Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ROM Spaceknight View Post
    The series appears to be set in either the late '60's or '70's, but it's not completely clear; I doubt it's much later than that - i.e., if it were the '80's I think everything would have a completely different "vibe". The hair styles (of the women) on the series are definitely '60's-ish. Also, no one has cell phones & pay phones are still around.
    The guy interviewing David in the emptied pool has a tablet. The camera doesn't dwell on it, but look closely. It's not a file folder, it's definitely a screen of some kind.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    The guy interviewing David in the emptied pool has a tablet. The camera doesn't dwell on it, but look closely. It's not a file folder, it's definitely a screen of some kind.
    I think I posted an image earlier in the thread. Oddly enough, I didn't catch it the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Killercroc357 View Post
    But it is so hard to ignore the cookie crumbs. In rewatching the pilot, I noticed a few things.

1) When David attempts to hang himself, isn't that the 'Mojo-like' creature walking past the door?

2) When the interrogator is questioning David, the thing he is looking down at is a high-speed tablet. But almost like a TV screen, with David's image.

3) When they show the tablet from the side, the letters 'F-R-C' are at the top left-hand corner. Could that be 'Freedom Resistance Candidate' like he is being sized up for Mojo TV casting?

Sorry, but if this isn't Mojo World, the show creators sure dropped plenty of tricky hints to lead someone down the wrong path.
    There's that image.

The show has a 70s vibe but they have advanced tech. I think the time period is intentionally vague like Gotham.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    The show has a 70s vibe but they have advanced tech. I think the time period is intentionally vague like Gotham.
    Very good point!

JKtheMac posted this quote by the showrunner several pages ago:
    When I wrote the script I assumed it was set in present day and in our world, and I think the network assumed that too. Then when it came time to make it I thought about it more as a fable on some level and I realized I wanted to make something subjective. Which is to say this whole show is not the world, it’s David’s experience of the world. He’s piecing his world together from nostalgia and memory and the world becomes that. I found myself watching A Clockwork Orange and Quadrophenia and a lot of ’60s British films. Costume wise Clockwork had a specific look to it that I wanted to play with. I wanted to create a world that had its own rules, and that was about putting you into David’s head and seeing things that are there or aren’t there. You wonder: Who is this guy if everything he’s thought about himself is wrong?
    So the time periods are kind of mixed up because it's all about how David sees things.

See you all tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Yep.

Nice first episode.

Well, if they are trying to make the audience as confused as David must be feeling, they are totally succeeding! I am lost.....or maybe just disinterested? I dont know....that absurd dance number in the first episode made me cringe and squirm in my seat. I will give it a couple more episodes but so far I am not impressed. WAAAAAAAAAAY too weird and quirky for me.
    Some bands I love: Katatonia, Tool, Flaw, Within Temptation, Breaking Benjamin, Evergrey, The Panic Division, Bush, The Birthday Massacre, Silverchair ('94-'01), Poets Of The Fall, Lacuna Coil, Autumn, Klone, A Perfect Circle, Starset, This Misery Garden, Evanescence, Dead Letter Circus, Pallbearer, The Foreshadowing & tons more!

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    JKtheMac posted this quote by the showrunner several pages ago:

So the time periods are kind of mixed up because it's all about how David sees things.
    I knew I was getting A Clockwork Orange vibe from this show. I was not wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by FlawedCoil82 View Post
    Well, if they are trying to make the audience as confused as David must be feeling, they are totally succeeding! I am lost.....or maybe just disinterested? I dont know....that absurd dance number in the first episode made me cringe and squirm in my seat. I will give it a couple more episodes but so far I am not impressed. WAAAAAAAAAAY too weird and quirky for me.
    The second episode is deliberately more confusing than the first one. Though I think this was still a superb episode, I hope the creators don't put confusing plot lines just for the sake of confusing plot lines.

These are very trippy early episodes. But it is wild how they stop his memories for a moment to examine what is taking place. I was getting into some of the more emotional scenes, and then Melanie Bird and Ptonomy show up and stop the scene to ask questions. I think David was seeing his sister captured by Division Three real-time while in the exam room, versus it being a memory.

I liked the Talking Heads 'Road To Nowhere' rendition at the beginning.

Initial thoughts about E2.

Although many reviews suggested this would be more grounded I am not sure that holds true. I guess we had our hands held a little more from one scene to another but it is still deliberately confusing.

Syd: We seem to understand less now. Nearly all of their interactions are when the two are alone, the flashback to her in the car supposedly proves the idea that the bodies themselves are being swapped which is kind of weird. But that suggests the body swap wasn't a deliberate plan by the Summerland crew.

She is referred to by Bird as 'your girlfriend' and she seems to have been through the memory/talking therapy. But why did the first episode suggest she wasn't on the ward? The scene where she tells him she will be leaving her legs were invisible from the camera angle in the bedroom. Her whole character is an enigma but I hesitate to suggest she is one of David's personalities.

I worry she is slowly becoming the typical Manic Pixie Dream Girl, and I really don't want that. I guess she isn't manic, Lenny is that.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 02-16-2017 at 04:51 AM.