Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I think it was the blonde one, though its kinda hard to tell as those scenes had a blue hue to everything. But I think its a little more complex than just everything from that Paradise Island being a lie. But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Jason was created just to be some "alternate" or "Lie" brother. It would be beyond lame and not worth having been introduced in the first place, but I guess its possible.
    Year one is true but the Island that Diana has been visiting was the lie. So it comes into question who made the Island? I mean he is near the tree who has a snake. I mean Hippoltya in year one makes no mention of a son. What if he was kidnapped or she had her mind twist.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 01-09-2017 at 02:01 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I think that is Jason, Rucka said he'd be touching upon it eventually. Like SK said, the concept behind Jason was introduced in the same arc that was building up Rebirth and established that there were "Lies" about the island that Diana needed to decipher. So I doubt the natural birth is being discarded, even if Rucka was against it I'm sure he knows to pick his battles and went with fixing the Amazons as his compromise. I wonder if Jason is also the new version of the Duke and he was taken by Ares (who may be his grandfather if this week's issue preview is literal?) and influenced.

As for the morally ambiguous actions with good intent mentioned here, could that mean Steve's decision to hide Diana under a false identity in an institution wasn't the best one? Or is it applying to Barbara, who the solicits mention as trying to help Diana but whom we know has "struggled with her better angels" in the past?

Can't wait to get read this
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 01-09-2017 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I think that is Jason, Rucka said he'd be touching upon it eventually. Like SK said, the concept behind Jason was introduced in the same arc that was building up Rebirth and established that there were "Lies" about the island that Diana needed to decipher. So I doubt the natural birth is being discarded, even if Rucka was against it I'm sure he knows to pick his battles and went with fixing the Amazons as his compromise. I wonder if Jason is also the new version of the Duke and he was taken by Ares (who may be his grandfather if this week's issue preview is literal?) and influenced.

As for the morally ambiguous actions with good intent mentioned here, could that mean Steve's decision to hide Diana under a false identity in an institution wasn't the best one? Or is it applying to Barbara, who the solicits mention as trying to help Diana but whom we know has "struggled with her better angels" in the past?
    But the lies on the Island was that the Island was fake. So all the things that have happened on the Island were fakes. So the Amazons telling Diana to look fro Jason was on the Island of lies. So it comes to be put in question is Jason real?

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I think it is indeed about Barbara, but refers to other things as well. "The Lies" happened to relate to a lot of things - god of war, fake island and fake mother, Barbara's delusion by Urzkartaga etc. -, so I imagine the same will happen to "The Truth". A lot of secrets coming to surface (Godwatch, true origin, Jason and real responsible for "the lies" just to begin with).

I bet Hippolyta is a central figure to unravel that. SHE LOOKS GUILTY ON THAT PREVIEW IMAGE.

Ok, I must be exagerating, but why would she appear now, when Diana is so far of getting there? Something involving Themyscira will happen right at the beginning of the story.
    Maybe Godwatch will find the path to it, who knows.

Man, people are way more fixated on Jason, a character that hasn't even appeared in anything yet, than I'd ever expected. I guess it's true that everyone loves a mystery!

Me, I couldn't care less whether this guy ever even shows up; if he does, awesome! If he doesn't, we lose absolutely nothing.

What I don't want is for Diana's origin to be catered to him at her own expense. She's the main character here, not him. It's her origin, not his; it should be tailored to her first and to a literal nonexistent character dead last. If Rucka wants the clay origin for Diana, then Jason's just going to have to deal with it and get rewritten around it. If Rucka wants to keep the demigod retcon, then it should be because it fits this Diana better and not because he has to pander and compromise to -- again, I cannot stress or re-stress this enough -- a character that has literally not appeared in a single panel of any book yet.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWilly View Post
    Man, people are way more fixated on Jason, a character that hasn't even appeared in anything yet, than I'd ever expected. I guess it's true that everyone loves a mystery!

Me, I couldn't care less whether this guy ever even shows up; if he does, awesome! If he doesn't, we lose absolutely nothing.

What I don't want is for Diana's origin to be catered to him at her own expense. She's the main character here, not him. It's her origin, not his; it should be tailored to her first and to a literal nonexistent character dead last. If Rucka wants the clay origin for Diana, then Jason's just going to have to deal with it and get rewritten around it. If Rucka wants to keep the demigod retcon, then it should be because it fits this Diana better and not because he has to pander and compromise to -- again, I cannot stress or re-stress this enough -- a character that has literally not appeared in a single panel of any book yet.
    I don't think Jason is the main thing keeping the demigod origin in place. Her being the daughter of Zeus is most likely in place for the DCEU so they'd want to be somewhat consistent, and while the decision was controversial, I feel that many people gradually warmed up to it or were neutral. It was the depiction of the Amazons that was really divisive, and think Rucka would be fine with writing the Zeus origin as long as he got to fix Hippolyta and the rest, which it seems he was able to. I think most WW fans are the same way.

