Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by richalex View Post
    Don't forget the Amazons gave them an Invisible Jet...............
    That... did seem really weird to me to be honest. I mean the plane itself didn't look at all like something Amazons would have designed on their own, and I have a hard time imagining how it even came to exists considering what we have seen of the Amazons so far. I mean, even Rucka's YO Amazons were going 'whoa' at a simple pistol. And the alternative is that the plane came out of Hephaestus' forge... which I dont think is cheap.

That said, I think it's fine if the various Titans add something unique to the teams equipment pool... I'm just sad that Donna's might as well have been built by Wayne Tech.

Incredible Member

I'm glad someone brought up the Byrne origin for Donna!! I always liked that version of her origin. Post - Crisis, it was simple and made sense and was totally workable.

I'm not really sure we need a new origin for Donna yet again, The Byrne origin was direct and simple and would totally work in this Rebirth enviroment.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    It's got nothing to do with any of that.
    Her original origin is that she's a time-displaced younger version of Wonder Woman.

Some writer failed to notice this and gave her an origin and the name Donna Troy.

Then Crisis happened...it was all before the "graphic novel craze" or Hollywood writers.
    Yes, Crisis had plenty to do with it, ..as did comic writers demanding royalties for their work ..and editors looking outside the comic industry, to Hollywood, the United Kingdom and other places, for new talent. Didn't see fit to mention that, did you?

I didn't say the trend began with Donna Troy, ..but, you're mistaken - wa-aay off - if you don't think that 'Titans of Myth' nonsense didn't spring from comic writers moving away from telling small, dynamic, sometimes one-issue comic stories, in favor of making everything a rambling, multi-issue story arc! Dark Knight Returns came out in 1986, and "Who Is Wonder Girl?" came out in 1989; so, what are you talking about? I was a New Teen Titans fan, and I saw, firsthand, how the trend toward graphic novel styles - styles that crested with TDKR - radically changed the Titans comic - not always for the better, either. I saw it, firsthand; so, I beg to differ that the graphic novel trend and subsequent influx of outside-industry talent, in the mid to late 80s, had nothing to do with screwing up Donna Troy's origin for another twenty-something years.

I think it had everything to do with it ..and still does. I'd like to see people writing Donna Troy and Titans stories, who actually LOVE simple, wacky, slam-bang action comic books, so much, ..that they don't favor making them read more like novels or movies. Furthermore, I don't want writers so fixated on Donna's origin that they spend the next twenty-so years explaining how the poor soul, whose cigarette burned down Donna's building ..was a servant of ARES, who ordered the building destroyed to avenge an ancient defeat ..at the hands of Urzkartaga, whose cult built the building to honor a cheetah goddess, ..on an Amazon burial ground, where Queen Antiope was hiding a box of magic biscuits, ..baked by the goddess HESTIA, who, eons ago, infused them with ..the souls of the mythical TITANS...

So on. So forth. I'm so sick of that being the case, with almost anything dealing with Wonder Woman. Seriously...enough.

I would like Donna's origin to be almost, as simple as my 'Wonder Boy' avatar meme - he's 'WONDER BOY, ..Prince of the Amazons!' There he is running next to Wonder Woman, and in his own little, blue costume and red armbands...end of story! Who cares where he's from or how he got there? There he is! What more do you need to know? Why can't Donna's origin be like, "There she is running around on the island, with Amazons, before popping up in America or somewhere else, in a Wonder-costume...end of origin story?!"

End of story. Enough. I don't care where her stupid earrings and golden shoulder-thingies come from. Don't...freaking...ca-aarrre! The end!
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 01-12-2017 at 05:26 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by richalex View Post
    That would be fine if it matched what was going on in her book. What Amazons are there to give her an Invisible Jet? Diana hasn't been back home in over 10 years.

That doesn't mean that whatever is affecting Diana is affecting Donna or perhaps this story takes place after things with Diana are resolved.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    If adopted means 'rescued' from burning, time-lost ship or Greek or Roman temple...sure. I love the idea that Donna was rescued by Wonder Woman or the Amazons and carried off into her magnificent future, as a superhero! I want the simplicity of that gleefully escapist, juvenile fantasy, back.

It's what I would envision for the 'Wonder Boy, Prince of the Amazons' in my logo meme.
    It wouldn't matter to me where she came from, but time-lost vessels is a bit much...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    In Wolfman's Titans of Myth origin, Donna made her debut as Wonder Girl before Diana did as Wonder Woman yet she had the magic lasso, bracelets, and W-symbol on her belt. Please tell me how this is "simple".
    It's never going to be simple if people are going to maintain that Donna's journey began as a toddler or young girl while retaining that the age difference between her and Diana is no more than around 10 years.

What the Titans provide however is the kind of power where this stuff is within their power to change. If they want to lengthen or shorten time, then they can do so, if they want to look into the future, they can do that as well and so on.

Also, if I am not mistaken, Perez's Wonder Woman origins is actually taking place before Donna was born while in publishing chronology you'd be correct because NTT wasn't restarted like the rest of the DCU was by COIE. And yes I am afraid the 'how can that be?' question is going to be answered with 'because comic-logic'.

With all the mix and match happening with the Wonder Origins of late - Diana took elements of Cassie's Zeusborn origin, Donna was tried as a Magical Clay figure brought to life etc.... Let Donna borrow from the tale of Julia Kapatelis, WW's former mentor from the Perez Origin:
    "Julia was thrown overboard into the Ionian Sea. She was resuced by Thetis, who, by Olympian decree, brought all female drowning children to Themyscira."
    http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Julia_Deneiros_(New_Earth)
    ...and instead, struck by the girls resemblance to a young Diana, Hippolyte adopted the child as a younger sister to the Princess.

So we have a straightforward revamp of the saved from deadly accident by WW/Titan/Olympian.
    And moving onward...

Incredible Member

I'm personally glad it seems like they're going with a small variant on her original origin. I think they'll probably reference/keep the Titans of myth involvement by having them be the ones who gave Donna her powers then dropped her off with the Amazons at age 7.

I also did the math of how this timeline would line up Wonder Woman Year One. Assuming Donna's 21, about the same age as Dick, Year One takes place 10 years ago, and Donna was adopted by the Amazons at age 7, that means there should of been an 11 years or so old Donna present on Themyscira during Year One, off screen and unmentioned. I have to wonder if they only decided what to do with Donna's origin right now, because if they known what they were going to do at the start they could of given her some sort of cameo of something. Hopefully they can just give us some flash backs to the early parts of Year One from Donna's point of view( a emotional scene of Diana and Donna saying goodbye to each other would be nice).