Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Maybe here's an idea if we are going to have to keep up with the Diana can't get back to Themyscira then she couldn't have rescued Donna and brought her back either. How about we keep the rescued by Rhea and brought to New Olympus. She was then returned to the Amazons where she was raised for a time. When Diana left, Hippolyta was told by an oracle that Donna needed to be returned as well. Hippolyta gives Donna to Hessia to raise. OR...Rhea instead returns Donna straight to Hessia where she is raised and trained to be an Amazon. Hessia tells her all the stories and when Diana appears in the US with Steve, Donna is inspired. As Hessia is one of Diana's Amazonian sisters, she considers Donna one as well.
    This keeps the best aspects of Donna's origins (within the framework of what we have to work with) and gets rid of the crap plus it's fairly simple and uncomplicated (for Donna anyway.) It also keeps Hessia who was a character I actually liked quite a bit.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    So... I almost never write fan fiction per se. But seeing all this churn on Donna Troy, I wrote an origin (a little different from what I posted earlier) that encapsulates what I like about the character, or what I would like about the character, given a chance.

I know some of you have seen it (and commented on it) before, so thanks for that. Rather than put the lengthy text here, I've tossed it up on my blog (which is not very active these days):

Godsend; Or, Who Is Donna Troy?

There's a purpose to most of the elements in the story. I prefer a Donna who was born in Man's World; spent years on Themyscira as Hippolyta's adopted daughter and Diana's loving younger sister; and goes back to Man's World, where she is more connected with ordinary life there than Diana. (Including where she lived, and with whom, when she was a teenager in Man's World.) I would also like to see, in backstory and flashbacks, Donna as Wonder Girl spending at least some time as Wonder Woman's sidekick. All the other O5 Titans had this relationship with their mentors, appearing in their mentors' stories, which gave them a certain visibility and solidity. For Wonder Girl this was only vaguely hinted at, and after her saved-from-a-fire-by-Diana origin was retconned in, they never really fleshed it out with stories about Wonder Woman and Wonder Girl working together in Man's World.

I've included details that make it sensible for her to choose the adult name Dark Star. That's my favorite choice, but the story also supports Dark Angel or Dark Opal. (That's the reason I included a reference to the House of Opal on Gemworld.) I have never liked the name Troia - it has nothing to do with her powers, appearance, or goals, and it's not even a word in English. (All the other O5 Titans got better than that.) Also, the Italians use it to mean "slut."

This version of Donna gets her powers, like Diana, from goddesses of Greek mythology. But instead of being a horizontal group (Artemis, Athena, Aphrodite, Demeter, Hestia - all Olympians and within one generation of each other), they are a vertical group (a primordial goddess, a Titan, an Olympian, and one or two others). I thought that might be an interesting change, and keep a hint of the connection to the Titans of Myth (although admittedly no more than a hint)

I threw in a magic mirror and a house fire, which some may find nostalgic, but they are useful in context.

All (friendly) comments, critiques, and questions welcome.

As ever,
    Doctor Bifrost
    that was amazing. I also like her taking the name Darkstar. I wish DC would move her away from Troia as well and make that happen.

I don't like Darkstar because of how many characters have used it. I first think of Laynia Petrovna(not even a DC character, but popped up in Amalgam) when I hear it. Troia is more unique. In DC, Darkstar is really a group name. There's hundreds or thousands of them, just like the Green Lanterns.

For Donna, I hate the Darkstar name. To me, it does not fit her, never did, never will. I don't think of Donna when I hear that name.

I love Donna with her long dark hair, and a black and silver costume.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    I don't like Darkstar because of how many characters have used it. I first think of Laynia Petrovna(not even a DC character, but popped up in Amalgam) when I hear it. Troia is more unique. In DC, Darkstar is really a group name. There's hundreds or thousands of them, just like the Green Lanterns.
    You gotta have some deep comics intel to think of a dead Russian mutant that wasn’t part of a highlighted franchise. And the Darkstars concept was a 90s concept failure.

There were 2 other Starfires in DC before Kori.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    You gotta have some deep comics intel to think of a dead Russian mutant that wasn’t part of a highlighted franchise. And the Darkstars concept was a 90s concept failure.

