Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LordTrump View Post
    The pacing of this has been awful. Ares shows up for 5 seconds and y'all are like "yeah, waaaaaay better than azzarrello!!!" Her using the lasso on him is supposed to last ditch after her physical fighting is squandered and she realizes she can't beat him physically. It's both why it's weird to have him in injustice as well as make this fight so awful. Ares here couldn't beat Ambush Bug.
    Oh how the Gods (and WW herself) are depowered in INJUSTICE. Isn't that the one where she is knocked out for six months (or was it a Year?) after a nuclear explosion?

BANNED

What's up with the Gods, did Circe do this to them? Never understood why they need to send an Amazon to handle Ares, can't they just go down there and take care of it themselves?

I really just don't care for this comic and the characters within, it's stodgy, boring, this run is where fun goes to die
    Last edited by username_; 01-12-2017 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by username_ View Post
    What's up with the Gods, did Circe do this to them? Never understood why they need to send an Amazon to handle Ares, can't they just go down there and take care of it themselves?

I really just don't care for this comic and the characters within, it's stodgy, boring, this run is where fun goes to die
    Gods has always been cowards when it comes to certain things or that it's part of a bigger plan..

Well...it's an issue where followers of war personified are attempting chemical terrorism in assemblies and schools. I'm okay with it not being a jolly fun romp for twenty-two pages.

I thought Steve's reaction to the gods was pretty funny, anyway. I mean, Diana basically defeats Ares with the help of forest animals! (And see, here are the gods helping her "take care of it") You don't get much more quirky than that.

In any case, one of the general rules of WW through the years is that Ares has become more powerful than the other gods due to the widespread presence of war and brutality in the world; that's why Diana even has to leave her home to come deal with it, after all. This was the case even back -- maybe especially -- during the 40s.

What I liked was Diana's repudiation of that, of her revelation that war and brutality are fundamentally untrue...not just for herself but for the rest of the world as well. It was just a flat-out feel-good, optimistic response to Ares' doctrine and a great testament to the core of Diana's mission and character. "This world already belongs to me!" "Then from you...we will take it back."

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordTrump View Post
    The pacing of this has been awful. Ares shows up for 5 seconds and y'all are like "yeah, waaaaaay better than azzarrello!!!"

Maybe that's because Rucka's Ares actually looked and acted like the iconic version of Ares instead of a Frank Gallagher(Shameless) clone.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

I like the look of both Ares'. But if we're talking characterization, Azz's blows this away. If there was a way to get a curmudgeonly old man vibe off Ares with this current look? That'd be sweet. The Shakespearean performances though is lame.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I like the look of both Ares'. But if we're talking characterization, Azz's blows this away. If there was a way to get a curmudgeonly old man vibe off Ares with this current look? That'd be sweet. The Shakespearean performances though is lame.
    Wait, seriously?

Yup. Looks awesome, have always loved that armor, but didn't like the voice Rucka gives him as much.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-12-2017 at 08:01 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Sounds like a total drag.
    Last edited by numberthirty; 01-12-2017 at 08:48 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Yup. Looks awesome, have always loved that armor, but didn't like the voice Rucka gives him as much.
    Yeah, the megalomania rubs me the wrong way. If Ares is to be Diana's #1 foe, he has to be capable of a wider range. And be subtle. Even the Joker is capable of that.

Decent story but the overall pacing of this series is horrible. Rucka drags it out for months and then has to seemingly finish it up in a hurry. Ares is wrapped up in the lasso and he's instantly defeated?!? At least he looked cool. So Wonder Woman destroyed the toxic gas...because it wasn't true? Also weren't there attacks about to happen at several other locations? Just because they evacuated those people doesn't mean the terrorists still could release the poison into the air.

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    Yeah, the megalomania rubs me the wrong way. If Ares is to be Diana's #1 foe, he has to be capable of a wider range. And be subtle. Even the Joker is capable of that.
    I would say the issue here is the lack of page time, he had maybe half the pages of a single comic including his reveal at the end of the last book. Compare and contrast this to the original Perez reboot and you can see who is more developed as a character.

We all knew Aries was going to be the big bad, so why hide him till the very end?
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Decent story but the overall pacing of this series is horrible. Rucka drags it out for months and then has to seemingly finish it up in a hurry. Ares is wrapped up in the lasso and he's instantly defeated?!? At least he looked cool. So Wonder Woman destroyed the toxic gas...because it wasn't true? Also weren't there attacks about to happen at several other locations? Just because they evacuated those people doesn't mean the terrorists still could release the poison into the air.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rig View Post
    14 issues in and we don't know what's going on. This ended just like "Lies" arc where we learned nothing. All other rebirth titles are on 3rd or 4th story but Wonder Woman is moving at snails pace. This should have been a weekly.

In some panels her head looks bloated.
    Yeah this is really how I'm starting to feel about Rucka's run. It's so drawn out and we still have so few answers.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Yeah this is really how I'm starting to feel about Rucka's run. It's so drawn out and we still have so few answers.
    Based on what I have read, it's not so much that it's been short on answers.

It's more that the questions are rather dull.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I think it works well with Lies, but since it's Year One (as I said upthread), I'm really glad it's not too tied to that one story. Lies is clearly meant to send us forward on the trajectory that Rucka will take this book for the two year journey (hopefully more), and is rooted in specific things that have happened recently in Diana's history. Year One is meant to be universal. I much prefer it, as I don't like Morrison's dialogue or characterization At All, and I love Rucka's work in both those areas. I also have a preference for Scott's artwork over, well, almost anyone . But you're right that Year One was very standalone - I just think that there's more to it than that, and Lies works even better if you read it with Year One.
    Well, I am just concerned that what Rucka is doing right now is actually a mystery story and we are all waiting to find out just what the devil happened to Diana in the present. But he is giving us nothing in this regard and we are now half a year into this... if it goes on for much longer without the mystery part progressing, then people will start to get bored. There is another example of this that I can think of, sadly, and that was Eric Wallace's generally lamentable Titans run with Deathstroke in the lead... it too went on forever with Deathstroke assembling all the bits he neede and never telling anyone why they were needed... and it wrapped up in the last 2-3 issues where we found out it was because Jericho had somehow contracted somekind of flesheating sickness that was killing him.

I dont know, but I will be dissapointed if the whole Lies/Truth story will pan out like Year One did, with alot of unconnected stuff between beginning and far too much wrapping up near the end.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    all origins are like a retread of earth one, excepts earth one only go for half of year one.
    That is true, the question I am asking is... why did we need this story told? The part with Barbara-Ann, that one I get... the rest, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Yeah, I'll take big, bad, dramatic Ares over the Frank Gallager-lite(Shameless) version from the New 52 any day.
    Sadly he's not really a character... he's just some thing that pops up out of nowhere, almost on command, talks some rubbish then gets swatted off. Kinda reminds me of Ronan from GotG, only Ronan had more personality.