Spectacular Member

Default I am quiet disappointed that (if) they do not keep the contest in the movie.

As seen in the trailer and image, Diana need to 'steal' the sword (and the costumes as well?).
    which mean it probably don't have the traditional 'WW creation' contest in the movie.

Eh, I honestly don't mind if they change the origin story around a lot.

Heh, maybe the reason why Wonder Woman has been absent for centuries is because the Amazons arrest her at the end of the film.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

My heart is open to that change, you know. Stealing the sword and costume makes her decision to save mankind more appealing, and I wouldn't mind the change if there is more drama involved and more screentime to develop her adventure in our world.

I haven't been paying much attention to press for the movie. Are we not sure if the contest is in or out?

The contest should be included. It's one of the signature (and best) parts of her origin. I know I should try to keep an open mind, but no contest is already a FAIL for me.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

1.) We don't know there won't be a Contest. It wouldn't be the first time Diana won the Contest, was forbidden to go to Man's World anyway by Hippolyta, and stole the sword and suit and ran off anyway.

2.) If Diana has powers that put her significantly above the other Amazons at the time of the Contest (and there's no guarantee that she does, I admit) then the Contest serves no purpose anyway. If Diana so outranks her sisters in power, then she just comes across as a bully, beating people who never had the slightest chance of beating her.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Mighty Member

I think its the one change I care about the least but I do think that it could have be done to enhance the story and have the same effect that her just leaving did if written the way renae de Liz did or something similar

I hope the contest is in there, and Diana wins, but Hippolyte forbids her from going so "Mala" is chosen as Champion. Diana decides that she can't just sit there and not do anything and steals the Weapons and Armor, and is caught by Hippolyte, and then Hippolyte realizing that her daughter is just like her, gives her her blessings.
    Richard Alexander

Fantastic Member

That beach battle takes place before she leaves island and it is quite clear she has superhuman perception. Being able to see Mach 2 bullet in slow motion shows how fast she can perceive things. Contest isn't really important to character anyway.

Incredible Member

I'll be a little disappointed if there is no "contest". But, if Diana openly argues to be allowed to leave Themyscira to help man's world based on information provided by Steve Trevor and she is forbidden by Queen Hippolyta from doing so and then decides to defy her mother / ruler / entire Amazon nation anyway, that can also be pretty powerful.

In addition to that, Diana deciding to abandon Themyscira, potentially forever, because (however naively) she believes she is going the "right" thing is also a pretty strong origin story. Unlike Batman and Superman, she isn't simply reacting to events that happen to her (parents being murdered / homeworld being blown up), but is instead proactively seeking her destiny, even if it comes at a huge personal cost (i.e. never returning to Themyscira). And finally, it appears that obtaining her armour and weapons may constitute some form of "trial" anyway, as I'm sure such magical artefacts aren't left completely unguarded and obtaining them will presumably present a challenge to Diana.

Personally, I'm more disappointed that Diana and Steve appear to leave Themyscira in a boat! That's not exactly exciting and dynamic. And it doesn't even appear to have any Amazonian enhancements - it's just a regular boat. Sure, maybe they didn't want to have the Amazons repair a plane from man's world with "improvements" like invisibility technology / magic, but Diana embarking on a quest to save man's world in something as mundane as a boat isn't particularly dramatic.