There were 2 other Starfires in DC before Kori.
    That's not a good reason to call Donna Darkstar. Especially since she was called Darkstar as part of her association with "a 90s concept failure".

Also... I thought of Laynia because she was the first character I saw use the name, and that was in the Xmen cartoons. Marvel likes using the Winter Guard when they have reason to use a Russian super team... Laynia is a classic member. Every Darkstar on the Winter Guard has either been Laynia or channeled her powers.

Also.... she returned to life after Necrosha.... Apparently the gem that had been used to channel her power was slowly becoming stronger, and when a Dire Wraith tried to use it Laynia's personality overwhelmed them and the Dire Wraith's body was turned into a recreation of Laynia.

As for DC comics though... Lydea Mallor has been a better use of the name Darkstar than Donna.

I hate all these I-know-more-arcane-knowledge arguments people get in on these forums. Laynia wasn’t an X-Man or an Avenger featured in an X-Men or Avengers book for longer than a story arc. Do you understand my point or not?

DC constantly reinvents itself. What’s a Darkstar ten years ago doesn’t need to be a Darkstar now.

I’m not even arguing whether it’s the best name for Donna. Just that adherence to irrelevant old continuity, or minor guest stars in another universe, is hardly worth the time spent reading. There’s a better argument to be made, like her powerset and personality don’t lend themselves to being either “dark” or “star”-like.

I honestly just feel like she should go by Amazon.

Also, this whole mess could've been sorted out if Hippolyta and Derinoe wanted a child together (WW annual) and fashioned a baby out of clay but something happened to the amazons preventing them from completing the ritual (war/invasion etc). Bing Bang Boom Donna would be diana's younger Half sister. If that makes sense.
    Last edited by Rosa Snarks; 02-04-2018 at 11:13 AM.
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    I hate all these I-know-more-arcane-knowledge arguments people get in on these forums. Laynia wasn’t an X-Man or an Avenger featured in an X-Men or Avengers book for longer than a story arc. Do you understand my point or not?
    You had a point? O_o' So what if Koriand'r was the third(or fourth, yes I counted, just because you mentioned it) character to use the name Starfire? How many of the others used it in more than one comic book? 0, so it doesn't really matter.

DC constantly reinvents itself. What’s a Darkstar ten years ago doesn’t need to be a Darkstar now.
    so? re-using names just because you can is dumb. The Darkstar name has been used for several things in DC sure... But... Most of them were the Darkstars. You also have Lydea Mallor(a Talokite), a one-off Superboy villain, a Tangent character, and an Amalgam character. It only makes sense for Donna to use it if she's a Darkstar.

I’m not even arguing whether it’s the best name for Donna. Just that adherence to irrelevant old continuity, or minor guest stars in another universe, is hardly worth the time spent reading. There’s a better argument to be made, like her powerset and personality don’t lend themselves to being either “dark” or “star”-like.
    Donna used the Darkstar name because she was one of them. Having her use it for some other reason feels like a bad idea because it stops being a re-use, and requires the writer to create a new identity with an origin that starts with the name and makes up a reason to use it. Also, I'm pretty sure the Darkstars aren't "irrelevant". They're one of the pseudo-lanterns, and pop up to annoy all sorts of people(so what if most/all of them died? Like lanterns you can always make more). Also Lydea Mallor was seen as recently as 2011, sooo... also not irrelevant.

Also... why would you want to use the name Darkstar for Donna if you choose to ignore the history of the name's use? It was only used for her because she wore the armor.

For her origin, I think it should start with Donna sitting in her study, wearing a smoking jacket, and contemplating how best to fight social injustice.
    Suddenly, a warrior woman from ancient Greek mythology crashes through the window!
    "It's an omen!" Donna shouts out loud! "I shall become . . . an internet bookseller based out of Washington state!"

For the record, the Darkstars recently returned in the Green Lantern books.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Fun and very creative write up on Donna, Doctor Bifrost!
    Thanks for the kind words!
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    that was amazing. I also like her taking the name Darkstar. I wish DC would move her away from Troia as well and make that happen.
    Thank you.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    For Donna, I hate the Darkstar name. To me, it does not fit her, never did, never will. I don't think of Donna when I hear that name.

