Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    In general, I do think Golden Age Batman is short-changed compared to Golden Age Superman and Golden Age Wonder Woman. Golden Age Superman retains a certain pop-cultural resonance, between the sheer volume of discource around the Siegal/Shuster stories, as well as the Fleischer cartoons, Morrison's Golden Age-inspired New 52 run, more recently Superman Smashes the Klan etc. Golden Age Wonder Woman, at least on a superficial level, has remained relevant because of a number of adaptations set during WW2, including the Lynda Carter show, the Legends of Wonder Woman mini, and the Gal Gadot film (which swaps in WW1).

Golden Age Batman on the other hand is largely forgotten. Yes, he appeared in the Generations Shattered one-shot a few years back. Zero Year took some inspiration from those early stories (with the purple gloves in particular, as well as Dr. Death). The upcoming Caped Crusader cartoon seems to have gone with a very Golden Age design for the suit. But by and large, Year One has dominated people's perceptions of early Batman, and almost completely supplanted the actual early Golden Age stories.
    THIS. 100%! For being one of the only super hero characters to appear directly from the Golden into the Silver Age, the Golden Age/E2 Batman has gotten majorly screwed. He’s been dead now for 44 years (!), not counting All-Star Squadron and some flashbacks. What other major character has been dead and stayed dead that long? COIE really put the nail in that coffin, so to speak. With the return of the Huntress, there was a miniscule chance of it or at least the acknowledgement of his existence but no such luck apparently.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Commissioner Wayne View Post
    THIS. 100%! For being one of the only super hero characters to appear directly from the Golden into the Silver Age, the Golden Age/E2 Batman has gotten majorly screwed. He’s been dead now for 44 years (!), not counting All-Star Squadron and some flashbacks. What other major character has been dead and stayed dead that long? COIE really put the nail in that coffin, so to speak. With the return of the Huntress, there was a miniscule chance of it or at least the acknowledgement of his existence but no such luck apparently.
    So I look at it differently. The way I see it, the E2 Batman is a creation of the Silver/Bronze Age - an older alternate Batman who's virtually a 'possible future' of the then-contemporary version of the character.

When I think Golden Age Batman, I'm mainly thinking of the Batman from the earliest Kane/Finger stories, before he evolved into the more 'classic' version of the character who informs both the E2 Batman, and the Silver/Bronze Age Batman. I'm thinking not of Helena Wayne and the Bruce-Selina marriage, but of Batman with purple gloves taking on the likes of Dr. Death and the Monk and Hugo Strange in very pulpy and weird "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks" adventures.

That's who I want to see more of.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    So I look at it differently. The way I see it, the E2 Batman is a creation of the Silver/Bronze Age - an older alternate Batman who's virtually a 'possible future' of the then-contemporary version of the character.

When I think Golden Age Batman, I'm mainly thinking of the Batman from the earliest Kane/Finger stories, before he evolved into the more 'classic' version of the character who informs both the E2 Batman, and the Silver/Bronze Age Batman. I'm thinking not of Helena Wayne and the Bruce-Selina marriage, but of Batman with purple gloves taking on the likes of Dr. Death and the Monk and Hugo Strange in very pulpy and weird "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks" adventures.

That's who I want to see more of.
    Then maybe you should see THE BAT-MAN: FIRST KNIGHT by Dan Jurgens and Mike Perkins when it's due out in March (of 2024).