Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I knew that any writer could be a better option than Bendis, but Duggan in charge of the Guardians is a great news. His recent work in Uncanny Avengers have proved that he can do a great job with team books and removing the characters that never belonged to the team (Thing, Kitty, Venom and Angela) is a smart move. And in Newsarama, it had been confirmed that they'll return to space. Yay!!!!

I'll miss Valerio Schiti's art, but I like Kuder's work.

Niffleheim

Did anyone like the art in Death of X?
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Quote Originally Posted by DeathGods View Post
    I honestly haven't been as impressed with Kuder's Marvel work compared to when he was on Action Comics.

Great creative team I have no idea what's "all-new" about this, but I'm very happy about Duggan, Kuder and no Thing. I really hope we see Mantis soon.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I honestly haven't been as impressed with Kuder's Marvel work compared to when he was on Action Comics.
    I haven't been impressed either, he will go on the list/montage of artists who destroyed Crystal face in 2016. I never forget those artists but at least with Kuder he wasn't as bad as some.
    Last edited by Tofali; 01-10-2017 at 02:54 PM.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

All-New Member

I lost interest in GotG after the Original Sin arc (wonderful art, but a story that seemed to not understand what happened in The Thanos Imperative), while I really enjoyed what Duggan did with Sam Alexander (the team up with Beta Ray Bill, the annual with Doc Green...). So hearing Duggan is writing Guardians is a positive for me, as I really think he can handle funny AND cosmic.
    I did not like Kuder's art for Death of X (ugly faces), but the sketches shown by Juan678 are not bad. And at least Rocket seems more like an animal and less like a humanoid raccoon.
    Groot being a baby is a bit bothering as an obvious reference to the movie. I like the movies cause they do their own stories, it is a shame the comics try to imitate instead of having their own voices. But I am going to infer the Baby Groot is more of an editorial choice, and that Duggan can still make it work.

All in all, the Guardians could have a nice "rebirth"... but one I won't buy. Newsarama says the series will be released twice a month, so with the new digital program that will already make me abandon quite a few comics, there is no way I will buy a bimonthly series. Like for All-New Bunn X-Men, I will wait for the trade of for digital sales.

Amazing Member

Looks like this is a hard pass, for me. I loved the DnA era guardians, but this property has been completely subsumed by the movies, and the cover to #1 just shows that. More random character development to make the series more like the movies, ignoring all history that came before it. That's what I hated about Bendis' Guardians, and I won't like it any better in a more skilled writer's hands either.

I love everything I read in that article: Back to the core members (with a +1, hope it's Mantis or Cosmo), Nova Corps, Collector v. Grandmaster, back in space....I'm in. Art isn't terrible either, just quirky enough without over doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    Bring back the Nova family!
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Incredible Member

Shi'ar Raptors. Presumably as in "Fraternity of..."

That could be interesting; I thought aspect added a lot to the Darkhawk lore (if it could have been handled better in terms of making it mesh with his continuity from his ongoing series). As I recall, though, the Raptors were persona non-grata in Shi'ar space for a long time (that might have changed with the Imperial Guard one-shot during War of Kings, though; I would have to re-read). Wonder if we'll see Darkhawk in play again. That guy is a wanted man for the murder of Lilandra and I don't think they've ever tied off that dangling thread.

I'm looking forward to this. Duggan is one of the more solid writers in Marvel's reserves, and Kuder's sketches look promising. Pacifist Drax is an idea that could go in some interesting directions. Lil' Groot is a red flag from a corporate synergy standpoint, but there's enough here to give the series a shot.

Looking forward to it, but sick of the constant relaunches. Do not want to see 10 different volumes of every book out there......

Pros:
    -Gerry Duggan
    -Possibility of retcon of Bendis' "Cancerverse Reveal"
    -Amazing art

Cons:
    -Don't see what's "all-new" about it
    -Angela, Sera and Gamora won't have their poly relationship like I hoped
    -Of course Groot "can't grow"
    -I'm pretty sure the Guardians were never meant to be the permanent five

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DeathGods View Post
    Yes. That was the one positive about that series to me. I thought some of the face work was a little questionable but, overall, I really dug the look of DoX.

Congratulations fans of GotG! If you haven't been reading deadpool or Uncann Avengers, you are in for a real treat from Duggan. I'm a little scared that this will mean he is off UA after this which is super sad for me. This does, however, mean that I might pick up this book and have to get a little guardians history lesson. He's such a good writer.