Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    The thing is that this story was expected to somehow tie into 'Lies' or at-least connect with it somehow, and we just got too little of that. It just feels like we could have predicted all of this with the first issue and just crossed our fingers Rucka's innovative streak was going to throw us something new by the end. But nothing appears to have happened... whatever has happened in Lies has taken place in another story.

Also, as noted elsewhere, we just had nearly the same story told in Earth One... only it was much less superhero than this was.
    I think it works well with Lies, but since it's Year One (as I said upthread), I'm really glad it's not too tied to that one story. Lies is clearly meant to send us forward on the trajectory that Rucka will take this book for the two year journey (hopefully more), and is rooted in specific things that have happened recently in Diana's history. Year One is meant to be universal. I much prefer it, as I don't like Morrison's dialogue or characterization At All, and I love Rucka's work in both those areas. I also have a preference for Scott's artwork over, well, almost anyone . But you're right that Year One was very standalone - I just think that there's more to it than that, and Lies works even better if you read it with Year One.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

I typically have nothing but praise for Nicola Scott, but in this issue I'm slightly disappointed by what I call Jimenez Syndrome--that is, making Diana and other characters too small in panels where significant action is occurring (specifically the international capital rescue scenes). It lessens the impact. (Ironically this same issue has at least three jaw-dropping splash pages--go figure.)
    Last edited by Largo161; 01-11-2017 at 01:26 PM.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    The conclusion of Year One is finally here aaaaand it pretty much exemplifies why I don't like the direction this run is taking.

Is not because is badly written since Rucka's script is solid. It has some good character moments for all the members of the cast, not only Diana but she still still receives the spotlight as one would expect while presenting an interesting and classic dilemma for her, about how her beliefs clash with how the world works and how the rest of the deities want her to be. Is pretty traditional in that regard.

On the other hand, it might be too traditional for its own good. Particularly in the characterization of Ares who is presented as your typical God who speaks in inhuman ways to showcase his presence. I understand what Rucka was going for here, about making him more bombastic in his narration to justify his status but by doing so, he mostly makes him more predictable and thus, boring. Also, he's defeated in an easy and anticlimactic way.

This reminds me once again why I liked Azzarello's run so much. He gave War a completely new characterization that while still demonstrated perfectly his role as a God, he still made him much more understandable and, ironically, human than ever. Rucka's Ares in comparison is a much blander character.

Scott's art was stunning as usual, no complaints there (Although she drew a panty shot of Diana, hope didn't cause her any trouble).

This is not bad per se, just not exactly what I want for the character. Is too derivative for my tastes.
    Good defense of Chazzarello run...
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

I very much enjoyed Year One as a whole, as a fairly strong and beautiful take on Diana's origin and I thought this was a solid conclusion, but I wish we had gotten a better idea of "The Lies" and how Diana's history/world was changed so much.

I also hope there's more planned for Ares then this.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    An excellent articulation, though I do think it's clear that Ares is hardly defeated for good (they even say that in the comic). It's a resolution to this specific plan of Ares, not to the Ares vs. Diana conflict forever.

I am really curious - I'm seeing a lot of comments about how this is "expected" or "safe" - it's a Year One story - my understanding of Year One is that they're supposed to crystallize, not innovate. Batman Year One may have innovated in terms of tone and direction, but it's still Batman, it's not making up a new backstory for Bruce.

Personally, I've loved this Year One, and hope that DC is smart enough to market this as Wonder Woman Year One in the same way they market Batman Year One, Robin and Batgirl Year One, Green Arrow Year One, etc. I think it has the potential to last, and I think it brings more readers in than Earth One, True Amazon, or (much as I enjoyed it), Legend of Wonder Woman.
    100% agreed about Year One being it's own thing. Wonder Woman has a lack of stories that are part of the cannon AND you can easily recommend to people. As much as I have my issues with the way the story was told, it is the first time in years that her origin (or debut as a superhero) is condensed. That will certainly be my go-to Wondie recommendation for beginners once it's collected in a trade. And, as you said, the story it's universal in a way that The Lies is not, and being standalone is a good thing. Hope God watch has the same quality: Year One is established as the introduction to Wonder Woman; God watch is the introduction to her villains. Rucka is clearly willing to give them some love, and since DC asked him to make a solid base for writers to come that is pretty possible.

As for Ares... I'm not concerned about this being his end or anything, but I wish he were better depicted since this is WW's first and arguably most defining adventure. If he acts silly, people can easily not take him seriosly, and do the same for Wondie by association. That bugs me a tittle, particularly considering DC is known for its great villains.

I don't think it's a doomed book because of that by any means. The focus was Diana and her allies, and great Diana and allies we've got. That's more than enough and certainly more than most writers could offer in a single storyarc.

Oookay I don't understand the comparisons between this and Earth 1 at all; the two are entirely different animals. There's basically no point of comparison at all...plot-wise, character-wise, or elsewise. Might as well say the Richard Donner Superman film was like Zack Snyder's Superman film just because the protagonists kind of look the same to each other and have vaguely similar backstories.

I do agree this issue felt rushed, and that was my biggest worry when I learned issue 14 would be the last chapter of Year One. This whole Ares virus plot should have been its own full arc...maybe not six whole issues, sure, but that sequence of Diana and Steve flying to other countries stopping the viruses should at least have its own full issue.

I liked all of the beats of this issue, if that makes sense. I liked the interaction between her, Steve, and Ares, I loved the two-page splash of her and the patrons taking him down, I wanna print out that sequence of her rejecting the violence and corruption of the Maru virus and tattoo it on my face; one single scene here does more to explore and glorify Diana's true nature than two whole years of that horrid god of war stuff ever did.

But yeah, as I was reading all these "beats," one of the biggest things I was thinking was "This...probably should be a longer scene" because it just felt more like snippets, a Greatest Hits Collection, instead of a bona fide finale. I'd still definitely give Year One, collectively, a solid 5 out of 5. But three out of five seems about right for this specific issue.

This. Was. BEAUTIFUL!!! I sincerely hope they give this an Absolute treatment as I will add it to my library ih-MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDCH-jutch-leeeeee. Nicola was rocking some serious cinematic flair with Ares's entrance and the action sequences. It was WONDERFUL!

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWilly View Post
    Oookay I don't understand the comparisons between this and Earth 1 at all; the two are entirely different animals. There's basically no point of comparison at all...plot-wise, character-wise, or elsewise. Might as well say the Richard Donner Superman film was like Zack Snyder's Superman film just because the protagonists kind of look the same to each other and have vaguely similar backstories. : p

I liked all of the beats of this issue, if that makes sense. I liked the interaction between her, Steve, and Ares, I loved the two-page splash of her and the patrons taking him down, I wanna print out that sequence of her rejecting the violence and corruption of the Maru virus and tattoo it on my face; one single scene here does more to explore and glorify Diana's true nature than two whole years of that horrid god of war stuff ever did. : o

But yeah, as I was reading all these "beats," one of the biggest things I was thinking was "This...probably should be a longer scene" because it just felt more like snippets, a Greatest Hits Collection, instead of a bona fide finale. I'd still definitely give Year One, collectively, a solid 5 out of 5. But three out of five seems about right for this specific issue. ; )
    I think the Earth 1 comparisons are coming because Rucka was originally supposed to write Earth 1, and he left DC largely because Morrison got it instead. Plus, they're coming out incredibly close to each other. But I think you're absolutely correct that they are completely different handlings of the same general material.

I think you're also right that the pacing of the story was a bit off - though I'm not sure exactly how it could have been better, except maybe by compressing the last issue and spreading this one out a bit more. I thought that last issue in Year One was a bit more decompressed than necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    This. Was. BEAUTIFUL!!! I sincerely hope they give this an Absolute treatment as I will add it to my library ih-MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDCH-jutch-leeeeee. Nicola was rocking some serious cinematic flair with Ares's entrance and the action sequences. It was WONDERFUL!
    Oooh, man, if they give it an Absolute, I'll be so torn. On the one hand, I really don't have a hundred bucks to spring for something I've already spent about 20 on - on the other, this was so good!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

I would say the primary problem is that the story clearly feels incomplete. Rather than an independent story, like Earth-1, there isn't a conclusion, or at least one that feels satisfactory because we all know this story directly ties into the 'present' story arc. Essentially, this story can be considered a 'flashback' and like how, on say Arrow you can cut out the flashbacks and edit them together to form a singe narrative, it would never be satisfactory because the flashbacks are intended to provide context for contemporary events.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWilly View Post
    Oookay I don't understand the comparisons between this and Earth 1 at all; the two are entirely different animals. There's basically no point of comparison at all...plot-wise, character-wise, or elsewise. Might as well say the Richard Donner Superman film was like Zack Snyder's Superman film just because the protagonists kind of look the same to each other and have vaguely similar backstories.

I do agree this issue felt rushed, and that was my biggest worry when I learned issue 14 would be the last chapter of Year One. This whole Ares virus plot should have been its own full arc...maybe not six whole issues, sure, but that sequence of Diana and Steve flying to other countries stopping the viruses should at least have its own full issue.

I liked all of the beats of this issue, if that makes sense. I liked the interaction between her, Steve, and Ares, I loved the two-page splash of her and the patrons taking him down, I wanna print out that sequence of her rejecting the violence and corruption of the Maru virus and tattoo it on my face; one single scene here does more to explore and glorify Diana's true nature than two whole years of that horrid god of war stuff ever did.

