Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Default Goomoonryong runs Marvel/DC Gauntlets

It's a quiet day in the library at work so a thread!

Goomoonryong - the Nine Arts Dragon - from The Breaker and The Breaker: New Waves runs a fun little gauntlet of Marvel kung fu dudes and ladies.

All fights are hand to hand. All Bat Clan members get with belt/without belt option in their fights. Current versions for all.

Fights take place in a back alley in downtown Seoul at 3:00 AM. How far does he get?

Goomoonryong only gets access to the Black Origin Threshold if he's facing certain defeat.

DC

1) Robin (Tim Drake)
    2) Robin (Damian Wayne)
    3) Nightwing
    4) Batman
    5) Lady Shiva
    6) Richard Dragon
    7) Constantine Drakon
    8) Cassandra Cain

Marvel

1) Batroc ze Leaper
    2) Captain America (with shield)
    3) Wolverine (Metal bones and regular bones)
    4) Shang Chi
    5) Daredevil
    6) Iron Fist
    7) Fat Cobra

BONUS: Team East Asia

1) Tekken Chinmi (Tekken Chinmi)
    2) Kitano Ken (Sun Ken Rock)
    3) Mitsuomi Masataka (Tenjou Tenge)
    4) Gang Ryong (Veritas)
    5) Han Dae Wi (God of Highschool - pre becoming the Jade Emperor)
    6) Yu Mira (God of Highschool)
    7) Aeon Clock (Air Gear - pre android body)

How far can the Nine Arts Dragon go in each gauntlet?
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 01-10-2017 at 05:59 AM.

Clears DC. Possibly stops at Iron Fist.

It's been a couple of years since I read the series, but I know Nine Arts is a low-level speedster with tons of skill and enough striking power to punch his opponents several stories into the air and project his ki 10+ feet in front of his strikes, exploding concrete along the way. That's way more than street levelers can handle. But can he do enough damage while avoiding even one hit by Danny's signature attack? Beats me.

EDIT: On second though, he clears. Waaaay too fast. When actually pushed, he has entire fights at invisible-to-the-naked-eye superspeed. Then, when he gets serious, he blitzes the guy who was capable of doing that with him... one-handed.

https://postimg.org/gallery/glgvzc7e/
    Last edited by Morning; 01-10-2017 at 09:04 AM.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Yeah, I'm not too sanguine regarding the chances of either group. Dude is just a wee bit too much for this group.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

I disagree, I don't think Goomoonryong is that much faster than Iron Fist, Cobra or Cassandra.

For one thing, those scans you posted aren't sequential and they don't show them actually them having an invisible fight. The initial three are actually Goomoonryong being sent flying by Shioon hitting him. He slams into the pagoda looking thing and it stops him, it's not a product of their movement. Further to that, in the fight multiple people who are much weaker than them are watching and are able to see them coming and move out of the way before getting caught up in things.

Even the second little bit you posted, him blitzing Shioon - while it's faster than normal eyes can see - multiple people present see him do it but also comment on exactly what he did. He only hit him five times in an instant, which is good but not beyond someone like Shang or Shiva.

His strength is an issue, that's true. But I don't think the speed differential is all that high.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta
    For one thing, those scans you posted aren't sequential and they don't show them actually them having an invisible fight.
    The first three are sequential, as are the last three. I just skipped stuff in the middle.

The initial three are actually Goomoonryong being sent flying by Shioon hitting him. He slams into the pagoda looking thing and it stops him, it's not a product of their movement.
    But there's the damage done to the ground intermittently along the way, which is how the series consistently portrays footfalls and shock-waves of traded blows.

https://postimg.org/image/h3hbtegn1/

And in the first scan they don't lead in straight line, indicating at least two trajectory changes that aren't explicable by just the terrain.

