Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LoveStar View Post
    Characters can be shirtless but do it when it's necessary not because the character needs attention.
    Why was it necessary for the First Born to be shirtless?
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoveStar View Post
    That's not a double standard at all when Strife IS the goddess of discord, dark chaos, etc...as well as in mythology said to be the daughter of Nyx the goddess of night

I meant that Strife was dressed like a hooker.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    That's exactly it. Why would the First Born wear pants and a cloak but NOT a shirt? It makes no sense at all. He should have been totally naked like you said given that he was raised by hyenas.
    Likely because it was a trophy more than essential gear to him... like he actually did kill that dragon in full commando.

As for not armoring his chest... I kinda think he is going by the same logic that Batman is with his symbol... they both wanted their opponents to focus their efforts on the most heavily armored parts of their bodies. Ofc the FB wasn't armored at all there, but it is worth remembering the human ribcage is there to act as natural protection for our heart and lungs.
    Also there is the purely symbolic aspect of him wearing it like that: Because Hercules is often depicted in a similar fashion with the lion cloak as the only protection for his upper body. And its just a case of one-upmanship that has the FB use a dragon-cloak instead of a lion.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Likely because it was a trophy more than essential gear to him... like he actually did kill that dragon in full commando.

As for not armoring his chest... I kinda think he is going by the same logic that Batman is with his symbol... they both wanted their opponents to focus their efforts on the most heavily armored parts of their bodies. Ofc the FB wasn't armored at all there, but it is worth remembering the human ribcage is there to act as natural protection for our heart and lungs.
    Also there is the purely symbolic aspect of him wearing it like that: Because Hercules is often depicted in a similar fashion with the lion cloak as the only protection for his upper body. And its just a case of one-upmanship that has the FB use a dragon-cloak instead of a lion.
    It still doesn't make sense for him to leave his chest bare.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    He is basically an angrier Conan the Barbarian. It's a trope.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Ideally, the majority of WW's villains would be gender tropes with too much political power for their environment.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    It still doesn't make sense for him to leave his chest bare.
    Depends what 'sense' includes in the FB's head. In our heads he should ofc protect that bit, in his however it may be something else thats at play... like bravado; that he doesn't think anyone can really hurt him anyways, or perhaps he just doesn't like not being exposed to the elements.

So... we got a date for the Year One trade. May 3 it is

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    Just shirtless? I thought the bloke was straight up nude and.... Skinless at one point?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Javier Velasco View Post
    The idea that in a title called Wonder Woman that the male lead is always losing his shirt is funny. Note, GalaxyQuest and the line about always losing his shirt.
    If the artists are good, then it is also attractive.

Regarding the character's motivation for not wearing a shirt... Steve is currently being drawn as a bodybuilder. He is certainly not being drawn with a natural musculature. And the truth is that lots of bodybuilders like to go shirtless when they can because it is more comfortable for them (and they are exhibitionists). One of my past flings had a habit of being shirtless at any opportunity. Have you ever seen the old tv show Cheyenne with Clint Walker? Not a show went by without that cowboy takng off his shirt. And we won't even mention Robert Conrad on The Wild Wild West.

The thing is that it is very easy to sexualize a female character in a comic in the eyes of a readership. Twisty poses. Large breasts. Curvy rear. Even as she is fully dressed. It is much harder to do the same thing to a male character. Note Tarzan and the Martian Manhunter. The fact that Scott has done so by simply removing Steve's shirt IS probably exactly the dialogue the creative team wished to create.
    Good points.

Quote Originally Posted by Joao View Post
    I want an ABSOLUTE edition! PLEEEEEAASSSSSSE!!!!!

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

But it says it is only 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10. Which includes the inessential Cheetah backstory, and excludes the last two issues. I hope that solicit is wrong. Wonder Woman Year One should be sold like Batman and Green Arrow and Batgirl/Robin Year One - as a complete story, a jumping on point for new readers. Splitting it in bits and adding the Cheetah backstory is just...pointless.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    But it says it is only 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10. Which includes the inessential Cheetah backstory, and excludes the last two issues. I hope that solicit is wrong. Wonder Woman Year One should be sold like Batman and Green Arrow and Batgirl/Robin Year One - as a complete story, a jumping on point for new readers. Splitting it in bits and adding the Cheetah backstory is just...pointless.
    I checked amazon and it says #2, #4, #6, #8, #10, #12, #14. I HOPE IT THEY'RE RIGHT.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I checked amazon and it says #2, #4, #6, #8, #10, #12, #14. I HOPE IT THEY'RE RIGHT.
    I hope they cut out the Cheetah issue. That mars an otherwise excellent 6-part arc.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I hope they cut out the Cheetah issue. That mars an otherwise excellent 6-part arc.
    Oh, I like the Barbara issue so much! Probably building up to her transformation later on the run, so I think it's important to be there. I just wish they put it as the last issue so it doesn't get on the way of the main story.