I'm not too worried by Jason overshadowing Diana. Even if he plays a part in this Rebirth storyline, Rucka still spent the majority of the first arc focusing on the relationship between two women. I can't imagine that changing anytime soon, considering "the Lies", his previous WW run and his output in general. I also don't think people are fixated on Jason so much as curious about how this is all gonna reconcile. I'm more neutral on him myself until we get more.

Well, we don't know nearly enough about the upcoming film to say whether they're using the demigod origin or not; for all we know, Jenkins or Snyder or Johns wanted a more classic origin and Rebirth was brought on specifically to bring the comics canon back in line with that. In fact, the one single line from the trailers we have to go off by suggests that Zeus is not her birth father at all.

And besides, even if the film goes with something doesn't mean the comics need to follow it, or vice versa.

The other thing with the Zeus origin that doesn't get brought up a lot is that it makes Donna's and Cassie's relations with Diana all that much more convoluted. Y'know...her actual family, the ones who've been around long before Jason was a twinkle in anyone's eye? I'd rather their origins and status quos get explored and cleared up before we have to deal with Yet Another Secret Brother: Episode IV: The Rebrothering.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWilly View Post
    Well, we don't know nearly enough about the upcoming film to say whether they're using the demigod origin or not; for all we know, Jenkins or Snyder or Johns wanted a more classic origin and Rebirth was brought on specifically to bring the comics canon back in line with that. In fact, the one single line from the trailers we have to go off by suggests that Zeus is not her birth father at all.

And besides, even if the film goes with something doesn't mean the comics need to follow it, or vice versa.

The other thing with the Zeus origin that doesn't get brought up a lot is that it makes Donna's and Cassie's relations with Diana all that much more convoluted. Y'know...her actual family, the ones who've been around long before Jason was a twinkle in anyone's eye? I'd rather their origins and status quos get explored and cleared up before we have to deal with Yet Another Secret Brother: Episode IV: The Rebrothering.
    Diana stated that she has no father. Diana used the clay origin.

Rucka himself stated they were giving fully freedom expected for the costume.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 01-09-2017 at 06:56 PM.

Spectacular Member

A chained man in Themyscira
    Hercules?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Maybe Jason is taking the "child of Zeus and Hippolyta" origin while Diana gets the clay origin back?
    Cool
    I like this idea

Spectacular Member

In jl vs ss #2
    Harley talked about clay origin and Diana said the gods gave her life

So DC now give us back the clay origin?

Spectacular Member

DCEU and comics have no connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Well, it's only a theory, as I said.

But if that's the route Rucka takes? The easiest explanation would be that Hippolyta is simply more progressive-thinking than most Amazons. She simply wanted to be inclusive. Or maybe she thought bringing an innocent male baby onto the island would be a good way to help the Amazons heal from their past traumas. An innocent male baby, untouched by the Patriarchy, and raised among the Amazons would be a great way to show that men can be redeemed.

Or? I'm a big fan of the Amazon's origin from the animated movie. In that origin, you may recall, Hippolyta specifically mentions that the Amazons had men among their ranks, but Ares killed them all. I think that's the best possible way to do away with the notion that the Amazons are a bunch of sexist man-haters: show that the Amazons have ALWAYS had a place in their society for men. They were never supposed to be a single-sex society. They had no men because they LOST their men and had no way of getting new ones before they took up their duties guarding Doom's Doorway.

Go this route, and you can just say that Hippolyta wanted a boy as well as part of an effort to bring males back into Amazon society.
    Not a fan of this. feminist have to proof all the time that they aren't man haters, and nobody needs Amazons to do the same.

enough is enough for me.

And I pretty sure the rule of no men on island is from the Patron Gods

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Not a fan of this. feminist have to proof all the time that they aren't man haters, and nobody needs Amazons to do the same.
    That's because some feminists ARE man-haters who give the rest of them a bad name.

And one story in which the Amazons show that their society was never intended to exclude men is hardly going out of their way to prove that they're not man-haters. It just shows right up front that the Amazons, like many feminists, value equality and inclusivism, rather than exclusionism. That makes it much harder to represent them as the unenlightened thugs we got from the New 52.

And I pretty sure the rule of no men on island is from the Patron Gods
    Maybe in Marston's run. I don't think Perez said anything about that. I know Azz didn't. Rucka hasn't weighed in yet at all. So that's hardly a firm rule these days.

And even if that is the rule? Then that rule pretty much guarantees that the Amazons can't be seen as anything other than exclusionists unless someone eventually convinces the gods to change that rule. The Amazons can't be represented as a superior society if it's literally impossible for the other half of the human race to have any place among them.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--