Also, keep in mind the context. Earlier in the fight, this guy blitzed Goomoonryong's underlings. These guys are themselves meta-human fighters who stomp all large groups of lesser meta fighters who stomp humans (in typical Shounen power-scaling fashion). When he goes for the last one, who can barely see him coming and knows she can't move in time, Goomoonryong intercepts. Soon after, Goomoonryong lands hits while not taking any himself. So it stands to reason that he's a notch faster than that guy.

https://postimg.org/gallery/2bm0dvdkk/

Even the second little bit you posted, him blitzing Shioon - while it's faster than normal eyes can see - multiple people present see him do it but also comment on exactly what he did. He only hit him five times in an instant, which is good but not beyond someone like Shang or Shiva.
    If that was five blows in a normal instant, I would agree. But this is five blows in an instant already slowed down to freeze a guy who is speeding.

Those aren't normal eyes watching--everyone there is a ki-enhanced martial artist near the upper echelons of their universe. Put it all in scale. The kid, Shi Woon Yi, right? The kid is already, in his normal state, blitzing ki-enchanced martial artists who themselves blitz non-powered groups of people. Now he's in overclock-berserk mode that amps his stats. Yet relative to the 3rd to last page, his full-on charge appears to be completely frozen mid-air. That's how narrow a time frame we're looking at. In that time frame, Goomoonryong hits him five times with only a slight blur of one arm.

People who move so fast that ordinary guys looks frozen to them would themselves look frozen to Goomoonryong.

Note: there's more scans the old master explicitly covering distance while fighting at superspeed just before his fight with Goomoonryong, of Goomoonryong fighting a different master so fast some of the onlookers (low-level murim vary in ki) think they've dissappeared, and Goomoonryong making afterimages so good they fool that master, if you need them.
    Last edited by Morning; 01-10-2017 at 02:25 PM.

I've been flicking through New Waves a bit, your assessment is somewhat correct albeit with the information provided.

Couple of questions to shore up the alogirthm;

First, when did Shioon blitz anyone in his base state? From what I recall of his fights, his main strategy was "eat hits, get up due to his regen and keep on truckin'". I don't recall a full on blitz on much of anyone. Black Origin Threshold does make him a hell of a lot faster, somewhere approaching Elder Kwon's level certainly but that's not radically fast in the grand scheme of things.

Second, how do you square Smiling Sword and that buzzcut guy, who are...

Wait...

Aha, got an instance of Smiling Sword, who is pretty mid tier by the standard of the series, doing **** with like multiple afterimages and hitstun mid air combo ****.

Yeah, I made a stomp.

Sorry chaps. :/

On the plus side, it is a rare opportunity to post Breaker/New Waves feats

Personally, I really like this one:

It's not his best feat or anything like that and they are all worthless mooks, but I always found that page really cool all the same.
    Hazard's Playhouse - Episodic anime reviews and other things. Current Post: Houshin Engi: What was Skipped
    My Fanfiction.Net Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    It's not his best feat or anything like that and they are all worthless mooks, but I always found that page really cool all the same.
    Me too. A fitting Oldboy homage, if my eyes don't deceive me.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I've been flicking through New Waves a bit, your assessment is somewhat correct albeit with the information provided.

Couple of questions to shore up the alogirthm;

First, when did Shioon blitz anyone in his base state? From what I recall of his fights, his main strategy was "eat hits, get up due to his regen and keep on truckin'". I don't recall a full on blitz on much of anyone. Black Origin Threshold does make him a hell of a lot faster, somewhere approaching Elder Kwon's level certainly but that's not radically fast in the grand scheme of things.

Second, how do you square Smiling Sword and that buzzcut guy, who are...

Wait...

Aha, got an instance of Smiling Sword, who is pretty mid tier by the standard of the series, doing **** with like multiple afterimages and hitstun mid air combo ****.

Yeah, I made a stomp.

Sorry chaps. :/
    I figure The Breaker (I've only read 'New Wave') is getting into pretty solid 'mid-tier' martial arts manga stuff. It's not DTG or Ranma level, but it's still ridiculously powerful.

And, I would guess, easy to forget the X blitz-stomps Y who blitz-stomps Z who ruins the day of normals casually stuff. It's a lot of information to hang onto.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate