Default What comics do you wish you could read again, for the first time?

I've had the idea for this thread kicking around in my head for a while, so I'm hoping it appeals to some of the rest of you!

As the title says; are there any comic books (whether specific issues, or runs by a writer, or arcs) that you either enjoyed so much, or influenced the way you read comic books, that you wish you could read again, but it would be with fresh eyes - as though you had never read them before?

It's a difficult question I realise. Because of my age (born '77) I was too young for a lot of the really cool stuff that seemed to be exploding in the 1980s.
    In fact, although a very kind older friend had lent and gifted me some comics, I think the first main 616 comic I bought myself was probably something like X-Force #2. Growing up in the UK, unless you went to a proper LCS, you were really at the mercy of what random issues got distributed to newsagents shops.
    I think I saw it in my local newsagent and bought it out of curiosity. So yeah, although looking back the 90s was a bit of an, erm, divisive decade, and many things don't stand up to scrutiny now, I still have a great deal of fondness for the period.

In terms of comics that I'd love to revisit anew however, for me there's a few:

The first is easy; Simon Furman's run on the old Marvel UK Transformers comic. I have to put this, because other than the Dandy or Beano or whatever it was the first comic I bought. It introduced me to the Marvel universe and it introduced me to Death's Head (still my favourite).
    This series really opened up my eyes, and it's safe to say that without it there's a good chance that I might not be loving the medium today!

Death's_head_takes_down_Cyclonus.jpg

The second isn't Marvel, so I'll be brief. I was given a stack of old 2000ad comics. Alan Moore's Halo Jones and Grant Morrison's Zenith both still stack up as two of the most enjoyable comics of all time imo. What great writers can do, without some of the pomposity that comes later. In the case of Zenith it didn't hurt that Steve Yowell's art just drew the eye in every time.

zenith-phase-iii-06.jpg

The third has to be Annihilation. I'd never been a fan of Marvel Cosmic. I couldn't be bothered getting into the history of the Surfer, Warlock, etc. I read Annihilation and all that changed; I ended up spending the next 5 years devouring Marvel Cosmic stories, because a curtain had been swept away from my eyes, and I saw what I was missing!
    I'm a little sad that Marvel seems to have moved away a little from that telling of the cosmic scene, but hopefully things will get better.

nova.jpg

So... hopefully some of you will feel likewise! What was seminal to you? It doesn't have to be a "classic", just something that rocked your world for the better!

Extraordinary Member

Slotts entire SM run. It made me a pure fan of comics, got me through my depression also. I'd come home from school and read all night, trying to catch yp to the issue wher Spock came about. It was December, Christmas, and I was 30 odd issues behind. One fond memory came after doing some sports teaching (as part of my studies) at a local primary. No one was home, so I sat on the sofa in my uniform, plugged my Ipod touch into the charger and read issue after issue.

Astonishing x-men by Joss Whedon.this was my first x-men book i read and its still my fave x-men

Mighty Member

Pak's/Van Lente's Incredible Hercules.

Quote Originally Posted by George Ndebele View Post
    Astonishing x-men by Joss Whedon.this was my first x-men book i read and its still my fave x-men
    I second this one.. It wasn't the first book I read (I back tracked), so I had some knowledge of it already. So for me:

Astonishing X-Men by Whedon
    Uncanny X-Force by Remender (my favorite book that I picked up in trade before switching to collecting issues. I'd love to have read it monthly from the start)

Incredible Member

Runaways
    Exiles
    Classic what if
    Ultimate spider man
    Marvel zombies
    Old man Logan, original story
    Dark Avengers

And those are just some of my marvel ones

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Avengers West Coast

Wonder Man

Alpha Flight
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

New X-Men by Morrison and Immortal Iron Fist.

X-Men by Claremont and Byrne
    Fantastic Four by Byrne
    Avengers by Shooter (1st run)
    Captain America by Stern and Byrne
    Spider-Man by Wein and Ross

Secret Wars by Hickman
    Superior Foes of Spider-Man by Spencer
    Secret Warriors by Hickman

these are some of my favorite comic book series and reading them again for the first time would be awesome

Astonishing xmen. In particular issues 23 (cyclops is fucking brilliant) 24 (I remember feeling genuine despair for kitty) and giant sized

I can't imagine what it was like to pick up Thunderbolts #1 off the newsstand.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Power Pack and New Mutants vol.1

Brubaker & Epting Captain América #1

My favorite first issue, ever.