Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Legacy Characters: what makes a good one and what doesn't work?

I have read all the marvel titles that come out weekend for years I got started in comics with Ulitimate Spider-Man. The titles I don't read are the marvel ones tied to their animation shows but I read the others, love them or hate them to stay up to date and so I don't miss out on a story I could really enjoy. I do the same with DC, I like being up to date and informed so to speak and I'm a 100% digital comic reader.

Legacy characters is Marvels new way of introducing new characters or reintroducing "rebranded" characters in the universe. I fully understand the concept since it's much easier to sell a title under a name with history to it instead of taking a chance and introducing a completely new character on their own under a new name. Readers are more likely to try out names they are familiar with.

In your opinion what makes a good legacy character? On the flip side of the coin what doesn't?

These are a few of my opinions but not all since I didn't want to spend forever making this. I'm not going to mention every legacy character because there are so many and that's not because I hate them or don't like them. I just didn't want to spend forever making this.

-Able to hold their own title or mantle even after the character they are a legacy of returns and/or has a solo of their own. This worked for Sam Wilson and miles when they transferred him over to same universe as peter. Same can now be said for Jane now with the new Odinson title

-Merge both heroes into a book and still both able to hold their own and not take away from each other. We are seeing this in Nova and I think it works.

-Does not feel temporary or like a cheap knock off. This is where I feel Nick Fury Jr. Suffered but the new ongoing could redeem him as his own man.

-Filling a long empty Gap. Robbie is my example here as it was a while since we say a ghost rider title, I think it was back in fear itself when we last really saw a Johnny solo! My only complaint for Robbie is I wish his new solo focused more on his character and supporting cast. Wasp can also fit here since we really never got a wasp solo recently but hopefully we see Janet soon in Hope's series as her supporting cast

-Deep connection with character they are legacy of, I'd say Laura from wolverine. It shows them growing out of their shadow and overcoming the void they left in their life

-The Previous iteration of the hero should never have to be sidelined for good or be retired as the only way for the legacy to succeed in their book or sales. What does it really say if this character can only be successful if another goes away. Both characters should be able to stand on their own on their own merits. I understand a transition period such as Sam Wilson as example, but leaving Steve away for good would have been problematic.

-Character development is KEY. Yes Riri is getting character development In her solo but I feel she was rushed for her solo. Again they had to rush because of Civil War so maybe they should have introduced her sooner but it felt very rushed

From my point of view there is no blueprint that will work for every character. You can't just slap on a name and ship the book. What worked for one legacy character can't just be copied and pasted and assumed it will work for another.

Now what is everyone's opinions on what they've liked that worked and didn't. And I hope this can all be constructive and not turn ugly.

As long as that legacy character can stand own his/her own for example Ms Marvel

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I like my legacy heroes having a connection to the character before taking up the mantle. I'm fine with Bucky and Sam Wilson taking up the mantle of Captain America because they were both Cap's partners in different points and are deeply rooted in his mythos. They are outstanding characters on their own and the mantle can only help to boost them. I'm not a fan of Amadeus Hulk but he's been tied to Banner since his debut. I can buy him as a Hulk though I wish he wasn't the main one. I don't take kindly to characters that come out of nowhere like Riri who haven't done jack **** to earn it. Doom has a better claim to being Iron Man than she does.

If the legacy character doesn't have a connection to their predecessor than the title should be free for a while before someone else uses it. We had to wait two years after Carol got promoted before Kamala became Ms. Marvel. It helps that Carol is still active and a legacy herself.

BANNED

What makes a bad legacy character: plucking their younger teenage selves out of the past and forcing them to stay here for no good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by DDM View Post
    What makes a bad legacy character: plucking their younger teenage selves out of the past and forcing them to stay here for no good reason.
    Yeah, the characters themselves might be fine, but the premise is so incredibly cringeworthy.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

I've seen legacy characters for superheroes work despite not having any of those things listed, so I'd say there's no way wrong to do a legacy character other than writing a good story for one.

Astonishing Member

This kinda feels like another excuse to complain about characters one doesn't like. Or is it just me?

Because, it always seems like it starts off like this, with an allegedly innocent premise that never amounts to anything more than the next variation of a character dump thread.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bossace View Post
    My only complaint for Robbie is I wish his new solo focused more on his character and supporting cast.
    His previous solo did just that, which is why his current solo is doing something a bit different.

One of the biggest things about his last solo was that he was generally pretty isolated from the Marvel Universe at large, and the Marvel Universe at large was generally isolated from him. That was a boon to his character at the time since he was completely new and so needed that isolation to best develop Robbie as Robbie (to a point, and he wasn't 100% isolated from the MU, even if the MU was pretty much from him). Now, it's time that Robbie's universe and the MU at large start to intersect, which is one of the prime motivations for this run of Robbie's.

With all that in mind, it makes sense why it's the way you said it is. I glad that's the route Felipe is going with this at this time.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    I've seen legacy characters for superheroes work despite not having any of those things listed, so I'd say there's no way wrong to do a legacy character other than writing a good story for one.
    ^Exactly this

The two biggest ways I feel to be a successful legacy are, aside from just great storytelling.

1: Established partner/sidekick steps into the role (read: Wally West, Dick Grayson, Bucky etc.)
    There will always be blacklash (some more than others), but it's a lot easier to accept than random character off the street that hasn't been established.

2: Filling an empty gap. (Carol Danvers, Kamala Khan)
    Stepping into a role that hasn't been used in awhile or isn't being used currently.

I suppose a third would be dual heroes operating at the same time, this had been more of a DC thing for the longest but we're seeing it more from marvel (Spider-Men, Captain Americas, Novas etc.)
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Hard to answer that.

There are legacy characters that you know are only in that position temporarily, others who can establish themselves by sharing the same name as Kate and Miles and others who bring something totally new and original like Kamala.

I can not say what makes one succeed and the other not, but in the case of Kamala it's more a matter of personality and the fact that she has few things in common with Carol. Her powers, kind of adventures and enemies as well as her personality and social environment are totally different from Carol even though Kamala admire her.This turned out to be positive because it makes her different from Carol deeply making her unique.

In the end it is not about passing a shield or a uniform and a name, but about making the character unique even using a name of an established character.

It doesn't work when they look like kids Trick or Treating.

Quote Originally Posted by DDM View Post
    *sigh* Those are not legacy characters. Same way OML is not a legacy character.

If your going to full on replace the main character for a period of time, I think having the character taking over being established already and having them be a supporting character prior to taking over or at least having connections from earlier(IE: Rhodey, Sam Wilson, Laura Kinney, Jane Foster). I won't say that it works every time, but at least it offers something for long time readers and new readers the same.

On the other hand, if your gonna go for a completely new character with little to no connection to the character there replacing, I think it's important to establish them in parallel with original character and not outright replace from the beginning(IE: Kamala Khan, Kenan Kong, Jessica Cruz/Simon Baz).

None of this is a guaranteed method for success or anything like that, but I think this way it's generally the best for keeping both old and new readers happy.

One possibly the most important thing creating legacy characters: Respect the original.