But yeah, as I was reading all these "beats," one of the biggest things I was thinking was "This...probably should be a longer scene" because it just felt more like snippets, a Greatest Hits Collection, instead of a bona fide finale. I'd still definitely give Year One, collectively, a solid 5 out of 5. But three out of five seems about right for this specific issue.
    Thanks. You basically wrote my review for me. The only thing I would've added is that I have no problem with Ares as scenery-chewing comic book Villian with a capital V.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

BANNED

It appeared to me that one of the reasons why Ares got taken down by the other gods was that he manifested fully in his own right insofar of through a avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Well, it's over, and I kinda feel like it was just a retread of Earth One... only dragged out to the point of it being prettier to look at rather than interesting to read.

And woo for the generic Dark Lord getting pummeled by animals.
    Oh and the shakepherian phrases... please don't, it's bad enough when they make Thor do it and doesn't fit there either.
    all origins are like a retread of earth one, excepts earth one only go for half of year one.

So the issue has some weakness (too much lasso) but it seems to play into the major overarching plot introduced by Rucka: Lies vs Truth
    Kinda of ironic how we are on a post truth age.
    I think year one is too compressed in 6 issues, but it is fine

Fantastic Member

So, as in Gods and Mortals, the lasso is a deus ex machina. Diana defeats Ares by lassoing him, then defeats the Maru virus by lassoing herself. How lucky to have an accessory that basically allows her to overcome any foe or obstacle. I'm sure it's a shark repellant, too.

Added deus ex machina aspect by having Athena tell them where they have to go to contain the virus, as well as Diana just guessing (how?) that the poison in the UN was in the school. I don't understand making the gods so distant and mysterious if they can hand her a cell phone with everything she needs to know. I'd rather have the scheming, self-involved gods of Azzarello and Rucka's first run, and actual mythology, instead of these deus ex machina figures who help without demanding anything in return. There is just no real struggle here. Everything is handed to her.

Additional demerit points for Ares' pompous speech being repeated by Barbara. Talk about decompression.

So, we're basically 15 issues in and what has happened? At this point in Rucka's first run, she had already defeated Veronica Cale, Dr. Psycho, Silver Swan, and Medusa, with all the attendant drama of Hera and Zeus, Vanessa and the death of the jet, Paradise Island falling into the sea, the machinations of Circe and drama with the Amazons-- so far, Rucka's given us a pale imitation of a story already told with some extra frills and doodads, and bad faux-Shakespearian/Harryhausen dialog. A real disappointment.

I loved the Jenny Frison variant. Not a fan of the Nicola Scott one-- Diana's pose is undynamic and weird. And that panel where Steve is holding her face after she defeats the virus is probably one of the ugliest of Diana I've ever seen.

This is not one of the worst Wonder Woman runs, not by a long shot (see Meredith Finch). But it does seem pointless, and a waste of a talented writer's talent.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanT View Post
    So, as in Gods and Mortals, the lasso is a deus ex machina. Diana defeats Ares by lassoing him, then defeats the Maru virus by lassoing herself. How lucky to have an accessory that basically allows her to overcome any foe or obstacle. I'm sure it's a shark repellant, too.

Added deus ex machina aspect by having Athena tell them where they have to go to contain the virus, as well as Diana just guessing (how?) that the poison in the UN was in the school. I don't understand making the gods so distant and mysterious if they can hand her a cell phone with everything she needs to know. I'd rather have the scheming, self-involved gods of Azzarello and Rucka's first run, and actual mythology, instead of these deus ex machina figures who help without demanding anything in return. There is just no real struggle here. Everything is handed to her.

Additional demerit points for Ares' pompous speech being repeated by Barbara. Talk about decompression.

So, we're basically 15 issues in and what has happened? At this point in Rucka's first run, she had already defeated Veronica Cale, Dr. Psycho, Silver Swan, and Medusa, with all the attendant drama of Hera and Zeus, Vanessa and the death of the jet, Paradise Island falling into the sea, the machinations of Circe and drama with the Amazons-- so far, Rucka's given us a pale imitation of a story already told with some extra frills and doodads, and bad faux-Shakespearian/Harryhausen dialog. A real disappointment.

I loved the Jenny Frison variant. Not a fan of the Nicola Scott one-- Diana's pose is undynamic and weird. And that panel where Steve is holding her face after she defeats the virus is probably one of the ugliest of Diana I've ever seen.

This is not one of the worst Wonder Woman runs, not by a long shot (see Meredith Finch). But it does seem pointless, and a waste of a talented writer's talent.
    Not to mention it doesn't jive with the New52 as a whole. Hell they can't even keep Trevor's (Who I will now only read in The voice of Matt Maconaughey) rank and branch of Military straight since JL vs SS says he's Army yet this has him Navy. They're not the same thing .

Steve Trevor should be Air Force.