Amazing Member

Question Rebirth continuity: Did Coast City get destroyed or not?

I just finished Lois and Clark's miniseries and it said the multiverse was saved. Then all the pre-Zero Hour characters zip off to different times. Parallax shows up in Telos 5-6 before GL 50. The series follows Clark and Lois raising their son and Clark deciding to stop Hank Henshaw from turning into the Cyborg Superman. Henshaw comes back with new powers anyway, but then the timeline meets up with the modern continuity and...Coast City hasn't been destroyed?

Except everyone in Coast City in the Green Lantern book totally remembers it being destroyed. And Hal going Parallax. And there was even a Spectre image in one of those self-image flashbacks in Venditti's run. Hal still remembered that happening, apparently. (And why not? He dies ALL THE TIME. No wonder he's the Greatest Black Lantern Ever.)

Is everyone walking around in Hypertime bubbles, where Coast City people remember the destruction and rebuilding while new Superman is comfortably happy that he prevented it? Hal thinks everyone is just being really nice about not mentioning anything?

If there are recent non-Green Lantern issues where Hal or this is mentioned, I'd appreciate being directed that way.

Yeah, it was destroyed. Pre-52 or post New-52 Coast City was always destroyed. Continuity is beyond messed up at this point and Convergence really makes my head hurt, but it wouldn't make sense if Coast City wasn't destroyed. Why would Parallax even exist if Coast City was never destroyed, that was the catalyst of everything-Parallax, regardless if it was the original version or the space bug. If CC isn't destroyed, Hal wouldn't become Parallax. My best explanation at this moment is that perhaps in this continuity the Cyborg Superman simply wasn't involved with its destruction and it was just Mongul.
    Last edited by Johnny; 01-10-2017 at 05:16 PM.

BANNED

I'd have to go back and look at the issues you are referring to, but isn't it possible Coast City has been rebuilt?

It was rebuilt when Hal was resurrected.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    My best explanation at this moment is that perhaps in this continuity the Cyborg Superman simply wasn't involved with its destruction and it was just Mongul.
    That's how it happened in my head too. It's the most sensible (and easiest) explanation.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Yes it was still destroyed in current cannon. But as others have said some details were probably different as Cyborg Superman couldn't have been involved this time around. Though Mongul could have. I doubt we will ever get a definitive version of how it happened by current continuity standards even if Hal & Zero Hour Parallax do meet again.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

I think, when all is said and done, Convergence and Lois & Clark won't be the best place to look for these answers anymore. I highly anticipate the L&C history being wiped out, replaced with a more linear, simple history for this continuity and its (one) Superman, probably in Superman Reborn but if not then by the end of Rebirth. And for a lot of things histories will only be definitively known after Rebirth ends. With that said, I highly anticipate the history of Coast City's destruction, Hank Henshaw and Mongul's role, Hal Jordan/Parallax, all that will be canon once more.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-10-2017 at 07:56 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I think, when all is said and done, Convergence and Lois & Clark won't be the best place to look for these answers anymore. I highly anticipate the L&C history being wiped out, replaced with a more linear, simple history for this continuity and its (one) Superman, probably in Superman Reborn but if not then by the end of Rebirth. And for a lot of things histories will only be definitively known after Rebirth ends. With that said, I highly anticipate the history of Coast City's destruction, Hank Henshaw and Mongul's role, Hal Jordan/Parallax, all that will be canon once more.
    Yeah, I only picked up L&C to find out what happened to Parallax. I can live with Henshaw being rewritten, but I'd love to see the new innocent version confronting Hal or Zero Hour Parallax.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

The broad strokes of both Batman & Green Lantern's histories remained relatively intact following the New 52 reboot. Things were obviously altered, but mostly because of the changes in the characters around, most significantly the absence of any relationship with Oliver Queen, Alan Scott or Jade, who were all major parts of Green Lantern history.

No matter what universe it exists in Coast City will always be destroyed.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

I been reading Green lantern new 52 trying to catch up to the rebirth titles and they mention coast city and Jordan fusing with parallax but I dnt think it mention coast city being destroyed it's like they left it out on purpose to keep the story going and so they won't have to explain it

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JcDc View Post
    I been reading Green lantern new 52 trying to catch up to the rebirth titles and they mention coast city and Jordan fusing with parallax but I dnt think it mention coast city being destroyed it's like they left it out on purpose to keep the story going and so they won't have to explain it
    DC left themselves a lot of leeway with the New 52, specifically because they were making **** up as they went along.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES