Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Default Sears to go Bankrupt and end by 2018 ?

The company called Sears Holdings ...or Sears has existed for 131 years and in 2003 bought K-Mart. Creating the 2nd largest retailer in the world. Then as quick as it seemed Sears was becoming a huge force , the ground fell below it. Less than 10 years later , Sears has closed thousands of K-Mart/Sears stores and will close more in 2017.

Analysts predict the company will finally run outta money by 2017 and have to file bankruptcy. As this article states , the reason Sears downfall is happening ...a really insane CEO. Who believes Sears should become like Amazon.

http://www.businessinsider.com/sears...chances-2017-1

Sears going out of business is sad in a way. Its existed since 1886 and its one of those companies that has a strong identification with America.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

They man who took over Sears is a vile, Ayn Rand loving Hedge Fund manager who has driven the company to the ground.

http://www.salon.com/2013/12/10/ayn_...mpire_partner/

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...o-the-troubles
    Last edited by Kirby101; 01-08-2017 at 04:26 PM.

Anytime a company fails, odds are it is usually due to poor management. Very sad, Sears was a store I grew up with.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

This is really sad. Like most everyone here, I grew up with Sears and it seemed like more than a store. It was a part of Americana. When their catalogue came out it used to be a pretty big deal.

The Five Earths Project
    http://www.5earths.info/

Damn, thats my cheap super hero tshirt spot lol
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I feel like Sears has been dying a slow death since at least the late 1980s. To me, the wonder is not that it could die soon, but that it didn't actually die long ago (like its erstwhile rivals Woolworth's and Montgomery Ward).

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I feel like Sears has been dying a slow death since at least the late 1980s. To me, the wonder is not that it could die soon, but that it didn't actually die long ago (like its erstwhile rivals Woolworth's and Montgomery Ward).

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Agreed.

The real shock is that they didn't have to sell the Craftsmen brand until they did.

Past that, think of the Sears you grew up with. How many of the stores they now have to compete with were a serious part of the picture back then?

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    They man who took over Sears is a vile, Ayn Rand loving Hedge Fund manager who has driven the company to the ground.

http://www.salon.com/2013/12/10/ayn_...mpire_partner/

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...o-the-troubles
    And yet, people like this keep getting chances to be CEOs again and again.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Invincible Member

"Put on your Sunday best, kids! We're going to SEARS!!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

My Dad worked for Sears for many years. Not in management or anything like that. Back in the days when local cities did their own ads, he would paste up the ad page for the sales that week and he was in charge of the windows. Then they centralized and all advertising was sent to the Chicago office IIRC. He was on the sales floor after that. But he didn't like the way things were going when he retired back in the late 1980s.

I rarely go to Sears these days. They lack any kind of focus in the stores and I can see why their holiday season was bad. I rarely find anything in the store I want to buy in the ladies dept...they have some kind of labels I'd never heard of. They should focus maybe on appliances and tools but then the market is pretty thick in that area too with Menards, Lowes, and H.H. Gregg all dealing with appliances and so forth. I also fear they won't last much longer and join Montgomery Ward from times gone by. I remember we loved getting the Sears, Wards and Penney's catalogs at Christmas time. Another relic of those bygone days.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    My Dad worked for Sears for many years. Not in management or anything like that. Back in the days when local cities did their own ads, he would paste up the ad page for the sales that week and he was in charge of the windows. Then they centralized and all advertising was sent to the Chicago office IIRC. He was on the sales floor after that. But he didn't like the way things were going when he retired back in the late 1980s.

I rarely go to Sears these days. They lack any kind of focus in the stores and I can see why their holiday season was bad. I rarely find anything in the store I want to buy in the ladies dept...they have some kind of labels I'd never heard of. They should focus maybe on appliances and tools but then the market is pretty thick in that area too with Menards, Lowes, and H.H. Gregg all dealing with appliances and so forth. I also fear they won't last much longer and join Montgomery Ward from times gone by. I remember we loved getting the Sears, Wards and Penney's catalogs at Christmas time. Another relic of those bygone days.
    Same here in that I used to shop for pretty much all my casual clothes and some of my work clothes in Sears, and pretty much every appliance. But, I think it was around the time they started things like the 'Kardhasian Line' of clothes, that's when it went downhill for me.

I no longer could find the clothes I used to buy, even Jeans were hard to find. Everything was aimed at Teenagers and women who look like supermodels. Average women, middle age women, women who just wanted inexpensive practical casual clothes were out of luck.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Same here in that I used to shop for pretty much all my casual clothes and some of my work clothes in Sears, and pretty much every appliance. But, I think it was around the time they started things like the 'Kardhasian Line' of clothes, that's when it went downhill for me.

I no longer could find the clothes I used to buy, even Jeans were hard to find. Everything was aimed at Teenagers and women who look like supermodels. Average women, middle age women, women who just wanted inexpensive practical casual clothes were out of luck.
    I feel the same way. Can't find anything that is suitable. I have to say their children's department in the mall where I live is good. They do have some brand names there I've heard of at least! I've bought some outfits for my nieces and nephews there from time to time. They really need a sharp business mind to right the course of the company but I don't think that's going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I feel the same way. Can't find anything that is suitable. I have to say their children's department in the mall where I live is good. They do have some brand names there I've heard of at least! I've bought some outfits for my nieces and nephews there from time to time. They really need a sharp business mind to right the course of the company but I don't think that's going to happen.
    Sears was never 'designed' to be an 'upscale store'. To stay true to it's roots it's identity, it should have stuck with quality basic clothes for the entire family. From infants to grandma and grandpa. Yeah, all it needed was better management with an eye to what has worked in the past and what continues to work for them.

I guess they'd better break out those last few thousand betamax players from storage and sell 'em.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Honestly I'm surprised stores like Sears/JCPenny/etc have lasted as long as they have.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!