I love Donna with her long dark hair, and a black and silver costume.
    And, often, an astrological/starfield motif. All combined, that doesn't fit with Dark Star?

For my part, I strongly dislike the name Troia. All the other O5 Titans got adult names that (a) meant something in English, and (b) related to there powers and/or their appearance. Donna gets none of this. It's just a spin-off from her civilian name "Donna Troy" - but, except in the Titans of Myth origin, we don't even know where that name comes from. (And in that version, we know how she gets "Troy," but we don't know how she winds up with "Donna," coincidentally so close to "Diana" - who she hadn't even met when she got or picked the name.)

And Italians use "Troia" to mean "slut."

There are a number of characters in DC and Marvel that have the same name as each other, so I thought "Dark Star" wouldn't be much of a stretch even with Marvel's "Darkstar" (a character I remember well, but who is little-used and little-known). However, now that the Darkstars have been reintroduced in Green Lantern in the current continuity (such as it is), it might be considered unavailable. (Just might, however. Consider the Manhunters created by the Oans, and then the various characters named "Manhunter.")

When I sketched out my version of an origin, I made it easily tweakablle for two other choices:

- Dark Angel. She was once an enemy of Donna's, but went on to have enough mixed and vague origins and purposes that she can't be considered to really have an important place in Donna's history (unless one is very attached to John Byrne's multiple-tragic-lives Martyr Girl story). She was a dimensional counterpart of Donna, so there is a symbolic link. And I don't think we've seen any trace of her since before the start of The New 52 - there's no evidence she exists in the current continuity. So the name is available.

- Dark Opal. A "dark horse" possibility. (But let's never use "Dark Horse"! ) I like the name, I think it can be connected visually to Donna, DC owns it, and I don't think the character exists in the current continuity. (Certainly the most recent versions of Amethyst didn't use anybody with that name.) But I know many other fans would consider it an esoteric choice.

So that's just me.
    Last edited by Doctor Bifrost; 02-04-2018 at 09:51 PM.
    Doctor Bifrost

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Also Lydea Mallor was seen as recently as 2011, sooo... also not irrelevant.
    Was Lydea ever called Darkstar? I know her mother was.

In any case, I don't think that another character, or group of characters, have used the name (or even, are using the name) is an insuperable obstacle to calling Donna "Dark Star." Although I understand that people who considered those other characters to be of great importance might not like it.

It is not the least bit unusual that multiple characters in the DC have the same name - not just characters like the Flashes, but quite distinct characters. Even among the O5 Titans:

- There was an earlier character named Tempest (Joshua Clay of the Doom Patrol).

- I can name six characters other than Dick Grayson who used the name Nightwing who weren't even borrowing the name from Dick. (Superman in Kandor, from whom Dick originally took the name. Van-Zee in Kandor, who took it from Superman. A Kryptonian vigilante from several centuries ago, who the writers created to "explain" Dick's choice after the Kandor story was no longer in continuity. Chris Kent, artificially aged. A Kryptonian lesser deity, who Chris Kent got extra power from. Power Girl, also in Kandor. And Superman used the name again on a fake Krypton created by Brainiac 13, but I won't count him twice.)

- Arsenal was the name of more than one Doom Patrol villain.

Outside the O5 Titans (and just to name two relevant examples), there are a number of Flamebirds attached to some of the various Nightwings.

And there is a whole "organization" of Manhunters created by the Guardians of the Galaxy before they created the Green Lantern Corps. But there are also a number of quite various characters named Manhunter, who generally existed in the same continuity.

Also... why would you want to use the name Darkstar for Donna if you choose to ignore the history of the name's use? It was only used for her because she wore the armor.
    Personally? Because I think it's an attractive name that fits certain versions of her costume (versions I like), and reflects her celestial/deific connections as well. And because she did use it in a previous continuity, so there's a symbolic connection. But of course I'd come up with a completely different in-continuity reason for her choosing it. (And have offered one.)
    Last edited by Doctor Bifrost; 02-04-2018 at 09:46 PM.
    Doctor Bifrost