would be Jonathan Hickman's Avengers & New Avengers runs for multiple reasons and Ultimate FF (though that's an Ultimate Universe title).

BANNED

Black Panther by Coates and Black Panther:World Of Wakanda by Roxanne Gay, are two of the worst books currently being published by Marvel.

Full of false narrative laden personal agendas, both books illustrate just how ignorant both writers are to the rich history that preceded their current driveby against the BP mythos.

I feel the same way about Aaron's butchering of the Dr Strange mythos as well.

BANNED

For me:
    X-men team books are weaker than normal. I didn't enjoy them and because of that i started reading different books.

iMan 42s

Genuinely bad?
    Venom: Space Knight
    A whole lot of nothing going on that doesn't really take advantage of it's setting, characters, and power set. Quirky things happen like a panda alien showing up but it's still a pretty average book that doesn't offer much. It's a shame because this is one of the Spider books that had some of the most promise.

Web Warriors
    You have a group of varied Spider powered people in the same room whom go about super-heroics in spectacularly different ways. They all have different experiences and subtle variations on their powers with cool costumes and an multidimensional vampire that can teleport them anywhere in the multiverse! They fight some Electros and get separated and ultimately have **** all to do for the entire run besides get separated. A lady Doc Ock shows up as well and she is too good for this book. The cast is bloated, the book can't focus, and the Electro's don't offer anything really unique. Web Warriors like Venom didn't do anything with the concepts presented and the book suffers heavily for it.

ANAD Iron man (The Rhodey team-up)

A lot of us give Bendis a lot of **** but his Iron man was pretty good until he had to get involved in the CW2. We got his cool Doctor Doom, a team-up with Doom, tech ninjas, and even the Iron man stuff when Tony talked to Carol at that meeting, as well as that flash back with Rhodey was all great writing. Unfortunately Tony's trip to Japan was not. The art was a big disconnect (and a little inconsistent), Spider-man has no reason to be here besides remind the reader that the Zodiac plot was happening in Amazing Spider-man. And at the end of the day the book just ends. It's a forgettable arc and no one will miss it.

Doctor Strange

I'm including this here because I've seen this story before. A big threat is trying to wipe out all magic (Gods) and our broken and beaten protagonist has to use what little he has to stop the madness (Thor). Aaron didn't copy exactly what he did on Thor but it is noticeable and unfortunately was written better in Thor. The problems with Doctor Strange stem mostly from how ridiculous the premise of the threat is and how much it seems to have only affected Stephen. It's a plot that had no stakes and can't define what magic is in order for me to be afraid at it being destroyed. Doctor Strange has gotten better but it's not great. I wouldn't call it awful but there is something to be desired here.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.