View Poll Results: Do Awards Change Your Movie Habits?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 18.75%
  • No

26 81.25%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do Awards (Golden Globes, Oscars, ect) Change Your Movie Spending Habits?

Simple question:

Do Awards change your movie spending habits?

Do you see/rent/buy movies because they win or are nominated for an award?

When an actor or actress is nominated or wins an award, are you more likely to see/rent/buy their movies?
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Nope. It is a great thing to acknowledge art & artists achievments, but lets be honest, award shows just exist to help the studios make more $$$.

I go to/buy the movies I like, award or no.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

To be fair if a movie gets oscar hype i might check it out if it might have not otherwise. Like the revenant, had not desire to see it but there was so much oscar hype around it so i checked it out. But that doesnt happen often

Not even a little bit. I barely pay attention to them.

No. I find this whole business of celebrities giving each other awards to be really odd - you're already ludicrously overpaid for your job, why do you need a trophy as well?
    "For ten dollars Jason Statham will f*** an explosion in slow motion while a Slayer song plays in the background." - Patton Oswalt

It does to the extent that it might bring movies to my attention that I hadn't heard of before.

Extraordinary Member

Not even a little. But at the risk of having my head handed to me here, I do think that La La Land deserved every single one of the Golden Globes it won last night (including the one where it's competition was Deadpool).

Honestly I find a lot of the Academy Award winning stuff kinda boring. Which is not to say I'm necessarily in disagreement over the quality of the movie, but my personal tastes of what I find fun don't always line up with what the Academy considers the more artistic cinematic achievements.

BANNED

Depends on the award given how political these things are, I don't give a lot of credence to them. I tend to give the GG more respect over the Oscars and the Emmy's since the GG are given out by reporters as opposed to clique Hollywood types. The award in and of itself is not something that will make me tune into a show or watch a film. Often it's after a show has won a GG that I've discovered it. I do like the BAFTA's though.
    Last edited by Mia; 01-09-2017 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Do Awards change your movie spending habits?

Do you see/rent/buy movies because they win or are nominated for an award?

When an actor or actress is nominated or wins an award, are you more likely to see/rent/buy their movies?
    YES, to all three. I like to watch as many of the Oscar nominated movies as I can, so I can have an informed opinion at the Oscar party I throw every year AND I often find it's a pretty good guide to what were a lot of the good films that year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Quinch View Post
    No. I find this whole business of celebrities giving each other awards to be really odd - you're already ludicrously overpaid for your job, why do you need a trophy as well?
    To be fair most job fields hand each other awards, we just hear about the Oscars more

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    Depends on the award given how political these things are, I don't give a lot of credence to them. I tend to give the GG more respect over the Oscars and the Emmy's since the GG are given out by reporters as opposed to clique Hollywood types. The award in and of itself is not something that will make me tune into a show or watch a film. Often it's after a show has won a GG that I've discovered it. I do like the BAFTA's though.
    I'm the opposite. I care far more what people who KNOW the field think, than those who REVIEW the field. Generally (and it's a general rule) the Oscars nominate who I want, but the BAFTA's give the award to who I want (though in recent years the BAFTA's have lost a lot of their unique flare and bolder views)
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 01-13-2017 at 12:00 PM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Mmm. I don't watch award shows, they don't sit right with me. So these accolades never swayed me one way or the other. Plus it has never been news that hits me prior to watching whatever it is. Only after the fact someone would say so and so won this for this, and even then it wouldn't be a complete surprise because it may be hard to predict what would win an award, but I don't think it's too hard to predict what/who would be considered.

Sort of (voted yes). The Oscars bring my attention to foreign films that I might simply have never heard of before. If I had a passing interest in a film or creator, but didn't see it, I might make more of an effort to check it out if it or a performance within it gets nominated. Depending on whether or not my friends and I are having a betting pool on the results, I might check out more films just so I have a better idea as to what to pick in a particular category. But if I'm completely uninterested, winning the award isn't going to change my mind.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Absolutely not.

I find award shows repugnant. They are the epitome of celebrity and showbiz conceitedness to me. I like what I like and if other people do too then that's good. If not then I simply do not care.

It's not just movies. Critics across the board can pretty much kiss their opinions goodbye. I'll judge things for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    Absolutely not.

I find award shows repugnant. They are the epitome of celebrity and showbiz conceitedness to me. I like what I like and if other people do too then that's good. If not then I simply do not care.

It's not just movies. Critics across the board can pretty much kiss their opinions goodbye. I'll judge things for myself.
    Which is fine, but an informed opinion is never a terrible thing to have available, even if just for a cross-reference (and, to some degree, that is what the awards give us, specifically the Oscars is what I'm thinking of here).
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 01-13-2017 at 04:16 PM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Which is fine, but an informed opinion is never a terrible thing to have available, even if just for a cross-reference (and, to some degree, that is what the awards give us, specifically the Oscars is what I'm thinking of here).
    That's a fair point mate. I've had a couple of hours away from the board actually and, on reflection, my above post sounds a bit grumpier than I'd intended.

I'm glad that others, like yourself, use award ceremonies and critical reviews as a yardstick and I hope they help you discover great new movies etc. I stand by the opinion though that I find them too cliquey and infused with a form of 'cultural snobbery' much of the time. Which puts me off frankly.