Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Always Rakzo

Default Wonder Woman #14 Discussion/Spoilers

The conclusion of Year One is finally here aaaaand it pretty much exemplifies why I don't like the direction this run is taking.

Is not because is badly written since Rucka's script is solid. It has some good character moments for all the members of the cast, not only Diana but she still still receives the spotlight as one would expect while presenting an interesting and classic dilemma for her, about how her beliefs clash with how the world works and how the rest of the deities want her to be. Is pretty traditional in that regard.

On the other hand, it might be too traditional for its own good. Particularly in the characterization of Ares who is presented as your typical God who speaks in inhuman ways to showcase his presence. I understand what Rucka was going for here, about making him more bombastic in his narration to justify his status but by doing so, he mostly makes him more predictable and thus, boring. Also, he's defeated in an easy and anticlimactic way.

This reminds me once again why I liked Azzarello's run so much. He gave War a completely new characterization that while still demonstrated perfectly his role as a God, he still made him much more understandable and, ironically, human than ever. Rucka's Ares in comparison is a much blander character.

Scott's art was stunning as usual, no complaints there (Although she drew a panty shot of Diana, hope didn't cause her any trouble).

This is not bad per se, just not exactly what I want for the character. Is too derivative for my tastes.

Fantastic Member

14 issues in and we don't know what's going on. This ended just like "Lies" arc where we learned nothing. All other rebirth titles are on 3rd or 4th story but Wonder Woman is moving at snails pace. This should have been a weekly.

In some panels her head looks bloated.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I really like the way Diana works to defeat Ares, and then defeats his plan even after being exposed to the weapon. The way the thematic elements of truth, lies, poison, and wonder were worked in really made this solid stuff.

I'm a bit confused about Etta and Barbara Ann's relationship - Etta doesn't seem to indicate in The Lies that she was a previous lover, though it could just be something that didn't come up.

Ah, well, though it felt s bit abrupt at the end, this was a solid, classic origin story that got those elements that Rucka's always wanted in - the loss of her home, the focus on Diana's approach to conflict, and showcases his new approach to the gods (I like the way he calls them "patrons") in a brilliant way.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Sooooo Year One is really "Week One"? LOL I'd rather they said Year One is really a 12 issue event for Diana, because clearly nothing has happened that major within the week she's been running around.
    Richard Alexander

BANNED

Well, it's over, and I kinda feel like it was just a retread of Earth One... only dragged out to the point of it being prettier to look at rather than interesting to read.

And woo for the generic Dark Lord getting pummeled by animals.
    Oh and the shakepherian phrases... please don't, it's bad enough when they make Thor do it and doesn't fit there either.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post

Oh and the shakepherian phrases... please don't, it's bad enough when they make Thor do it and doesn't fit there either.

I almost busted out laughing after reading Area's try to give his best Hamlet impression. His Shakespearean way of talking is ridiculous IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Well, it's over, and I kinda feel like it was just a retread of Earth One... only dragged out to the point of it being prettier to look at rather than interesting to read.

And woo for the generic Dark Lord getting pummeled by animals.
    all origins are like a retread of earth one, excepts earth one only go for half of year one.

So the issue has some weakness (too much lasso) but it seems to play into the major overarching plot introduced by Rucka: Lies vs Truth
    Kinda of ironic how we are on a post truth age.
    I think year one is too compressed in 6 issues, but it is fine

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    The conclusion of Year One is finally here aaaaand it pretty much exemplifies why I don't like the direction this run is taking.

Is not because is badly written since Rucka's script is solid. It has some good character moments for all the members of the cast, not only Diana but she still still receives the spotlight as one would expect while presenting an interesting and classic dilemma for her, about how her beliefs clash with how the world works and how the rest of the deities want her to be. Is pretty traditional in that regard.

On the other hand, it might be too traditional for its own good. Particularly in the characterization of Ares who is presented as your typical God who speaks in inhuman ways to showcase his presence. I understand what Rucka was going for here, about making him more bombastic in his narration to justify his status but by doing so, he mostly makes him more predictable and thus, boring. Also, he's defeated in an easy and anticlimactic way.

This reminds me once again why I liked Azzarello's run so much. He gave War a completely new characterization that while still demonstrated perfectly his role as a God, he still made him much more understandable and, ironically, human than ever. Rucka's Ares in comparison is a much blander character.

Scott's art was stunning as usual, no complaints there (Although she drew a panty shot of Diana, hope didn't cause her any trouble).

This is not bad per se, just not exactly what I want for the character. Is too derivative for my tastes.
    Good defense of Chazzarello run...
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

I very much enjoyed Year One as a whole, as a fairly strong and beautiful take on Diana's origin and I thought this was a solid conclusion, but I wish we had gotten a better idea of "The Lies" and how Diana's history/world was changed so much.

I also hope there's more planned for Ares then this.