The conclusion of Year One is finally here aaaaand it pretty much exemplifies why I don't like the direction this run is taking.

Is not because is badly written since Rucka's script is solid. It has some good character moments for all the members of the cast, not only Diana but she still still receives the spotlight as one would expect while presenting an interesting and classic dilemma for her, about how her beliefs clash with how the world works and how the rest of the deities want her to be. Is pretty traditional in that regard.

On the other hand, it might be too traditional for its own good. Particularly in the characterization of Ares who is presented as your typical God who speaks in inhuman ways to showcase his presence. I understand what Rucka was going for here, about making him more bombastic in his narration to justify his status but by doing so, he mostly makes him more predictable and thus, boring. Also, he's defeated in an easy and anticlimactic way.

This reminds me once again why I liked Azzarello's run so much. He gave War a completely new characterization that while still demonstrated perfectly his role as a God, he still made him much more understandable and, ironically, human than ever. Rucka's Ares in comparison is a much blander character.

Scott's art was stunning as usual, no complaints there (Although she drew a panty shot of Diana, hope didn't cause her any trouble).

This is not bad per se, just not exactly what I want for the character. Is too derivative for my tastes.